United States
Premier Event Management
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 08m 32s
Overall Rank = 2317/2443
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 404/421
Pre-race routine:

Woke up very early (4:00, but this was 3:00 my time). Arrived at transition about the time it opened. I wanted to make sure to avoid as much traffic as I could. Then I was able to relax. Since I wasn't starting until wave #23 it was a very long time of waiting. My wife and I just hung out in the car and tried to avoid the rain.
Event warmup:

A little stretching.
Swim
  • 30m 18s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very, very pleased with my swim. I was expecting 40 minutes. To beat that by 10 minutes was awesome. The course is fast and wetsuit legal. For a guy who used to struggle with the swim, this was a huge win and made the entire day worth it.
What would you do differently?:

I was really wanting to start out slow then build up my speed. I purposely started at the back of my wave. Unfortunately I got pinned in for the first 300 - 400 yards. If I would have know I was going to feel so go on the swim I would have positioned myself at the start differently.
Transition 1
  • 07m 8s
Comments:

This was a long run to transition. I could have been a little faster but purposely took my time making sure I was ready for the bike. My feet became very muddy and I took the time to sit down and wipe them before putting on socks.Also, there was a lot of congestion in transition.

Not a whole lot. Would has possibly tried to move a little faster, but I was wanting to leave transtion with a clear head and relaxed.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I had a good pace on the bike for my fitness level. I still need to improve my speed. I had predicted a 3:30 finish so I did about what I expected.

The last couple of months leading up to the race I was able to improve my speed greatly on my long rides, but I need to work even harder on building up my speed.
Transition 2
  • 05m 55s
Comments:

I changed into dry socks and stopped at the port-a-potty so overall not a bad time.
Run
  • 2h 58m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to do better than a 3:00 run and I barely beat it. I need to get my run going a little faster. I thought my strategy for the run was adequate for my expectations but I really need to focus on my running for future races. My hamstrings were starting to cramp so most of the "run" was a combination of walking and running. I never gave up and continued to run at specified intervals.

Train harder.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I thought my training was great to reach my ultimate goal of finishing and to finish between 7:00-7:30. I do need to work hardr and longer in order to improve my time.

Event comments:

I had a great time. This was probably the most enjoyable race I have ever completed. I felt I was well trained to reach my goals, now I just have to set loftier goals.

I was disappointed when I crossed the finish line that they had run out of finisher medals. I have never received a valid explanation from the race director and I am extrmely mad that they have no properly addressed this situation. Besides that, the race was great.

Last updated: 2010-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:18 | 2143 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/421
Overall: 1329/2443
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: It is a point to point course that runs with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:27:05 | 56 miles | 16.23 mile/hr
Overall: 2363/2443
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: It is a one loop course. There are 3 or 4 rolling hills but nothing too steep. It rained roughly 70% of the bike. This made the course a little tougher, but I felt great on the entire bike.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:58:08 | 13.1 miles | 13m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 2430/2443
Performance: Below average
Course: Very flat two loop course. Very spectator friendly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-01 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-10-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3128364

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Congrats on your race. Keep putting in the work and your times will get better. I think it really sucks that they ran out of medals for you guys. No excuse would make me happy. Hopefully they will do right by you guys.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed