Hershey Entertainment
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 13s
Overall Rank = 1017/1960
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Cheered my wife off with the walkers, then went back to the car to warm-up :)
Jogged a bit (200 yards or so) and stretched for a while.
Event warmup:

Jogged a bit (200 yards or so) and stretched for a while.
Run
  • 2h 05m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great. Got off to a nice pace (about 9:15's or so). My right knee (my good one :) ) started to hurt around mile 3 and that limited my late effort. I did finish faster than I wanted, but could have been even faster. I had to stop to stretch my left leg twice. Couldn't bend my left leg a whole lot after about mile 7. Killed me on the down hills. Sitting with ice now.

I ran the entire race (which was a goal) with my buddy Russ. Despite the severe knee pain, he said (as we hit the turn on the track in the stadium) "Come on, let's make it hurt" and we proceeded to sprint the final 100 yards to the finish! The best part? The crowd went nuts, the pain went a way and I laughed my ass off the whole sprint!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! I don't think I could have controlled my knee pain and I went faster than planned!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, ate, drank the right ammounts.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Right knee

Event comments:

This race, in my opinion, was awesome! The people of Hershey were so happy and cheerful! Lots of people sitting outside their houses cheering us on. Tons of drinks available and happy helpful helpers! Stations every 2 miles or so seemed just right (though I did have a bottle with me and only refilled at mile 9 or so). A couple of people had private aid stations at their houses (one was donuts and coffee and another was a Brownie troop with Gatorade). I loved this race! Included was a nice tech shirt, a finishers medal, some candy and a HUGE chocolate chip cookie, plenty of food and drinks at the end and FREE admission into the park for runners and their families the night before from 6-9!

Including the runner relays, I finished 1056/2200!!

Last updated: 2010-05-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:42 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1960
Performance: Good
2:03:39 moving time 9:31 ave pace, 9:22 ave pace moving time. 8:54 fastest mile (4), 10:37 slowest (mile 10 - when we caught up to our wives! walked/ ran with them for a bit and also 3rd stretch stop). 183 fastest heart rate, 138 ave.
Course: Loop through Hershey Park, Hershey and through part of the homes for the Hershey School. Couple little hills here and there, but basically flat. Times based on my Garmin which I started just before I hit the start line (not official time).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-03 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
Subject: Hershey Half Marathon

2010-10-04 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3130449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Hershey Half Marathon

Good job!  Sounds like a nice race I should do one day.

2010-10-05 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3130449

South Central PA
Subject: RE: Hershey Half Marathon
It was a fun race.  The first half was "hillier" on paper, but the second half was much more open and the wind had a greater effect. 

I also have to say that the volunteers and fans were awesome.  There were a ton of people out along the streets, especially for being a fairly small race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hershey Half Marathon Rss Feed