Mississippi Track Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 45s
Overall Rank = 153/323
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/22
Pre-race routine:

Brought the pup with me, so my morning routine got a little whacky. I should have gotten up earlier. At least, I made it to the race site in plenty of time.
Event warmup:

Nada, really. Because of the poison ivy and the infection above my knee, I decided today was just a nice run with friends, so not going for time. And handed pup off only moments before we started.
Run
  • 1h 25m 45s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My friend, Casey, and I started in the back and then just made our way through the crowd. We kept the pace relaxed. I wouldn't say "easy," but easy enough that we could keep up a conversation most of the time. It was nice to just enjoy the run. And I hit my McMillan calculator time (based on my half 2 weeks ago). So, that's telling me I really can run faster.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was fun. If I had not gotten that infection, I would have tried to go quite a bit faster, but there were concerns about driving the infection into the joint.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected the pup, who had decided Jeff was her new BFF. Drank water and coke, ate a banana, hung out with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poison ivy and infection.

Last updated: 2010-09-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:45 | 9.32 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 153/323
Performance: Good
HR was a little higher than I expected. Effort seemed easier than the half 2 weeks ago...intentionally so. But it was a warmer day, and I had gotten a steroid shot and antibiotics the day before. That probably combined to raise it a few beats.
Course: Looping course around the lake in Lake Caroline. It's flat and fast. It's also long. I would normally ignore Garmin being off the "official" course length, but between folks last year and this year confirming that they also measured the course closer to 9.5 than 9.3, I will go with long. Doesn't matter. We all ran the same thing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes