United States
EnviroSport
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 32s
Overall Rank = 454/487
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 34/38
Pre-race routine:

This was my first race, so I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. I packed a bag the night before with everything I would need for the race, and then tried to sleep. I was actually pretty tired, but it still took me a while. In the morning, I had an english muffin with peanut butter, a banana and some water, and had my father drive me into Philly.

Since you couldn't drive right up to the race course, I was dropped off 2 miles down the road and rode my bike up to the start. I stretched, talked to people, and generally set up my transition area. When I took my shoes off to go for a quick swim, I discovered that was not wearing my own shoes, but my girlfriends! While we wear the same size and I have run in hers before, I was a bit worried about getting blisters or getting hurt using her running shoes. However, rather than get upset about it, I just called her and asked her to bring mine over, knowing that she probably wouldn't get there before the start. But since there was nothing I could do at that point, I figured getting upset would just waste energy. I took a look at the swim course, and practiced my walk from the swim finish to my bike.
Event warmup:

The ride over was a nice, slow 2.6 mile ride, and then I went for a quick swim -- 84 degree water is actually incredibly warm!
Swim
  • 18m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was done in self-seeded waves, so I decided that since I am a pretty strong swimmer, I started in the fifth wave. We jumped into the river, and then had to tread water for three minutes until they told us we could start. The start actually wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be -- I didn't get kicked, although I was a little slower than I think I could have been at the start. I started swimming, and before I knew it, I was past the first marker, where things started to calm down a bit. We were going upstream at the start, but the current was not very strong, so it felt fairly easy.

The swim went by pretty fast. I kept getting stuck between people as someone would come up on my left as I was swimming by someone on my right. I had to stop three or four times for fear of running into someone. I also felt like I was not particularly focused during the swim -- I was just trying to figure out how to swim in open water with so many people.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I would swim harder in the first 200 yards, keep a better perspective on who is around me. I would also concentrate harder on form and speed rather than just on finishing. Altogether, though, a good first swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Getting out of the water was hard -- I ran a few steps and realized that I would do better just to walk it and let my body relax for a minute or two. I took off my swim cap and goggles while walking and easily found my bike -- the transition area was very well marked and set up. I put on a second sports bra over the one I had worn to swim in, my shirt and helmet. My family had not yet shown up, so I had no choice but to put on my girlfriends shoes. I was a bit disoriented, so it took me a few moments to figure out how to get my bike off the rack, but altogether I was pretty happy.

I still need to find a top to wear so that I don't have to put on an extra sports bra. Also, just practice getting the bike off the rack.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 47s
  • 17 miles
  • 15.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I brought one water bottle and a couple of gels for the bike course. I had one at the start of the bike, and the second just before I started running. The only problem was that I got thirsty and felt like I didn't have enough water with the one water bottle -- I wanted to conserve. I did feel much more focused on the bike, and felt like I was working harder and going at the pace I wanted. The two laps passed quickly, with a few ups and downs in them -- a few times when I felt like my legs were killing me and I would never get by, and then a few others where I felt much better. Considering that I was most concerned about the bike starting off, I felt pretty good.

Bring more water on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Quick transition, since I didn't have to change shoes and had no more water there. I saw my father coming over with my shoes to change into, but I just didn't want to sit down and change at that point, so I just headed out.

BRING MORE WATER. Also, I think I could have taken the time to change shoes.
Run
  • 43m 47s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Even not wearing my own shoes, the run went very well for me. I mostly alternated 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking which felt very good. about 1/2 mile from the end, someone who had already finished came out on the course and was giving advice as we passed by. She told me to drop my shoulders, which instantly made me feel better. I ran the entire last mile, and actually I think that I could have gone faster on some of the earlier parts as well. That said, 11 minute miles are pretty good for me.

Wear my own shoes. Also, trust myself more to be able to run longer distances. I had the endurance to do more running and less walking, but was very concerned about saving energy.
Post race
Warm down:

I mostly just walked around a bit -- got some food and drink, found my bike and started walking back to the car. Lots of stretching that night.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly, since this was my first Tri, I was just trying to get through. I need to figure out exactly how hard I can push, especially on the run, without exhausting myself. I also need to work on focusing more.

Event comments:

Since this was my first Tri, I have nothing to compare it to, but people were incredibly supportive, the race seemed very organized and results were up quickly. Altogether, I was pretty happy!

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:37 | 880 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 240/487
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangle on the Schukyll
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:47 | 17 miles | 15.27 mile/hr
Overall: 457/487
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops along the river
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:47 | 04 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 450/487
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 2:29 PM

Regular
Subject: Philadelphia Liberty Triathlon

2005-08-01 10:59 PM
in reply to: #212925

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Liberty Triathlon

Congrats on your very first Tri!!You can now officially say that you are a triathlete!!

You did great!

2005-08-01 11:36 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Great job. It was a perfect day to race. The event went well.
2005-08-02 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
It sounds like it was a great first race! 
2005-08-02 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
Great Race!! Looks like we placed right next to one another

I was trying to keep an eye out for you but then I realized I dont know what you look like!! Whoops! Hope you had fun, I know I did!!

Congrats!!
2005-08-03 8:48 AM

Regular
Thanks! I'm sorry i didn't get my act together to let you know who to look for -- I think I was so nervous about the whole thing that I couldn't figure out how to interact with others as well as race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Liberty Triathlon Rss Feed