United States
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 19s
Overall Rank = 992/2300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Toast with Jelly, Hydrate, Hammer Gel, and a prayer for my gimped knee.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up. Felt very rushed despite getting to the Expo early. Lots of traffic.
Swim
  • 42m 11s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt awful for me. Swim training for last 3 months has not been so great. Not to start pity party, but had to have a skin cancer cut out of my left bicep. No swimming for 6 weeks. Went to swim for first time and reopened wound, and had to lay off again. Swam at Branson to about the same result. Just was not swim ready, and could never find a grove. Hopefully will get to spend lots of time in the pool in the off season.
What would you do differently?:

Work on form a lot more pre race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Only my third tri, and my first not being able to lay stuff out on the towel. I was not as organized as I think I could be. Also for got to stop by the strippers.

I just need a lot more practice.
Bike
  • 2h 32m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride went about what I expected. I planned on being around 2:35-2:40. I was really concerned with saving something in the tank for the run. I really bonked hard after all the climbing I did in Branson. Had about as good ride as I could to save enough energy to run. Road surface was poor, and at times it got old not being able to find a nice smooth groove to ride in. Lots of unintentional blocking going on. People riding 2-3 abreast down the road not passing or getting passed. Was very hard to get around people at times without feeling like I was being rude.

Nothing, This is the one part of the race that really felt like it should for me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Went OK. I forgot to get the CO2 out of my jersey top and went back to bag to drop it off.

Empty my bike stuff out of my pockets.
Run
  • 2h 33m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I completely fell apart on the run once we hit the trail running bits. I have been battling knee pain since Branson, and the down hill on the trail was a nail in the knee coffin. I felt amazing fit and energy wise, but every time I tried to take a real stride it would almost give out. I ran the entire way, but taking ity bity baby steps due to the pain. I was 35 minutes off my goal. It was very disheartening to have such a poor performance after all the prep.

Make sure to start the race injury free. I know I should have probably not even started the race, but I could not just throw away all the prep. I was hoping the steroid injection would get me through the 13.1, but no luck. I figured it would end poorly, but I was having the glass half full attitude.
Post race
Warm down:

Fall down on ground, bend knee to chest, and try not to look like I was not in huge amounts of pain. I could not really do much else. Walking bike to car was a huge effort.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It all came down to not having a healthy knee on the run. The swim and bike went about how expected. I know I can run into the 1:40s on the run, and thought I would go about 1:55-2:05 being conservative. I just could not go. I am paying for it now as I can still barely walk around my house. I knew better, but I had a lack of intelligence on this day.

Event comments:

I rate it average due the road surface on the bike. I also am not a fan of trail running. This made me feel like I was back in cross country in high school. Definitely not my favorite. I was also hoping it would be more through the nice scenic areas of Austin. It was a fairly ugly coarse.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:11 | 2078 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2300
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU C:1
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:32:36 | 56 miles | 22.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Early rolling hills to most flat the second half of ride. Less than average road conditions.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:33:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly Trail Running and Hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-10-18 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Yukon
Subject: Austin 70.3

2010-10-18 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3159210

User image

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Austin 70.3
Good race, get all healed up and get ready for 2011!
2010-10-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3159210

User image

Regular
Yukon
Subject: RE: Austin 70.3
Finally got some Pictures added.  Most are of me are in pain.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin 70.3 Rss Feed