Ironman North America
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 51m 7s
Overall Rank = 2391/2398
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 374/399
Pre-race routine:

This is long and it get's whiny. I waited this long to post because I kept thinking I should rewrite it but decided this is how I felt. As I reread it I got mad at me....I'll understand if you do to.

Wow, where to begin? So there are certain things that you think you understand but come to realize later you had no idea. I knew how hard an ironman race was going to be..I knew what it would take to finish.I knew what people meant when they said there would be highs and lows.I knew injuries had taken away some training time and it might be a little harder than I thought.I didn't have a clue what I was talking about!!!

I arrived in Madison on Friday and was able to get checked into my hotel. It was about a 15 minute drive to Monona Terrace and to be honest I could not have gotten a better deal. I went down to the expo area to go through athlete check-in and was surprised that there were not long lines everywhere. I had my first GRRR moment of the weekend when I stopped at the USAT table and they said I had to pay the extra $10 for a one-day pass. Well I had paid my yearly fee but USAT has never sent me an updated card. Silly me, in this day and age you would think they could put it in a thing called a database and just pull it up. Oh well. After paying my money I went down to weigh in (small line) and then I collected all of my items. I got to talk to a guy who was doing his 20th ironman right in front of me. WOW!! After check-in I just walked around the building trying to get my bearings for race day. I then went back to the hotel until the athlete dinner and mandatory meeting. I thought the meeting was pretty cool, maybe because it was my first. Saturday bike check-in went well. I guess I was as ready as I could be.
Saturday night my wife had problems getting into town and didn�t show up until about 8. Big surprise however was that my Dad was with her and the kids�.Awesome!! I took them downtown so that they would know where they were going the next day and then we went out to get them some dinner. After everyone ordered I went out to the car to try and catch a nap while they ate�didn�t work. We got back to the hotel and I finally climbed into the sack around 1045 or so.
Race Day- alarm was supposed to go off at 415 but I was up at 4. Got the last of my gear together, showered, and woke up my wife to take me down to the terrace. I ended up getting dropped off just past the swim start because I had no clue where I needed to go. I walked all the way back to the terrace and then was told I had to go up to the Capitol building to drop off special needs bags. Some temporary signs would have been nice, but I just tried to talk to a few people and soak in the atmosphere. After dropping off the special needs bags I went back down to the swim area and wished good luck to some guys who run a tri down in Tremont. I put on my wetsuit and walked down to the water. I wanted to see the course so I walked over to the dock and talked to a pro down there who gave me some swim tips. After that I went to across the timing mat and entered the water. It was time.

Swim
  • 1h 37m 34s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I was one of the first people into the water and I waded in to my waist to the right of the start. I was talking to a couple of other first timers and trying to get used to the water. It was a little chilly at first but only took about 5 minutes to get used to. As others kept filing in Mike Reilly told us to move in so others could find the water. I wished those around me good luck and swam out past the Ford sign. I then just floated on my back until after the pros took off. I then �claimed my space� as the pro told me too and the next thing I knew the cannon went off.
The start of this race really wasn�t that bad. It was crowded but I had very little contact until about half way to the first turn buoy. This is when �catwoman� swam by me and opened a 6 inch gash under my right arm with her fingernails. Seriously folks, it drew blood. I couldn�t help but shout out at that one. The first turn was extremely crowded but the rest of the first lap was pretty uneventful. At the end of the first lap I decided to check my time just to see where I was. As I straightened up I saw 40 minutes which was right on time for me. That is when the first cramp of the day hit me. My right calf just locked up. WTF!!! I tried to float on my back but this was a doozy. I almost waved a canoe over but the dang thing was so far away I figured I could just swim it out. Well, the whole second loop was a battle. I didn�t use my legs at all as I was afraid another cramp would take hold. Unfortunately this slowed me down so much that I guess everyone caught up to me. I have a question for everyone�if we are not at the FOP then why the #^%$ do people swim over others? There was plenty of open water but I got hit so many times on the second loop that I was actually getting pissed off. About 100 yards from the waters exit a guy elbows me hard enough in the head to knock my goggles around. I turned to him and said a few choice words followed by �dude, the exit is right here!! WTF!!� I got an �oh sorry� out of that one but people do a few seconds really matter when we are at 1:37 anyway???? I exited the water and of course both calves cramped until I could get weight on them. I was very concerned at this point because I could not understand the cramping and was hoping this was not a sign of things to come. I walked over to the wetsuit strippers and I knew I should have picked some big beefy guy, but at this point I figured if it took a few extra seconds that was OK. Wetsuit was taken off and I began the run towards the helix.

