United States

90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My timing chip malfunctioned! I don't have times! Just as well, they are probably embarassing.

Didn't sleep well, due to the huge storm that moved in. We were staying at my Grandma's house about 15 minutes away. I woke up and had a yogurt, pineapple, and peach smoothie. We left for transition at 5:30 and got plummeled by the rain on the way. Arrived to find everything delayed for awhile, so we just sort of chilled out. I ate a banana at 6:30, then a gel about 20 minutes before my wave.
Event warmup:

Slacked here. Just stretched. I was over confident.
Swim
  • 20m
  • 440 yards
  • 04m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a nightmare! Did average out to the end of the pier to the point where you make the first turn. I then took a solid foot to the face that knocked me silly. I took in a lot of that lovely Green Bay water. I just sort of bobbed for awhile trying to recover. Disagreements with the lifeguards ensued. They were insisting on bringing me in, and I said I need to finish. I kid you not - I ended up doggie paddling almost a third of it while I recovered. Another set of lifeguards pulled me onto a jetski which I promptly jumped off and started the swim back to shore. If I had a time, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that I finished last. It was about 20 minutes or so according to my HR monitor. This was just horrible.
What would you do differently?:

Getting kicked is part of the game. It happens to everyone. I really wish I hadn't swallowed all that water, since it made me a little ill. I would practice a little more in larger bodies of water. I am finding that it is not a natural feeling to be swimming out and all you see on the horizon is more water.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I lost myself in transition. Luckily it was small and I was able to identify my rack quick - it was the one with the lone bike in it :) While I was putting on my shoes, I saw a man from the wave in front of me getting out of the water, so I instantly felt like less of a loser.

Better visual of where my transition area is
Bike
  • 35m
  • 11 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Estimating 35 minutes based on what speeds I was getting on my computer (which is known to be wrong). Wore my running shoes because I'm not comfortable running in the cleats and I never mastered the jump into the shoes clipped to the pedals thing.

Maybe try the cycling shoes.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

No idea how I did here. I lost my chocolate GU and probably spent a good minute looking through my transition pack. Ahhhhh, found a vanilla, which I like better anyway. Grabbed 2 or 3 of the freebies on the way out to the run.

Nothing. I'm not fast, I'm not a racer. I'm doing it to have fun and I think I handled it fine.
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Time is a random guess. I have no idea how I did, as I accidentially reset my HR monitor stopwatch after the swim and never restarted it. I walked a good chunk of the first mile. I was emotionally drained after such an awful swim. I was angry at myself and was just beating myself up. Just then, I saw the same man that I saw in T1 who was in the wave in front of me. I knew as long as I kept him behind me, I was not going to finish last. That was all I needed and kept an OK pace from the turnaround to the finish line. I had quite a burst of energy for the last 1/4 mile, which just solidifies that I didn't try hard enough earlier in the run.

Have more fun. And don't confuse emotions with fatigue!
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, and then went to get some fruit. Had some water melon, and a pulled pork sandwich. Mmmm. Found my husband, scooted to transition then back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim really threw the whole race off for me. I really need to learn how to seperate the stages of this race. I can't carry a bad swim with me into the bike and the run anymore. It was hot too.

Event comments:

This was the best run athletic event I have ever participated in. They can't control the weather, and did their best to recover from it. This was so well planned. Can't wait to do it again! If I can recover from the terrible shape I am in this summer, I may do the long course next summer.

Comments to the race organizers: get me a functioning timing chip next time! Also, widen the turn-around for the bike short course.

Last updated: 2005-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:00 | 440 yards | 04m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course: Lots of algae swept up from the storm the night before. The storm also caused the water temp to drop and I wasn't prepared.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:00 | 11 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat and straight. Still wet from the storm in some areas, but not slick. The turnaround was a little tight with the way the cones were set up. My family that was spectating was watching right at the turnaround and said that there were a few crashes. Hopefully they widen this next year.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Straight up and back down Bay Shore Dr. - flat and smooth. No shade for the first 1.5 miles, which caused me to walk a lot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes