Pikes Peak Community Foundation
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 5s
Overall Rank = 21/220
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Normal breakfast. Drove 5 minutes to race.
Event warmup:

Slower running on the dirt roads and a few striders.
Run
  • 43m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The race was held in conjunction with a 5K with about 350+.

I started near the front and got off to a good start. Stayed behind a couple of the faster runners going across the field. It seemed like an easy pace, but we picked it up once the trail started. Hit mile 1 at 6:55. Ran strongly on the single track with its up and down areas and loose sandy footing. Hit mile 2 right at 14:00. The 5K split off there and I focused on maintaining a strong pace and chasing down people in front of me. About mile 3 I could see my AG leader about a quarter mile or so in front and running hard. I spent the rest of the race working to close the gap. Almost made it, but fell short by a few yards by the finish. Good race. New PR! Took almost 30 seconds off my old PR. Ran over a minute faster on this course than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe start near my AG leader, but I didn't spot him in the crowd. He must have gone out very hard to have that big of a gap.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few cups of water and some Gatorade. Chatted with some friends. Waited for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, except maybe taking the day off before the race.

Event comments:

Fun little race. It provides benefits to help keep the Venetucci legacy of sustainable farming and providing free pumpkins to thousands of young school children alive.

Last updated: 2010-10-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:05 | 06.21 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 5059/220
Performance: Good
Course: True cross country course through farm fields, single track and dirt roads on the Venetucci Farm and Pinello Ranch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-04 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: Great Pumpkin Run 10K

2010-10-05 5:24 AM
in reply to: #3132173

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Subject: RE: Great Pumpkin Run 10K
WOW... great race.  I'm new to running, about 4 months now, and I've been following your advice along with some others on this site.  It's slow going, but I'm staring to look forward to my runs and I'm seeing small improvements.  Again, great race and thanks for the information you share on this site.  It's a tremendous help to newbies like me!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Pumpkin Run 10K Rss Feed