The Woodlands Township
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 23s
Overall Rank = 217/1669
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/127
Pre-race routine:

Local race for me, so I slept in. Had a little drink and a gel on the way to the start.
Event warmup:

No warm up Just walked around the Market Street start area a little bit. The start chute had some pace signs up to try and get people to self-seed. I started a few yards behind the 8:00 sign.
Run
  • 1h 18m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run for me. I got off to a slow start, but was able to build pace and I'm sure I negative split by a minute or two.

Aid stations were every two miles, with water and some sort of "sports drink" Not sure what the sports drink was. I tried it at three stations and it was a very dilute tasting grape flavor.
What would you do differently?:

Self-seeding works great if everyone does it. I don't think a lot of people know what that really means. My first mile was about a minute slow due to the congestion, and all of the packs of slower runners up front. The first mile or so of this race is on two lanes, but you tend to get groups of running club members that spread out five and six wide, that makes passing difficult. I'd say it took about two miles for things to get sorted out pace wise. I'm sure I could have saved some time by starting further forward.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around Market Street and watched the finish a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been doing a lot of LSD-type runs, but very little speed work. This is my fouth year in a row doing this race, and this is a PR for me by about 3-minutes. I was focused on breaking 1:20, but now I'm thinking I could get to 1:15 with more tempo and speed work! Oh, and maybe some Newton running shoes. I hear they give you :30 per mile...Oh, and maybe losing 15 or 20 pounds could speed me up a little.

Event comments:

Fantastic 10-mile race. Course is flat and fast. The event is very well organized and well run. Swag this year was a long-sleeve tech shirt, head dweats cap, and a finisher medal.

Last updated: 2010-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:18:23 | 10 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/127
Overall: 217/1669
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a very flat single loop. Surface is one lane of concrete and a very wide asphalt shoulder.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-10 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: 10 for Texas

2010-10-10 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3143509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: RE: 10 for Texas
g_shotts - 2010-10-10 8:40 AM

Nice race and perfect weather for it!  If you do the Turkey Trot 5mi make sure to seed yourself incorrectly too -- Last year seeding was awful. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10 for Texas Rss Feed