General Discussion Race Reports! » Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tampa, Florida
United States
Arthritis Foundation
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 54s
Overall Rank = 777/815
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 87/91
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, had my morning shake and got my stuff together. Decided it was too cold to wake the kids for the kids' run -- they would flip out if they had to stand around for an hour in 32 degree weather, and frankly, I just didn't want to deal with the whining. Hemmed and hawed a bit about clothing choice -- decided to pull out my fleece long johns to run in rather than just cotton leggings, switched socks so that they would cover my ankles better (this would haunt me later), added my red Fleece pullover. Also brought the water belt since I had no other way to hold my stuff and had left my stuff carriers sleeping in their beds, and put water in it since a water belt without water is kind of silly. Note to Santa: Please bring a spie belt that has a race number holder or something of that ilk for races that don't require a water belt! Out the door by 6 so that I would have plenty of time to get my packet -- I tried to do early packet pickup, but they changed the pick up times and I missed the follow up e-mail. Grrrr.... But got there in plenty of time to drop the bag back off at the car and get in place.
Event warmup:

Run back and forth in the parking lot a little for about 5 minutes just to literally get warm. I decided to leave my fleece cover up and my belt in the car, taking the advice the gal parked next to me and slipping my key into my bra instead. I tried to get into the festive vibe by tying the jingle bells to my calves. This would also haunt me.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Repeat after me: Nothing new on race day.

Went out waaaaay too fast without even realizing. It's weird how fast doesn't feel fast when you are in a crowd and just trying to get past the walkers, etc. At around mile 1.5, I stopped and walked for a few seconds. I also had to walk for a few seconds here and there on the hills. Halfway around the second loop, I realized that the reason my calves were burning like mad was that the jingle bells were affecting my circulation, even though they weren't tied tight at all. Stopped and took those off, and ran with them in my hands the rest of the way.

I felt much better on my second loop. I ran up both hills, though I did take a brief walk break at the end of each. At the top of the first hill, my right leg started going numb, and it felt like the sock on that foot was wrinkled and cutting off circulation in the ball of my foot. Really PO'd that I wore socks that I never wear for running and it bugged me so badly.

When I got to the final stretch, though, I was all business. I kicked it in and finished the last tenth at a 10 something pace, according to my Garmin. That felt pretty darn awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Practice hill work. Work on my speed. More runs in general. You know, the usual.
Post race
Warm down:

Panted my way to the race chip collection spot, grabbed some water, and just walked it out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. Jingle Bells. Wrinkly Socks. All three of which were new on race day.

Event comments:

I love the shirts, I don't mind the lack of a finisher's medal at all, but I was really annoyed with the lack of organization. The mixed messages about pre-race day packed pickup was annoying to say the least, and my attitude is sullied by the fact that I left work early and busted my butt to pick up a packet that wasn't there when I arrived. Also, I just don't understand why they make you pick up chips that day even if you pick up your packet early -- that really slows things down (start was late). Other than that, though, it is a fun race. People are cheery, many are costumed, and the attitudes are awesome.

Last updated: 2010-12-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/91
Overall: 0/815
Performance: Good
Course: Course is hilly for Florida -- two decent slopes up, times two loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes