BBSC
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 6s
Overall Rank = 144/385
Age Group = 40 + big boys
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 5:00. One of the things I have a hard time with is food especially breakfast, so I went with bowl of oatmeal and a peanut butter powerbar and gatorade. Ended up being a good pick as I had energy the whole race. Transition opened @ 7:00 and I was there at 7:10. I had hoped to get a end rack, but my reserve row was taken. So I set up closest to the end. My wave started 9:40 so I had time to spare. Since I had to park my car outside of the park(which was a mile away), I put on headphones and watched "50 First Dates" to relax and not be so nervous.
Event warmup:

I watched the olympic distance wave start and just ate another power bar and drank water.
Swim
  • 12m 52s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the far right to take a wide turn because I didn't want to get into the bottle necking on the first bouy. After the first turn got into a steady pace and tried to find someone to draft. But everyone I found was too slow or fast. I tried to keep a good pace, but got a little tired after the last bouy. Got to the shore and swam till my hand could touch the ground.
What would you do differently?:

Pace better. Train more for distance swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I had left my sandals at the shore to slip on after the swim, so I wouldn't hurt my feet. Decided not to put on sandals and just run up to transition. I forgot to un velcro my bike shoe, so that took an extra 10 second. Wetsuit came off fast. Got helmet, watch & shades on and I was off. Ended up having the fastest T1 time in my division.

Have bike shoe un-velcro and ready to good. Save money to buy a bike computer (instead of wearing a watch - garmon forerunner 305)
Bike
  • 46m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I have ridden this course at least once a week this whole summer so I knew what to expect. My plan was to stay as fresh as I could the whole way. The first 1.5 mile, I was breathing a little heavy, I was a little worried that I may not have the legs to get over the hill. At mile 3 I got my breathing under control and got into a good pace. I climbed the hill as I have done all summer, got to the turnaround and I knew I was doing good because I didnt get passed as much I expected. Flew down the hill and I was feeling good.

More bike. Challenge myself with the hills I have my area. Loose some more weight.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I always site my bike rack with an arrow or shape that I draw on the ground with baby powder. Well someone brought balloons so I used the balloon as my siting, but the balloon was on a rack that was behind my rack and I totally forgot about it. As I was racking my bike, it took 10 seconds to figure out that I was on the wrong rack. After I racked correctly, got my socks then my shoes on. Grabbed my race belt & visor and off I went. Still ended up with the fastest transition time.

Nothing, beside racking bike on correct rack.
Run
  • 33m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanting to run strong and think positive thoughts. In the past (I have done 4 open watertriathlons) I would be tired and couldn't go any faster. I always get angry at myself for doing this event and start telling myself I shouldn't be out here with all of these better athelets. Well I started off strong and I felt good. I was tired, but I could still run. At both aid stations @ mile 1 & 3 I had one cup of water, which helped alot as it was getting hot. I got passed and I passed people as well. I was able to pick up the pace on the turn around. I had hoped to break a 10 minute mile, but I'm getting faster.

Run more. Loose weight.
Post race
Warm down:

They give out a waterbottle, gel, bananas, oranges & bread. Walked around. Recovered my sandals at the docks. Got a free lunch (bar -b - pork sandwich) from one of the sponsors.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More conditioning and loose weight.

Event comments:

I did another tri back in May that was the exact same course as Kokopelli and I improved by 3 minutes. Also went to look at the results and found out that I got second place in my division!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:52 | 820 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/385
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One loop
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:16 | 12.43 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Wind:
Course: out and back. with a major hill at mile 4.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Course: Out and back. Exact course of the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-06 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Kokopelli Triathlon

2010-10-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3136652

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Kokopelli Triathlon

Super race, Sterling - congratulations!!!  You really put things together to get second in the division - WOW.  Don't think for a SECOND that you don't belong - you are more than worthy of being out there and dont have to apologize to anyone - great race - can't wait to see what you do in the future!!

2010-10-12 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3136652

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Kokopelli Triathlon

Hey Sterling, I meant to post this the other day but didn’t get a chance to do it.

Wow what a race! You did great and that was some swim too. If you are 2nd in your age group you don’t just deserve to be out there you should be out there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kokopelli Triathlon Rss Feed