Sunrise, Florida
United States
Greater Ft. Lauderdale Road Runners Club
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up, got dressed, fed the dog, grabbed food, and hit the road. I was running later than I would have liked, and I'm fairly sure I hit 90mph a few times on I-595
Event warmup:

A nice 1/2 mile jog from the car to the check-in table, to the port-a-potties, and to the start line. I was there with a few minutes to spare, so I stretched and pin my number on.
While I thought I was running late, it turned out that my timing was perfect.
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

So, after gymnastics class on Thursday, I was SORE. Initially, I wanted to go under 8:00/mile pace, but I changed my goal to "as fast as I can". I hit the pavement and I was moving. It felt good! My first mile was just under 8:00, my second miles was just over 8:00. I figured I might as well push it and see what I can do. I hit mile 3 at 23:55 ,and I thought I might be able to make it! Then, I dry heaved. Twice. I slowed it down for the last 0.1 mile, but still managed to PR, and come in just under 25 minutes. I can't really complain. I just missed my goal, but I was happy that I pushed it as hard as I could have
What would you do differently?:

Not drink as much beer the day before, and not do a gymnastics class for the first time in 14 years two days before the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and drink, wandered back to the car, and went to Wal-Mart.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dry heaving on the last tenth of a mile? My training runs lately have been slower, too. Throwing in a tempo run or interval day would help my 5k time!

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:54 | 03.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, wide and quick! On paved roads through a Technology Park (aka office buildings)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes