Capri Events
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 55s
Overall Rank = 485/688
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 36/78
Pre-race routine:

Woke up real early on race morning as I am one of those insane people who like to be there when transition opens. Had some Special K with fresh blueberries and some water/gatorade endurance at the house. I then ate a banana on the 1 hour car ride to the event. Finally, I had a gel about 30 minutes before my wave start.
Event warmup:

Open water swim from the course start to the first marker and back, twice. I also did a few beach starts and finishes.
Swim
  • 13m 33s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was a bit choppy but after my stint at Ohio Street beach two weeks before in 3-5 feet swells, it didn't seem that bad. Thank god for the training partner that says "It can't be as bad at it seems". Once again I placed myself to far back in the pack. I was ready to run-in, dolphin dive, and swim and I kept finding myself behind others who wanted to walk and wade until the water was over their head. Once I was able to swim my navigation and stroke felt good, only once did I find myself drifting a bit to the east of the course. And on the way in, not only was I able to catch a few waves but I drafted another swim most of the way without accidently touching her once!!
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the pack. And maybe, swim in my wetsuit as I ordered one from Promotion that should be here Thursday!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

The run from the swim to the bike was a bit long but I am getting better with running on pavement. Once I got to my station, I was a bit rushed. I forgot to grab my gels for the bike/run. Bike mount was poor. I still have not mastered my technique on this. And then when I got on the bike, my bike computer was having an issue. Instead of just forgetting about it, I messed with it for a while and took a long time getting up to speed.

Calm down a bit in T1. Tape gels to the bike and/or just swim with them in my suit pockets. Stop messing with the bike computer.
Bike
  • 46m 32s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

After seeing my time, I was a bit disappointed. I really thought I did better on the bike. I believe what happened was the headwind I had on the southern portions of the course really caused me some trouble. In addition, I am still not real comfortable with passing and would have to slow my pace in order to convince myself to make go ahead an speed back up for the pass.

Need to work a bit more on pushing myself on the hills and my hill gear changes.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Once again, I have no idea what happened to me in T2. I managed to get off the bike somewhat quickly and safely and to the rack. Once there I took of my bike shoes and socks, only to have to put the socks back on. I also hestitated with my running shoe choice. For the past few months I have come to hate my running shoes. I have been running in the same style shoe for 2 years but this last pair has sucked. I get weird foot pain everytime I wear them. So the day before this race, i went to the local running store and learned my shoes were too small. So in T2, I looked at my old shoes and my new shoes (that had not been run in) and had to make a choice. Run in shoes that I know will hurt my feet or take a chance on the new shoes. I took a chance.

Need to work on bike dismount. And need to focus on what needs to be done.
Run
  • 39m 50s
  • 3.98 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot hot hot. This was one of the longest four mile runs I have ever done. I did my best to stay focused and cool. I walked all the water stops and drank at each. Also, at each stop I dumped water on my head and/or chest. Besides for the heat, it took me much longer than usual to get my running legs. Usually I am fine .5-.75 miles in but it wasn't until 1-1.5 that I finally felt ok. I think this is because my vacations over the last month have prevented me from brick training. Oh yes, and at mile 3.25 I needed to use the restroom but there were none on the course.

Not sure what I could have done to stay cooler. Need to include more brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching and a nice picnic lunch (with a diet coke) in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The temperature. And having two weeks of vacation, one week prior to the race. I did some training on vacation but not as much as I would have donw had I been at home.

Event comments:

Despite my above-mentioned issues in transition, the obscene temperature, and that this wasn't an "A" level race for me, I felt I did an ok job. I felt good afterwards and the next day. Plus the course support and the after picnic was awesome.

Last updated: 2005-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:33 | 800 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/78
Overall: 0/688
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: The 800 yard swim took place at Waukegan Beach on Lake Michigan . It was a rectangular swim- heading east from the beach (about 150 yards), then north (about 500 yards), then west (about 150 yards) back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:32 | 13.05 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: A 2-loop course on closed roads. The majority of the ride was on a divided four lane highway.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:39:50 | 03.98 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: An out and back course. Some on roads through the harbor and part on shaded residential roads.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-07-27 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: Harbor Lights

2005-07-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: #208584

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: RE: Harbor Lights
This is only my second co-ed race. And adding men to the mix sure does throw of my finishing place. In this race I was an overall BOP finishing 485 out of 688. However, in my age group I was 36 out of 78 and with just the women I was 152 out of 255. Which is where I live to be -- MOP.

Maybe this is why women's only races are so poplar....

Deanna
2005-07-27 10:05 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Great race last Sunday. Don't worry about the run, everyone suffered in that ridiculous heat. Nice job!
2005-07-27 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Hey Deanna  - nice race, despite all the nasty conditions!  Mother Nature sure did make it a difficult race, eh?    Good job on the swim - I'm always amazed at people who talk strategy for the swim portion, when I'm pretty much just doing my best to stay afloat and get to the finish line!  And the run... I completely agree -- one of the longest 4 mile runs I've ever done, I just kept wondering when it was finally going to END. 

Nice race!  You doing Accenture next?
2005-07-27 3:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Well done!  Of course now that the race is over the weather drops to a nice, cool 70 today!  That run was killer, you should be pleased with your finish!
2005-07-27 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Congrats on the  race.  As everyone has echoed...the heat was killer and that run was awful..especially the last mile.  Hoping next year is just like today.

JT

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harbor Lights Rss Feed