General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you stay motivated in the offseason???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-28 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3174082

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: RE: How do you stay motivated in the offseason????
Canadian_Flo - 2010-10-26 10:06 PM I personally think of the next season and being even better than this season.  I have a goal to one day become a pro.  I know it's a big goal and I know that it may never happen, but that goal keeps me going.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is set a goal for yourself.  It could be as simple as taking 5 minutes off of a race time from your first season.  The off season is an important part of the being a triathlete.  We all need the time to allow our bodies to recover from the intensity of the season.  Enjoy the flexibility of the off season, stay active and keep your goal in mind.

Best of luck, 

I have no intentions of being a Pro but I also envision next year.

I put 2010 race results into Excel.  I highlighted my row and highlighted the row where I want to be in 2011.  Even if it's a bit too ambitious, all the better. 

I added weight training back into my workouts so that makes me feel better.
I changed my pool membership so I can now swim over lunch. (giving me more time to bike or run in the evenings)
I am doing Jorge's bike program - the structure is what I needed
I set up a run program that is an extrapolation of a 15 week marathon training plan. - again.. structure works for me
I set already registered for an early season marathon and a summer HIM so fear of not being ready motivates me.

Everything combined, it feels like I'm doing less but I finish days having lifted, swam, run and/or biked and I feel great.  It's a good thing too because with all that Halloween candy and the holidays coming up, I'm hoping to get to January without gaining a pound of fat.

2010-10-28 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3172285

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Go out and do what it takes to have no regrets on the important days.

Really, you can get up early on some random tuesday you won't remember two days later and suffer a bit... or you can get up when race day rolls back around and remember forever that you didn't have what it took to give it your all.
2010-10-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3172285

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I just spent close to $200 on an off season training plan.

I may be lazy, but I am even cheaper than I am lazy.

I will not waste the money I just spent, so I will be working my butt off for the next five months.

Everyone needs to find their motivator but I know that once I have spent my money for an entry fee (or a training plan), I will do the work and complete the distance.

I'll let you know how the "motivator" went in the spring.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you stay motivated in the offseason???? Rss Feed  

of 2