United States
Roger Soler's Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 1s
Overall Rank = 186/187
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/19
Pre-race routine:

dream weird triathlon dreams (transition area on the 15th floor of an office building?), 2 alarms, a little coffee and a granola bar and such; drive from hotel to park; attach front tire in the dark; walk to T.A.; rack bike; hydrate; visit restroom; stash stuff under a tree for Lisa & Alan to find; hydrate; eat Gu; stand around with other athletes and watch all the other waves start.
Event warmup:

as the first waves were going out in the mini, recalling that I'm supposed to warm up, and doing the few pathetic stretches I could think to do barefoot, in a pack of people.
Swim
  • 23m 11s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Mostly freestyle, a little backstroke every now and then, sidestroke to wiggle around the last buoy. Started a little too fast, trying to keep up with everybody -- I knew it was too much effort because I was splashing more and had to breathe every other stroke instead of every third stroke like I do when I swim long swims in training. About 1/3 of the way along it got better, when I "remembered" how I swim in the pool and carried some of that over (rolling, S-strokes, steadier breathing). Kept breaking my stroke to sight, though. And I'm just slow.
What would you do differently?:

Swim my own dang race and forget keeping up with everybody. Maybe warm up in the water? (But who has time for all that, between parking and getting set up and timing chip and body marking and such?) Also more OWS practice might give me more confidence in sighting while swimming freestyle.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

It all went as planned. I take off my cap & goggles and carry them the second I'm out of the water, so at the T.A. all I have to do is ADD stuff: jersey, glasses, helmet, socks, shoes, gloves. Then I was off.

Maybe move to and from my T.A. a little faster?
Bike
  • 1h 46m 26s
  • 20 miles
  • 11.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I used the highest and lowest gears on my bike, and most of the range in between! It was so cool to finally figure this out. Mainly I was really happy to make it up all of the hills without getting off my bike to push. Without much chance to train in hills, I felt like I truly "got it" for the first time, and actually felt myself getting stronger DURING the race! (Musta been all those people praying for me or something. I may have seen an angel too, but that's a whole 'nother story...) Some of the gradual uphills were really fun, coming out of downhills with lots of power and momentum, flying up in a harder gear than I ever could have imagined taking up a hill, no problem. Other times I was just barely poking along. Only one hill, just a bit before the first turnaround point, really scared me. I was talking to God the whole time, reminding Him about how my goal was really to make it up without walking and all, and somehow managed. By the top my heart was pounding and I was panting huh-h-huh-h-huh-h as fast as humanly possible, but it was a huge victory not to have to walk! (This was before the parts where I was singing, and talking to cows.)

Hydration note: I can only fit one water-bottle cage comfortably on my little bike. Might need to get a camel-back if I'm going to do any races longer than this one. I was out of my drink by the end; chugged water during T2 so I could take in my Gu at the beginning of the run. I would have had the Gu earlier if I had more water.

Train more for the standing sprints - spin classes, here I come. Right now I can only stand and sprint for about 5-8 pedal strokes, seriously. But I did figure out, more than halfway through the race, that the standing thing works best in the MIDDLE gear! (Up until now I've been all herky-jerky when I try to stand, because I've waited until I'm already in too small a gear.)

I was very happy with my performance over all, even if I did finish last. Best ride of my life to date, so I give myself a "Good" anyway!
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Most folks were done racing by the time I got back from that bike ride, so I had to pass them while they were packing up, chatting, leaving, etc. "On your left" worked, but "Still racing, on your left" worked even better! The wonderful triathlete peoples LEAPT out of the way when they heard that, then cheered me on as I ran by.

Once I got to my T.A., I chugged some water, changed shoes, grabbed my hat, and that was that! From there, STRAIGHT to the first porta-potty!

My crazy roommate Lisa not only took PICTURES of me exiting the Porta-Potty, but she continued to cheer for me while I was in there! Now THAT was funny.

On a more serious note, I missed the timing mat coming out of T2, so I don't know how long it took. The time got tacked to my run; I've estimated 2.5 minutes for the T2 and taken 2:30 off the run for this RR.

