Ohio River Road Runners Club
25F / -4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 00m
Overall Rank = 101/129
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Usual breakfast, plenty of water. Wore multiple layers of clothing to try to stay warm as close to start time as possible.
Event warmup:

Light jogging, just trying to keep warm.
Run
  • 2h 00m 6s
  • 9.89 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Some difficult footing, especially with the quickly falling snow. Second lap was much more difficult, wetter, and some slick spots. Overall the run felt good. Developed some pain in my left arch from blisters on the second lap and the hills were much tougher the second time through, but I kept moving the whole way. Only walked the hills that pretty much everyone was walking.
What would you do differently?:

Try to take better advantage of the flat/clear areas with better footing. I ended up taking it easy on those stretches to conserve energy. Also would be nice to have moisture wicking gloves and a hat. My cotton gloves and hat got soaked through. My glasses fogged up constantly so it was a battle to try to see where I was going and maintain solid footing sometimes. All in all though I had a great run and would do it again, even in this weather.
Post race
Warm down:

Hot soup, changed into not wet clothes and warmed up in the car. Apparently I was giving off so much heat I looked like I was on fire according to CK and AW.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience in trail running. Not knowing when to turn up the speed and scale back most efficiently. Equipment.

Event comments:

It's low key, so there weren't a ton of volunteers, but enough to get you where you need to go. Just one aid station, since the course is in a state park and spread out it's not really possible to have more. ORRRC did a great job, and I'm looking forward to running more of their races next year.

Last updated: 2010-12-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:06 | 9.89 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 101/129
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops at John Bryan State Park. Started at campground, short loop down the road, and then up a steep hill, then North Rim Trail, then down into the gorge and across the bridge to the "dark side". Then back over the other bridge, and further west into the park, up another long steep hill and repeat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes