Nike
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 56s
Overall Rank = 6084/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at a four star hotel (The Fairmont) where I just happen to get a discount from work. Very nice...but the downside was not having an in room coffee maker. One of my friends brought her hot pot--and the other suggested we swing by Starbucks the day before and pick up some Cafe Via. Problem solved! Got up at 4:30--showered and dressed. Made a quick bowl of oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit. Ate a banana. Washed the whole thing down with Starbucks instant coffee. Good to go!
Event warmup:

Warm up? Are you kidding me? With 20,000 race participants lining up around four city blocks, there was no room to warm up. Walking from our corral to the starting line was about all the warm up you could get.
Run
  • 2h 27m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Unless you were a front of the pack runner and had a relatively clear path in front of you, any thoughts of actually 'racing' this race had to be thrown out the window. And even for them, there were so many walkers that they started early, chances are they caught them early in the race and were dealing with all that. This was not a race. It was an event.
What would you do differently?:

This is my third half marathon. Based on my running experience and my training, I thought there was a possibility that I would at least meet my personal best time, if not improve upon it so long as my shins held up. My shins actually were pain free, so it should have been all systems go. Not with 20,000 others on the course though.

If I were to run it again (and I don't think I will just because of the size of the crowd), I would go into it with a different expectation. You're there to participate in an event that raises a great deal of money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It's about finishing and enjoying the journey--not seeing how fast you can run it.
Post race
Warm down:

No time for warm down. It was starting to rain pretty good at the finish line. And it was cold and breezy by the ocean. All we wanted to do was get our finishers stuff, get on the bus back to Union Square, and get out of our sweaty clothes.

The hot shower back in the hotel was the warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

19,999 other obstacles! Of the three of us who went to this event together, I had the second best time. Liz, who had the best at 2:17, ran this event last year and wanted to beat her time (she didn't). She did the bob and weave the entire course and was totally disappointed that she could only muster a 2:17. If it hadn't been so clogged up with people, she probably could have done a 2:10 or better based on how I know here training has gone and the paces she is usually able to achieve when we run together. Lisa ran it in 2:30. Based on how the three of us run under normal circumstances, Liz should have been in the 2:10ish range, I should have been in the 2:14to 2:17 range, and Lisa should have been in the 2:20ish range. What are you gonna do though?

Event comments:

I gave this race a pretty poor rating...but that's because it really wasn't a race. It was an event. As far as events go, it ranks much better. Everyone should experience such an event at least once...but no more.

Last updated: 2009-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:27:56 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat the first 5ish miles...and then the hills started at mile 6 when you came to the Presidio. They advertise 'no cable car hills.' That's probably true because some of those are steep (10-12%) and long. But these were probably as steep, but about half or less the length. Up, up, and up. Between all the walkers on the course already and the grade of these hills, 95% of the crowd ended up walking them anyway. The few that tried to run them had to bob and weave so much that in most cases, I was walking them faster than they were running them. Crazy waste of energy. The course is very, very scenic. At one point you come around the bend as you approach the Presidio and there is a stunning view of the Golden Gate Bridge. So stunning, in fact, that runners and walkers alike would stop dead in their tracks right in front of you to take a picture with their cell phone. Again, crazy. Overall, it's a great course. The hills are challenging--but if you train for them anyone should be able to tackle them with relative ease. I would love to run the same course some time by myself just to see how I would do. With 20,000 other runners, the name of the game was just to keep moving forward and not waste too much energy trying to get ahead...there was no ahead.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-10-18 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Subject: Nike Women's Half Marathon

2010-10-19 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3158245

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Nike Women's Half Marathon
Yikes!  Talk about crowded!  Sounds like you made the most of the situation though.  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nike Women's Half Marathon Rss Feed