Unfortunately by the time I came through transition there were no volunteers to steer me in the right direction. I had to yell to spectators/finishers for directions ("RUN THIS WAY?"), but it only occured to me partway into the run that I hadn't seen or heard a timing mat, while the rest of the mats were really loud and obvious. Sort of a bummer "penalty" for being the last person off the bike course. :(

CHANGE SOCKS TOO. Or get socks that are okay for biking and running both. The cycle socks DID NOT CUT IT for the run.
Run
  • 44m 40s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just a sort of "gutting it out" run, but I maintained my pace the whole time. I passed just one person on the way back, who actually shared her water with me as I was passing her! What a class act. Triathletes are awesome.

Anyway I felt some rubbing on the inside front part of my arches and ignored it (you know how you just order your brain into "pain override" mode?). Big mondo blisters now. I couldn't even wear flip-flops home; drove back to Houston in fluffy socks only, through all of the rest stops and everything. Think anyone would bid on the World's Filthiest Socks on E-Bay?

Wear my trusty cheapo socks, unless I find something better for running.
Post race
Warm down:

Panting, tottering around aimlessly, finding my free hat and finsihers medal eventually, watching part of the awards ceremony, finally getting my bike off its lonely rack, and having Lisa stretch me in the grass. After we left the park, I enjoyed my now-traditional (twice is a tradition, right?) post-race meal of french fries and a milkshake, this time from one of Central Texas's fine (and ubiquitous) Dairy Queen establishments.

Event comments:

When I say, "just right" for my ability, I mean, "just right, because I'm working to build base distance and wanted a good challenge." It was a challenge, but a fun challenge. So even though I came in 186 out of 187 finishers, this was "just right" in my book. For perspective, I checked the results on the "mini" (half the distance, same course) - had I done that race at this pace, I would have come in MOP. But I decided to run with the horses instead. :)

The course is through beautiful Texas hill country, and it was a truly gorgeous day. Yeah the run was a little hot, but for someone who trains in Texas anyway not so bad.

Bottom line: I made my goals (no walking, finish) and had a blast!

Last updated: 2005-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:11 | 800 meters | 02m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 180/187
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Warm, green river, little to no current. Out-and-back course. Last wave, women 35+.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:46:26 | 20 miles | 11.27 mile/hr
Overall: 188/187
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Hilly course, winding country roads, some one lane. Y-configuration (2 turnaround points), so it was pretty easy to figure out that I was dead last. The course, particularly the one-lane portion (second arm of the "Y") featured everything promised in the race fact sheet and more: dips, tight turns on downhills, potholes, cattle guards, roadkill in the form of armadillo and fawn carcasses scattered along the shoulder, a little gravel... and actual CATTLE. Yeah this one herd of lovely Black Angus had decided to cross the road, then found their numbers divided by these strange two-wheeled creatures zooming by. And I mean they were RIGHT next to us. A couple of them sorta startled back in fright as I passed (in retrospect, I think my yelling, "HEY COWS! HI COWS! MOOO!" didn't really help them feel any safer), which is pretty funny considering that a cow would definitely win in any battle with a cyclist. Thankfully, no-one was hurt, either human or bovine, and I got a kick out of it. Anything for a kick at this point. A little later I was singing. See? There are advantages to being the only one left out on the course: you can sing out loud, if that helps.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:40 | 03.73 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 0/187
Performance:
Note re rank: Without the T2 time added on, I would have ranked around #175. Official results put me at #181.
Course: Paved, partly in the park, partly out on roads. Some gradual inclines, some traffic, all of it polite. Good placement of cold water stations, some to drink, some to dump over head and even dribble down the front of my scorching legs. This was Texas hot, people. Though thankfully not Houston humid.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: Blanco Outback - Grande Gator

2005-08-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: #213074

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Blanco Outback - Grande Gator
What a great race report! Very well written. Sounds like you had a good race, I wish I could have such a good attitude. Get rested and then get back on the horse and join us for a brick.
Joe
2005-08-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: #213074

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Blanco Outback - Grande Gator
sounds like you had a blast! wish i was there racing too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blanco Outback - Grande Gator Rss Feed