General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Tires / Tubes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-01 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Race Tires / Tubes?
In the past, for training and racing) I have run Gatorskins, thick tubes, and liners. I know, a heavy set up - but, I very rarely get flats (knock on wood) and I'd rather ride heavy than repair flats.

As a part of my tri-progression I want to run aerobars, a rear disc-cover, and a front HED3 for races next year. To check out my set-up, I went for a ride with all the goodies installed. Since the rear is the same wheel for training (no cover) and racing (covered) - I have the Gatorskins, thick tubes, and liner. But, since the front is a completely different wheel for training (Shimano) and racing (HED3), I decided to try to lighten it up and went with Gatorskins, lite tubes, and no liners on the HED3. Well... one run.... flat front tire!

I'd like to go light, but am concerned about flatting during a race.
What are you guys / gals racing on here in NM?

2010-12-01 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3232870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Race Tires / Tubes?
I ride more than race, so it's the same all around.

Conti GP4000 with goo tubes. This is a good combination for me, haven't had problems (knock on wood!) except for when I had a gouge in the tire. I upgraded wheels to the Kysiriums last year, so no liners were needed.

I'd like to get a cover at some point, but I think I need to do more than a few sprints a year to justify it.
2010-12-02 10:44 AM

Veteran
I train and race heavy also (just too many goat heads where I ride).  If I ever get fast enough to even come close to being on the podium I might risk a lighter setup but until then I'm happy not having to fix flats very often.

I know a guy who is super fast and typically in contention for overall podium and he runs as light as possible but last year he dnf'd at least 3 races that I know of due to flats.  I train too hard and spend too much of my hard-earned money on race entries to run the risk of ruining my race because of a flat.  I have no idea how much time is saved by running a lighter setup but to me, at this point in my tri racing 'career', the risk/reward doesn't make it worth it for me. 
2010-12-02 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
ok - i did it! fricken jinxed myself!!!!!!

out for a ride today near Double Eagle Airport/Volcanos and hear a tic, tic tic tic tic. stop see a goat head, and it was big....take it out and spin the tire for the Goo to self seal. get on, make my turn around and head back. Get into ventana ranch and I feel really bouncy on the back end....FLAT!!!!

two days goes by, and it was my first outdoor ride after saying it..... JINXED!!!
2010-12-03 10:20 AM

Veteran

Wow...that's a drag....ok no more using the 'f' word (flat).

I HATE goatheads!

Does the goo do a decent job of sealing the puncture?  A guy at Performance told me it doesn't work very well on high pressure roadie tubes.

2010-12-03 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
I picked up a goathead last weekend too. Cut my ride in half (had to call for a ride home) because I forgot to put my seat bag back on with my spare in it. 

And I'm convinced if I pick up a goathead again, I'm not pulling it out. Maybe rolling it off will leave enough in to seal it up? 

2010-12-05 12:29 PM

Regular
Artesia, NM
I injected about 1.5 oz of Stans Notubes sealant into my training tubes, I'm running this years Hutchinson Fusion3 and they have a kevlar protection band. Between these and the Stans sealant i've never had issues, and our roads are BAD out this way.
2011-06-22 2:18 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I started using Michelin Krylions with Conti tubes and Stans and typically get about 800-1000 miles between flats- seems like good odds to me for racing. The setup is a bit heavy but like others have said you work too hard to DNF
2011-07-19 11:17 AM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

I dnf'd this weekend at the Santa Fe Tri because of a goat head, high sided and wrecked.  I cam out of it with very little road rash, and a slightly bent brake/shifter I was able to bend back.  Even if I had the stuff to fix it I don't know if I would have, I cracked my helmet and got more of a whiplash than anything else, needless to say I was a little shaken.

I went to REI and got the seat bag, co2, and tools to replace/patch a tube on the side of the road.  Today I was talking to a buddy at work who is a maniac mtn rider and he said Stans all the way.  After doing a little research it looks like they make a kit for road bikes but you need the special tires.  I can't justify 160 for the kit I just spent 140 on new Gator skins this year. I saw this thread and it sounds like some of you just put the Stans in the tube.  How much do you use and how is it done?

2011-07-21 1:47 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico

To use Stans on road tires you need tubes with reemovable cores- continental. The kickstand also has some cheaper brand with removable cores as well. The instructions say to put in about an ounce for road tires but I put in close to 2 ounces. As I said previously, I typically get 800-1000 miles between flats and the extra confidence knowing that it is unlikely that I will flat today is a huge bonus.

It is much easier to put the Stans sealant in before installing the tube.

As an update I just bought a used Seduza which came with Michelin race tires, well I tried it and flatted 6 times on 8 rides. Needless to say, I have switched over to the Krylion/Conti/Stans setup on that bike as well and now have close to 100 trouble free miles on them.

2011-07-21 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3608653

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Bonafide505 - 2011-07-21 12:47 PM
As an update I just bought a used Seduza which came with Michelin race tires, well I tried it and flatted 6 times on 8 rides.

Yay.... just as I almost convinced myself to get a set of Michelin Pro 3s and latex tubes for racing.

As far a rolling resistance goes, there is some good data out there that suggests there is significant gain (in the neighborhood of 30 watts) to be had by racing on decent race tires vs. Gatorskins. There are also a lot of people that run the Pro3s with no issues. What I don't know is if they deal with the same conditions we do here in NM.

Decisions. Decisions.

2011-07-21 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

I emailed Stans and they said you gotta use the tubeless tires.  But I think I will be ordering me some tubes with removable presta cores and some stans to get me through this set of tires. 

I don't know if there is a road in NM that doesn't have a busted beer bottle at the rate of every 1/4 mile or higher, plus goat heads and potholes etc.  It's a wonder we don't flat every ride. 

For me DNF'ing this weekend when I was potentially contending was an emotional let down. If I would have finished 1 second out of a podium spot at least I would know.  So for me finishing is more important. 

This is my first year and I may feel different when I have 20 races under my belt.  I am also competing as a clyde right now and don't expect to be a clyde next season.  So to keep up with all you little skinny guys I may have to do everything possible!!  I also don't have the funds to have a dedicated race set up so what I train with is what I race with.

2011-07-22 11:20 AM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I have a riding buddy that has gone tubeless with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and Hutchinson tires. He likes the setup so far but says that he has to get used to the feeling of running less psi- says it feels like he's getting a flat. This is why I haven't transitioned yet- I like high psi.

Stans also claims rolling resistance lowers w/o tubes so maybe......

2011-07-26 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I train on Clincher Bontrager race lite hardcase tires, but I race on Continental Sprinter tubular tires. I use caffelatex in both sets and knock on wood, haven't had a flat in years. I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will flat the next time out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Tires / Tubes? Rss Feed