What would you do differently?:

Not stop to check my time. I don't know why that would cause a cramp, but I was fine until that point. I wasn't overly tired and the apprehensions I had before the race about a mass start were not realized.
Transition 1
  • 16m 55s
Comments:

The run up the helix was pretty cool. Everyone was cheering and I was trying to use that energy to get ready for the bike. I ran into the bag area which was pretty empty at this point. I went into the changing tent found a spot right away and got ready for the bike. On the way out I got hit with sunscreen and stopped at the porta potty. As I made the turn at the top to turn around to my bike I saw Jennifer, Dad, and the kids. I had to run over and give her a kiss and wave at everyone. As I got to the bike I had to put the athlete tracker on my race belt and then I realized I didn�t have my HR monitor. DAMN!!! Well so much for going on HR. I ran my bike down to the other end and got on. Hard to believe this was almost 17 minutes but it was a good little jog and I wanted to go slow in the changing room so I didn�t forget nutrition. Oh Well.

Have my HR monitor in the bag!!!
Bike
  • 8h 05m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, where to begin. Well first off let me say that I thought this course had awesome support and scenery!! There was a large lake that looked like it might be a gravel pit or something out in the middle of nowhere that looked really awesome and there were signs and people everywhere!!
As we came out of Monoma terrace we rode down a bike path and then across a parking lot for a stadium. While going through the parking lot I noticed a bike up ahead pulled over and at the same time I saw glass….a lot of glass. There was not time to do anything except ride through it and hope. I went through the glass and luckily nothing happened but I thought “What the %$#?!?!?” I felt for the rider who obviously wasn’t as lucky as I was and just hoped that there would not be any flats later. As you ride through this first part there are a lot of sharp turns until you finally get to the “real road”. At this point I was riding well and didn’t feel bad at all. OK, good times right? I made it through the stem and began the loop portion of the ride. As I was riding this portion I tried to look around a lot and read the signs people had posted everywhere…there was some really good ones out there, with my favorite probably being “Chuck Norris never did an ironman!!” Too funny!! As we kept hitting some decent down hills I thought, man, what goes down must go up , I was right. We hit the first of the 3 big hills around mile 45 or so. I just put it in a low gear and spun all the way up. On the way up my legs really started to feel tired and I noticed a strain I had not felt before. It was almost like someone was stretching my muscles in my right leg and I started to get a little worried. I thought maybe I was just not used to a hill that long and it would get better. At the top of Sauk hill I saw my family and it was great!! I told them “whew, glad that hill is over!!” and rode on. I have to say that hill was cool with all of the spectators lined up and cheering you on. As I got to the next hill I could feel the beginnings of a cramp about ½ way up but it didn’t fully materialize so once again I just let it go. On the third hill I cramped at the top. I was able to ride through it but I was really worried about the affect it was going to have on me the next time around. This was the first time I really started to worry. I should not be feeling this tired so soon, and I definitely should not be cramping. Oh well, things will happen during an ironman just roll with it right? As I rode through Verona my legs got worse and worse. I was starting to cramp on little hills now. I couldn’t push it at all and my speed started to drop drastically. I was definitely not having fun and I really thought I could be in trouble on lap two. I looked at my time and knew I had plenty of time to finish, but since you never know what may happen on the run I wanted to be in by 4 at the latest…I would not make that. As I turned for lap 2 I stopped at special needs and grabbed some power bars. As I pulled my feet out of the pedals I noticed the bottom of feet were really feeling tender. Huh? OK, this is new. What the #$@% is going on?!? I got my special needs and started on lap 2.
Now on to the pain. Pretty much as soon as I left the special needs area my legs began to cramp constantly. I could not do much at all with my right leg so I started using my left leg to push and I only used my right leg to pull up on the pedal. Obviously after 5 miles or so my left leg started cramping. Great!! At this point I started feeling sorry for myself. I was pretty much berating myself for not being able to ride faster and telling myself to suck it up and just ride. The hard thing about this is that it is hard to be mad at yourself when you are in constant pain from cramping. I know this is getting whiny, but I actually at one point just prayed a car would run a stop sign and take me out. Nothing serious, just break a leg or something so I could stop. Stopping on my own was not an option because I knew I had too many people that were following me and I didn’t want to let anyone down.
As I came to Old Sauk Hill the second time I didn’t even make it 20 yards up the hill. I had to get off of my bike and walk it up. The only good thing about it at the time is there were not many people left at the hill. I was embarrassed that I had to walk and really didn’t want anyone to see me. The few people that were left were great, they kept saying “You’re doing great!! Just keep moving forward!! You’re almost at the top!!” I think it was awesome they were being supportive and I said thanks to them but tried to avoid eye contact because I basically felt like crap!! This scenario repeated itself on the next two hills. After those hills there is a little space where you ride in the country and have a small hill to go up. I decided that I could ride up that hill right? As I tried to go up the hill my right quad finally locked up really good, and as I tried to straighten it my left one locked up as well. I barely made it to the side of the road before I went down. I was able to unclip, but I was rolling around in the grass hitting my legs trying to get the cramps out. I must have looked pretty funny. At that time a support person was driving by and the guy got out of the truck and came over to me. “Are you alright?” he asked. As I am rolling around I gasp back, “I’m fine!! Just need to get these cramps out!!” Had to be funny. The guy asked if I was going to be able to continue. I of course said hell yes I was going to continue!!! He asked the other guy in the truck how long I had to go and the guy said 2 hours. I was only 16 miles or so away so the guy was like “ok, you have plenty of time. Have you been taking salt?” Huh? Salt? Oh crap!! Nope. So he tells me I should try and get some salt in me and tells me good luck and off they drive. By now the cramps have went away a bit and I am able to get on the bike and begin the crawl back to the terrace. I hit the stem and about half way back I see my family out in the middle of nowhere waiting for me. At this point I start to tear up a little because I really see no way that I am going to be able to finish this race. My legs are done, my spirits are terrible and I just want to quit. As I drive by them my wife yells out “How are you doing??!” I just look at her and shake my head. I wave at the kids and I keep going. When I talked to my wife later she told me at this point she looked at my dad and said “Oh he is not doing well. We need to hurry up and get back to the terrace so we can cheer him on more!!” Wow, what a lady. So they got in the car and hustled over to the transition area. Meanwhile I was able to get through the last part of the stem and as I went through the parking lot I went around a woman and told her good job!! She asked how I was doing and I told her there was no way I was going to finish (recognizing a theme yet?). She just smiled and said “You have plenty of time!! Just keep moving forward!!” Have I said yet how awesome people were? I pull into the terrace right behind another guy and as we ride up the helix we both are able to joke that this is the only “hill” that hasn’t hurt in 50 miles!! I get to the top and when I stop I somehow get off of the bike. I thank the volunteer for taking my bike and tell her to throw it away!! LOL….8 hours…wow…It is now 5 PM…

Train Train Train!!! My attitude was terrible once the cramps started so I would probably work on that. The only thing I am happy about is that I tok the time to look around and enjoy the scenery. I also thanked the volunteers a lot as I rode through the aid stations.
Transition 2
  • 10m 30s
Comments:

So, I get off of the bike and my feet let me know there is something seriously wrong there in addition to the cramping. Perfect!! I walk to the room where I get my bag and go into the dressing area. I don’t see why everyone makes such a big deal about it being crowded!!! There were only about 10 people in there when I made it in lol!! I sit down and I knew what would happen as soon as I did. Cramps in both legs. Oh well, at this point it was par for the course so I just went through my bag while it was going on. I must have looked pretty bad because the guy helping me asked if I wanted medical to come over. I told him I was fine, I just couldn’t stop cramping. About this time a trainer(?) came over and told me he would rub the cramps out…..uhh, thanks man, but you do realize that I need to get going right? I know I can’t run right now so I am not going to be able to take any extra time getting looked at. He started to work on my right leg anyway. YEEOUCH!! Let me tell you, a hard rub down on a leg that is cramping does NOT feel good!! LOL!! I let him work on it for about 10 seconds and then told him like 4 times thanks man, but I have to get dressed and keep moving forward!! I get changed and intentionally do not look at the bottom of my feet. I know it is bad and figure if anyone sees them they may try and stop me. As I walk out of the Men’s dressing area and past the women’s I yell “YES!! I am off of the bike!!!....uhhh, now I get to run a marathon!!” I hear some laughter as I head out the door. Right outside the door there are 5 women standing there to put sun block on you. I walk out the door and say “Who wants to rub my bald head???” I at least get some laughs and they lotion me up. I was trying folks..I really was trying to change my attitude. I hit the porta potty, first time all day, and run out. I didn’t see any family members, but I thought they just didn’t get back in time. I was depressed instantly.

Actually I really wish I would have looked at the bottom of my feet and popped the blisters. I think I would have been able to run more if I would have. Maybe that is just wishful thinking, but I know after I popped and drained them later it was much easier to walk.
Run
  • 6h 40m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahh, the run/walk/shuffle. As I came out of transition I tried to run. I was actually able to shuffle a little and the crowds helped. My feet were killing me, but they are supposed to hurt at this point right? I made a couple of turns and went past our special needs run bags. I tried to ignore the finish line and the noise I heard as people were cheering those that were finishing. As I passed the special needs area I saw my daughter. I looked up really quick and there was my wife talking to my dad. They had not seen me yet so I yelled at them. “There he is!!” yelled my wife. She ran over to me and asked me how I was doing. I looked at her and was glad I had sunglasses on so she couldn’t see the tears welling up. “I’m not going to make it.” She looked at me and just paused a second. At this point she was kind of jogging/walking next to me in the crowd and she yells “You change your attitude!!!! You will make it!! You just keep moving forward!! We are here for you!!!” I am tearing up as I write this. I told her she didn’t know how much I was hurting right now and she says “You just keep going!!!” Have I mentioned she is awesome? I tell her OK and I keep moving. She peels off and I found out later she told my dad that she hoped she had said the right things. She felt bad because she had yelled at me, but to be honest, if she hadn’t have yelled I probably would not have heard her. You did good babe!!
I was able to run for about a mile before I started cramping again and I began walking. I told myself that I could walk until I got my legs back and then once the sun went down I would start running. I made myself walk “fast” and told myself I could make it. I texted my wife at this point to tell her I was doing better and I thought it would be close. I talked to several people at this point and grabbed every salt tablet I could find. One guy I remembered from the bike was struggling pretty good. As I talked to him he told me that he missed the cutoff last year by 17 minutes and this was it for him. He was really having issues with his stomach and he didn’t think he was going to make it. I told him to just take some time to get himself together and then once he started feeling better he could run. The sun would be down at 730 or so and then if he was able to run he could make up the time. I think I was half talking to him and half to myself. I was really trying to encourage him though because I knew how he was feeling. I was wondering if I was going to make it too. So as I walked out of the downtown area and down by the lake I saw a lot of walkers coming back towards me. This actually made me think that maybe I had a shot. If others were walking and they didn’t look worried maybe I shouldn’t be….I was obviously not thinking clearly. I walked along the paths by the lake and we went back into the downtown area. At this point I forced myself to at least shuffle because there were a lot of people cheering us on and I wanted to at least try harder. At the turn around at mile 6 or so I saw my wife again. This time she and the kids jogged a little with me and this helped. I wish I could remember what she said to me but I was being pretty negative again and told her I just didn’t think I was going to be able to finish. Once again it was “keep moving!! You are fine!! You have plenty of time!!” Then I was alone again. The next 6 miles was kind of a blur. I remember checking my watch from time to time and it getting dark, but I do not really remember specifics. Weird. I tried to make up what time I could by running 2 cones and walking 2 cones. This actually worked for quite a while. I passed a volunteer around the stadium who told me I was not looking good and I should start drinking more or I could be in trouble…thanks. As I headed back into the downtown area this is where it actually started to get worse. At this point I was trying to jog a little again and everyone was saying “just one more mile!!!” and all I could think was no, 14 more miles…..I know they were trying to be supportive and they were trying to help us, but I have to tell you I got tired of hearing it. As I made the turn on to the straight away were the finish line is I moved over to the left. There was a guy pointing to the right with his hands for the finishers chute but I just looked at him and shook my head. He got a look on his face like “Oh dude, I am so sorry” and pointed to the left. Yeah, me too. As I went over the mat and turned around for the last 13 miles I did hear some great comments. “Keep going man!! Looking good!! You can do it!!!” I tried to smile even though I thought no way I can do it. It just took me 3 hours and 20 minutes and I ran what I thought was quite a bit. I have 3 ½ hours or so to go and I can’t run more than 20 yards without cramping…how am I going to finish in time? I left the downtown area and I tried to keep the run 2 cones walk 2 cones philosophy that I was doing earlier. The problem was my body was just not cooperating this time. I was cramping anytime I started running. I just started walking and said make it as far as you can before they pull you off the course. I kept checking my watch but my mind wasn’t working right and I couldn’t do the math. It would seem like it was going to be close, then it was like I can’t make it. I was a mess and feeling pretty sorry for myself. Pathetic. The second time down by the lake was really weird. The trail they had us walking on was dirt and at times it was so dark I could not see the ground in front of me. At the end of the trail they had these huge floodlights and when they came into sight they actually blinded you so I was walking with my hand in front of my eyes. I swear if someone would have been in front of me I would have run in to them. I just couldn’t see. As I came back into the down town area for my last turn around I was walking with my head down and suddenly my wife was right next to me. I must have been really out of it folks because I did not see her until she was 2 feet from me. She had a really worried look on her face and asked if I was OK. Fine I told her. As it turns out the tracking device I was wearing had messed up a little and I had jumped from mile 17 to mile 20. People watching at home had called her and they all thought I had made a wrong turn or had been taken away or something. I don’t know, but it had her even more worried. She walked with me a bit and talked to me. I walked over the mat and both her and my dad said I needed to keep the pace up...in other words I wasn’t going to make it at this pace. I told her I couldn’t run but I wasn’t going to stop. I told her I would see her later and I was off again. About this time a fellow competitor came up next to me. Jon told me “all we have to do is average 15 minute miles and we can make it!!” This was with 6 miles to go. I told him thanks but I couldn’t run without cramping. I told him he was great and he needed to go on so he could get his. I wasn’t going to make it. He said well good luck and he shuffled off. I said a prayer for him and kept moving.
So now I was at the point where there was about 4 ½ miles to go. I finally got a little mad at myself and said “OK, if you are not going to make it, you are not going to make it running not walking anymore. “ I decided that I was going to run until I either passed out or I made it to the finish. I knew that was my only hope. So I started running. And running. And running. After about a mile or so I caught up to Jon. He was like “Yes!! Way to go man!! Good to see you running!!” I told him I was running till the end and he said he would run with me. We had about 3 ½ miles to go. We ran together for about 2 miles and then he said we had time and he needed to walk up this hill we were on. I told him I couldn’t stop or else I was done and said see you at the finish!!! I still wasn’t convinced I was going to make it. As I came back into the downtown area I had about ½ a mile to go. I looked at my watch…20 minutes or so till midnight. What? Holy crap I am going to make it!!! Honestly, this was the first time since mile 50 on the bike that I actually thought I was going to make it. I couldn’t believe it. As we came to the capitol building and started going around it there was almost no one on the streets. The few people that were walking back to their hotels and such were yelling “yeah!! You’re going to make it!!” I walked for about 50 yards so that the person right in front of me could have his finish and so I would be able to have mine. I turned another corner and I could see the start of the crown at the last turn. I could see lights. I made it to the last turn and there was my wife and dad my oldest son who was the only child left awake. I ran over to my wife who was crying at this point and gave her a big kiss. My dad had this huge grin on his face and was yelling something but I honestly couldn’t hear him. I turned to my left and saw the finishers chute. My finishers chute. I jogged down to where I had turned around for lap two what seemed years ago and stopped. I then pounded my chest with my right fist and let out 3 or four huge yells!!! The crowd went nuts!!! There must have been 1000 people still there. I high fived a bunch a people on the left and then a bunch on the right. As I came up to the finish line suddenly I looked and Mike Reilly was right there. He put his arm around me and said “Dewey Wills YOU ARE” and then both he and all those people yelled “AN IRONMAN!!!!” I wish I could describe how it felt…I can’t. All I can say is I did not hurt at that moment.

