Stonebridge Racers
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 13s
Overall Rank = 10/97
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

did a relatively easy 50-mile bike ride with PBA (DB2) on Saturday then rested the rest of the day. Slept before midnight, woke up at 6:30am, showered, some juice and ate a Clif bar on the drive to the race venue. Got there about 30 minutes before start. Remembered to bring racebelt this time so no pins needed!
Event warmup:

Ran about 0.8 mile very easy with a couple of pick-ups. Had a Hammer Gel about 15 min before start, found the bathroom, and was ready to go.
Run
  • 1h 13m 13s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out conservatively, but was still at faster pace than my initial plan. I felt ok and let some people pass me in 1st mile. Kept it conservative until past Mile 3 (HR below 155) or so then started to increase pace. Was able to reel in the 3 or 4 people that were ahead of me that I wanted to catch. Was within 10 seconds of my last target but he also finished strong. Started going harder after mile 7 (past 160 HR). Did final pass around Mile 8. Good race overall, especially since it's my first 15K race. I have more faith on McMillan Running Calculator now - I thought it was predicting a result from my April 5K that was too optimistically fast - but I actually finished very close to my predicted McMillan time (I was off by 7 seconds!) - even though I was pretty conservative.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could've picked up the pace a little sooner, after Mile 2 but I was being conservative and wanted to make sure I had enough to finish comfortably. For half marathon in 5 weeks, plan will be to take first 2 miles to settle in, then stay between 155-160 until Mile 11 then open it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran for about half a mile and stretched. Had my First Endurance recovery drink and helped cheer finishers at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No experience running a stand-alone race past 5K; additional training (had a little setback due to calf injury running too fast of a tempo for too long).

Event comments:

This race went very well for a small local race EXCEPT for one flaw. There was a loop on the 15K course that was added and the signs said 5K straight ahead (with an arrow pointing straight) and 15K to the right (arrow pointing right). Race Director made an assumption that it would be obvious that a racer who had finished 1 loop would then go straight to the finish after they finished one loop. The volunteer there wasn't a sharp one either and didn't seem to know what to tell the runners. I know of at least half a dozen people who ended up doing another loop and did not finish (the loop was about 3 miles long). Happy with results though - 2nd Overall Masters (10 seconds behind winner), 1st in AG, and 10th overall for my first Top 10 (yes, it's a small local race with only about 100 participants in the 15K but was still happy to finish in top 10% in my first run race longer than 5K).

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:13 | 9.32 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 10/97
Performance: Good
RESULTS: http://www.racechiptiming.com/files/halloweenhustle2010.htm http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55003868
Course: a bit hilly around Stonebridge Ranch community. Ok except for confusing signs on the big loop - some people got lost and did the loop twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes