Women's Running Magazine
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 46s
Overall Rank = 2263/4746
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 280/633
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Just had some coffee and a little bit of yogurt.
Event warmup:

Walking to the start line with my sister and her friend, Bonnie.
Run
  • 2h 28m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Huge race. People around the whole time. This was a run to pace my sister through her first half marathon. Her training had been good, but she had not actually run more than 10.5 miles, so the end of the race would be new territory. Her goal was a 2:30, so I paced her at 11 min/mile forthe first 5 miles. Her friend, Bonnie, took off, but I made Anne-Marie stay with me (Bonnie ended up having a great race, but the pace would have been too fast for AM). She felt good after 5 miles, so we dropped the average down to a 10:50 min/mile pace. That worked, but maybe was a bit too aggressive. I should have paid more attention to actual pace rather than lap average (or hit my lap button) but I hate how Garmin's "actual" pace jumps around so much. I never really know what the pace is. Anyway, in the 8-9 mile range, it got kind of hard, and we had to slow down. There was a long gradual climb and then the jog through the parking lot to the stadium not so fun. (I thought the stadium was fun, though.) I was hoping AM would recover on the "downhill," but not so much. It didn't really feel like a down, anyway. Once we made the turn and were about .25 from the finish line, though, she put her head down and picked up the pace for a strong finish. And even though she struggled at the end, she still ended up 2 minutes below her goal.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have held the 11 min/mile pace...it might have made the last part easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Just water and sitting around for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This one wasn't about fast; it was about getting my sister to the finish line.

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:28:46 | 13.1 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 280/633
Overall: 2263/4746
Performance: Good
Course: Flat looping course through St. Petersburg. There was a bit of a long incline around miles 8-9, which took me by surprise. Made a circuit inside the Tropicana stadium, before heading back to the start/finish, and what felt like an uphill earlier did not feel so much like a downhill the last 2 miles. Bummer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes