General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 5h 58m 13s
Overall Rank = 252/800
Age Group = under 19 men
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Not a whole lot, I got up at 4:15 snoozed for a little while got up, ate breakfast chilled for a while then headed to the race site at 6:30.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 35m
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was slower than I hoped, but I'd never actually swam the course just a shorter one nearby. The start was a lot rougher than I though, really choppy from all the other swimmers, I got a lot of water in my mouth, but overall I felt good. I was wearing a fullsuit, and felt perfect, maybe a little cool, but still felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 05m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on this, I wore a two piece tri-suit for the whole race, and was perfect. No arm warmers, my feet didn't warm up from the run to T1 till about mile 30 but that wasn't too bad. I did soak this one volunteer when I tried to grab a bottle. If you are reading this I'm sorry. I had a good ride though, I made sure to keep it light, I had a lot of tailwind on 421 on the way back so that was great.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 2h 08m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I started to hurt. As soon as I started my legs started cramping. I suffered through it and got up the bridge. I got better there, so I settled in and ran pretty well. My run was uneventful till about mile 11 when I hit the bridge again, they about killed me. I struggled till about mile 12.25 then I had to walk for a little while to get up the bridge once I got up I just went for it and made in the the line in under 6 hours.

train on hills.
Post race
Warm down:

not much. I was feeling like crap, so I wandered around for a while, tried to eat some food but couldn't, so I just waited for the awards ceremony, picked up my AG win and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have made the most time up with a faster bike split, so I'll try to bring that way down next year, also I should have trained on some bridges in running.

Last updated: 2010-11-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:00 | 2078 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 0/800
Performance:
Suit: 2XU T:0
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:00 | 56 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-11-15 12:43 PM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2010-11-15 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3211640

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Small world!  I'm not sure if you remember playing leap frog with me for the last two miles or so.  I was wearing a Fleet Feet tri kit.  More noticeable was my red bike jersey that I forgot to takeoff in T2 and wore as a mini cape the entire run!  I was reduced to a run walk by the time we got to the draw bridge on the way back.  Everytime I would stop to walk you would go by me.  When I saw your time in the race report I had to go look at some pictures that my family got at the finish line.  Sure enough there you were.  Awesome job on the AG win!

Edited by argylemonkey 2010-11-15 1:13 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed