BARELY A DONKEY
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 36m 27s
Overall Rank = /4
Age Group = big dudes
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Pure excitement led up to the 3rd running of the Frozen Man - 2 years since the last. Unfortunately we lost 2009 to illness. But we are back
Event warmup:

I put on my wetsuit and peed! Man the lake is Frozen. We walked down to the beach front - no towels - not needed since it was raining. Once again a Frozen four was ready to enter the water
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 550 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

You would think we would fly out from the gate, but the start was delayed to insure water crept into the zipper line. that was cold - peed.

Then 3.2.1.... Off we went

Scott flew across the water like a penguin on ice. He was prepared to set himself up for another Swim Prime. Who knows if it was his swim skill or the fact he nevers wears sleeves. Whatever it is, he built a commending lead. The rest of the pack held together to the turn.

It was a heated event, which heat was needed. Scott sealed it up, but Dave, Jerry and I kept puching along. Eventually the band snapped and I slipped off the back. Dave and Jerry rounded out 2 and 3, I had the donkeys tail.
What would you do differently?:

Not crash In August and be out of the pool for most of 12 weeks.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After the swim, the pack made it thru T1. It was a close race that got closer. We shivered off the wetsuits and poured Beer in our bellies to warm up. We had enough time to change, drink, warm up , drink, eat, bake sleep and drink again. We were off. And of course, it started to rain more.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 11s
  • 19.7 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The group was tight. But no drafting of course. The lead changed by the mile. The tension was growing. Scott would lead, and then Dave, then jerry. it was a heated event. The rain only made it tougher. Now imagine if we drank more beer.

As we approached the Ridge, it was tight and then up we went. Let me tell you a 11-23 is not so nice on these hills, but I surged to the lead by the halfway point of the Up, but htere was nore UP. and Up and Up and then they were off on a heated slow motion race down.

The lead pushed to Scott and Dave close behind. Teh pack rolled thru the farmland, shocking I know, until the cow stench took over. We turned into the Kettle moraine. Now the race would be inersting, multiple hill climbs and several slow mo races. it was treacherous - rain leaves and down hills. it was hard to tell when to let go and fly. On the final steep descent, I would skid the brakes and wait, until - safe enough and let go - man I was moving and building a big lead.

Teh pack reassembled as we came into town. it was a good race and the final 2 mile turn was coming. POW we were off. I hammered it coming home and flew at an average of 25 mph with having to slow down at both intersections with an almost stop at thefirst one.I just wonder what it could have been. But a lead was built and I took the lead.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Shockingly the pack reassembled and the rain stopped and the beer flowed. New clothes, new attitude new race- We were a pack again and ready to run
Run
  • 17m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

We wer off, swapping the lead on a regular basis. it was a long run with beer in the gut. it buble up a bit, and has proven to destroy the hopes of many. It was staying tight to the turn, the halfway point of the run. Then it was on. i fell behind right away. Scott boosted himself ahead. But not for long, I put on the run burner, the reserve.

Our run was turning into a heated battle. i passed jerry, then Dave and caught scott. He was mine. We went stride for stride. It was a Frozen War. The trash talk started - who are you kidding? scott blurted, i bursted. The lead was mine. i was ready to clainm the Blue Cup for myself. I knew I could do it.

Then i started to slip, my 3secs of leading was gone, then, Dave, then jerry, and realized i was about a minute behind halfway bakc. Amazing how fast i slid back to a View from the Donkey!

The race was very competitive and heated - or Frozen and wet. Scott pulled the OA and Dave captured the elusive 40-44 and jerry the 30's and i defended the Donkey Kong - Clydes title.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat Pizza and drink beer. it was great to hang out with the group again and do this ridiculous event. Looking forward to more Donkey events in the future.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack fo swim training, bike accident/shoulder injury, strained leg muscle - again

But nothing really affected the fun we had.

Last updated: 2010-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 550 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/4
Performance: Average
Suit: of course -I m not totally crazy
Course: Out and back to the corner
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 52F / 11C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:09:11 | 19.7 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/4
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out the donkey's tail to Ridge - and up we go then roll back to the cow stench and into the Kettle Moraine scenic drive, back home along the tail and crank her for the last 2 miles
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad