Saw Sports Productions
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 50s
Overall Rank = 39/120
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Ok, let me back up to last night, because I am completely at a loss on the effectiveness of my 'typical' pre-race festivities. I had 2/3 of a large pepperoni pizza and washed it down w/ a ice cold coke for dinner last night. Asleep by 10:00, up at 3:30. Had a PB sammich, 1/2 bottle of Odwalla Vanilla protein drink and 12 oz cup of joe about 4:15ish on the drive down to the race. None of this is what I have done in the past.

Transition setup was uneventful, except for the jackass that decided to show up late, take up like 10 sq ft w/ his fkn double sized beach towel and BUSKET(!!!), then put the front tire of his fkn bike right ON my bag. What a douche. If that coward had actually had the sack to come back into transition after he did this (which was during the safety brief BTW), I was gonna punch him in his faggot face. I was just praying I beat him into T1 so I could toss his bike to get to my stuff.
Event warmup:

Swam around for 10 mins or so, mainly to get used to water and just get the HR up a little bit
Swim
  • 12m 20s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sure felt more like 500! I dunno if I was getting good drafting or if it's the yards/meters difference, but I was surprised to see the clock when I came out of the water. Military category went off in the last wave w/ the women and as luck would have it, it was timed perfectly as the 1st wave was coming around for lap 2, so I had about 30 people to swim with en mass style at first. Got swam over a little, bumped a few people, or they swam into me, but didn't get mad or feel uncomfortable at any point. I couldn't see crap in front of me and almost got kicked in the face a couple times by some girl that was furiously kicking her legs so I moved to her outside and just tried to draft as close as I could. This course made left turns at the buoys, which was a first for me, and I think it put me at a disadvantage because I only breathe to the right so I was really pleased w/ my sighting to keep on line.
What would you do differently?:

Bring my clear goggles next time. I was anticipating sunnier skies since we didn't start until 7:30 and it was almost like swimming w/ my eyes closed.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

We had like a freakin 1/2 mile uphill run up to transition out of the water so I just jogged and tried to catch my breath until I got in to the transition area. We had a flat, but curvy double left turn out of transition so I was stoked to finally use the flying squirrel mount! I had my plan for when I would get into my shoes out on the main road, but I freakin forgot to undo the velcro when I put them on my bike! I had to laugh at myself as I was getting into them, but it probably only cost me a few seconds more. And that assmaster that racked over me was already gone when I got to the bike rack :/. No face punching for me.

Remember to open my shoes. Other than that, maybe find some way to get my suit off faster.
Bike
  • 41m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

My Garmin said there were 'multiple HR monitors found' so I had no idea what my HR was for the bike. Which sucked, because that's how I was going to judge how hard to ride. RPE for me! I think I may have ridden a little easier than I should have, but nothing that would have put me any higher in the AG ranking I don't think. I was still gunshy from going to hard in Vegas and blowing the run, so better to lose a minute here and gain two on the run. Cornered in the aerobars finally, that was a bonus. The wheelbuilder wheel and powertap performed great, no issues.

Not sure. For the amount of riding I do and the 1/2 mile ridiculous hill at the end, I wasn't upset w/ my average speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Nothing special, my usual blast thru T2. Quickest T2 in AG again, lol. :D

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Passed 4 or 5 guys on the run, didn't get passed by anyone. That always makes me feel good. I'm sure they weren't in my AG anyway. Again, given my ZERO speedwork and minimal weekly run training, ~24 min 5k is acceptable to me. I'd like to be down around 21 minutes, but that will take some work.

Train to go faster
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of gatorade while waiting for my free massage and the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training

Event comments:

The Bigrock website needs some help, but I was very pleased to see that this event was extremely well organized with plenty of volunteers, well marked course, police support at all intersections, on time events, etc. I will definitely come back to do this race again.

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:20 | 800 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Average
Suit: bib john
Course: Out n back rectangle, 1 lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:20 | 12 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 0/120
Avg 155 watts
Wind: None
Course: Felt like a lot of uphills to me!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good