Once again I wish I would have popped and drained the blisters before I started running. Other than that, just not be so down on myself, but I really didn't think I was going to make it and I thought I was going to let everyone down sooooo...I don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

I wish I realized that the photo for crossing that last line was the finish photo. It is funny because after hearing I was an ironman and walking away from Mike I just staggered across the line with my head down. My finisher photo is hilarious. After I crossed the line 2 guys caught me. I am so glad they were there because I think my body had said enough and I was not thinking clearly. They took me to get my medal and finishers shirt. We then went to the photo spot and they said can you stand for your finisher’s photo. “Hell yes!!!”, I said. They let me go and almost fell to the pavement. The looks on their faces were priceless!! They were like are you sure? I said I’m fine!! And walked over and got my picture taken. After my photo I looked for Jon and was able to see him cross the finish line. Yes!!! I was going to wait for him but it looked like they were taking him to medical…as it turns out he was hitting on some girl at the finish. Priceless!! I saw him the next day though and we able to get pictures. By this time my wife was at the exit area and I told them I was going to go over to her. I went over and she gave a big hug and told me how proud of me she was. My dad had made it down and he was as emotional as the rest of us. He said he was more proud of the way I had finished that race than if I had done it in 12 hours. I think it was because I didn’t quit. I whined and was down on myself and left the positive attitude bus in the scrap heap, but I didn’t quit. I told Jen I had to get some food. I went to the food area and grabbed a sub and sat down. After about three bites I was done. My wife and I then went to get my bike and transition bags. While in the terrace I started to feel funny and told Jen I had to sit down. She went to get my bags and I told her to just leave me there and her and my dad could get the van and I would meet them. “No way!!” she said. At this point I was lying down and according to Jen I started talking funny and I turned purple. In my recollection I was fine and kept telling her that. She got 2 inches from my face and said “You are a different color!!!” She got security to get a wheel chair and they started to wheel me up to medical. When we went outside I started to shake uncontrollably as I was suddenly freezing. We got to the medical tent about 1240 and everyone was gone. Jen was pissed!! I told her it was ok, it was late and all but she broke into some blankets and got one and a runner’s foil and put it around me. I told her I was fine and they wheeled me over to where my dad was. At this point I was feeling warm again and must have looked better because I was able to talk them into loading me into the van and we left for the hotel. Jen told me later if she knew I only went to the bathroom once all day I would have been in the emergency room. Hey, I wasn’t thinking clearly ok!!
So, that was my journey. It was long, it was whiny, and it was painful. I was probably as low as I had ever felt in my life and then I was at one of the highest points in my life (sorry wedding and kids are above it!!). For the first week after finishing I said there was no way in hell I would ever consider doing another ironman. Now I know I could do better. Will I try another one? I don’t know, but I am not definitely ruling it out. Right now though, I AM AN IRONMAN!!
Thanks for listening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and a vast underestimation of how much tougher a full is compared to a 1/2.

Event comments:

I wish I could have finished earlier so I could have enjoyed some post race festivities!!! I think medical should be open later for the late finishers. Sometimes it takes a while after we finish before we know how bad we really are.

Last updated: 2009-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:37:34 | 4224 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 357/399
Overall: 2229/2398
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course: rectangle, 2 loop course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 16:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
08:05:12 | 112 miles | 13.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 386/399
Overall: 2428/2398
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 10:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:40:57 | 26.2 miles | 15m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 361/399
Overall: 2277/2398
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-01 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-10-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3127846

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

Great report! Not many Ironmen can say they negative split the run of their IM! Congratulations!

2010-10-17 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3127846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Great rr, thanks for sharing.  You showed GUTS man, to tough that out.  After our conversation at the dinner, I had a feeling that you didn't entirely know what you were in for, but at that point you just have to go with what you have.  Every race is a learning experience for the next one.

Chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed