General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev5 May Knox to IMKY August...Enough Tiime to Train for Full? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-08 7:56 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Rev5 May Knox to IMKY August...Enough Tiime to Train for Full?
I'm planning on doing the Rev3 May Knox 1/2 next year and was wondering if I would have enough time to train up for the full at KY?  I don't want to overtrain for the 1/2 and want to consider both races as my A race...vs using the 1/2 as a training race.  My swim endurance will be fine by the 1/2 to be able to do the full in August.  My run should be fine, because I can maintain the long distance runs and get in a few 20s for the full. My concern is the bike.  For the 1/2, I only plan to peak at 1 or 2 x 75 milers for my long bike ride and was worried that I would not have enough time for KY.  Also, this will be my first 1/2 Iron and first Full Iron.  I've done a few marathons in the past and know how to plan for these.  Since I'm still new to Tris, I was originially thinking of just using 2011 as 1/2 Iron year...May Rev and Sept Augusta and focusing on building speed, then in 2012 go for a full Iron.   However, I didn't know if it was worth it to go from May to August and build upon the training or set out a full year to train for a full Iron.  My goal is to finish well and not just to finish... Any thoughts? 

2010-10-08 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3140434

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rev5 May Knox to IMKY August...Enough Tiime to Train for Full?

Not sure of the exact dates but I think it has to be in the area of 10 or so weeks between both.  If you haven't settled on a training plan you may want to check out "Be Iron Fit" as it has a half scheduled 8-10 weeks out from doing a full.  Followed it for my first full at B2B and enjoyed the program overall.  I did the half as a pacing day and not to PR and it worked out well.

2010-10-08 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3140456

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Rev5 May Knox to IMKY August...Enough Tiime to Train for Full?
rottieguy - 2010-10-08 9:05 AM

Not sure of the exact dates but I think it has to be in the area of 10 or so weeks between both.  If you haven't settled on a training plan you may want to check out "Be Iron Fit" as it has a half scheduled 8-10 weeks out from doing a full.  Followed it for my first full at B2B and enjoyed the program overall.  I did the half as a pacing day and not to PR and it worked out well.

Exactly what I'll be doing.  "A" race is IMC and I'll be using Rev3 Quassy as an early season tune-up/pacing event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev5 May Knox to IMKY August...Enough Tiime to Train for Full? Rss Feed