Metro PCS Dallas White Rock Marathon
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The roller coaster I have been riding for the past 3 weeks meant virtually (and by virtually I mean NO) trainng prior to the run. In the back of my mind I questioned how smart it would be for me to actually go out and do it, but I decided to go into it with no expectations.

The night before I got everything possible Steve could need the next morning out. I knew I would be worried about him, but I also know that he probably needed a break from me since we have been together virtually every second for 22 days.

Dinner at Fuzzy's Tacos. Slept really poorly Saturday night
Event warmup:

Up at 5. Spent some time figuring out what to wear. I usually overdress and did not want to do that today. Ended up going with a ss oompression shirt, ls tech shirt, tights, fleece vest and throwaway hat and gloves.

Beth Paul came over at 6 and we headed to Fair Park. I heard that there were some major issues with traffic, but I have to say that we made it there pretty easily. Stayed on 30 until Haskill and ended up parking about 100 yards form the finsh line. Got in the line for the porta potty and tried to stay as warm as possible. Does shivering count as an event warmup?

I think we were supposed to be in coral L but lined up in H. This year was a little different as they had about a 2 minute delay between each coral being sent off. Not sure it did much to alleviate congestion in the first few miles but not a big deal.
Run
  • 2h 37m 58s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked this new course a lot! Had I been better trained it could have been a PR course.

Stayed with a 4:1 run walk. As usual I blew off the first walk break as we were still in pretty tight crowds and I did not feel the need to walk at that point.

I felt like I was dressed prtyy good. At about mile 3 I ditched the hat. At 4 I took off the gloves and stuffed them in my pocket. Glad I did as I needed hem post-race in our trek back to the car (more on that below).

My goal, aside from just finishing was to keep my HR in zone 2. I was fairly successful with this. Spent 28 minutes in 1, 1:33 in 2 and 28 in 3. Most of the 3's were a result of the hills and running straight the last 3 miles.

Beth and I stayed together until mile 10, keeping with the 4:1. At 10, I was still feeling good so I went ahead and ran the last 3 miles without a walk break.

Even though I knew Steve was fine at home, I was "on of those people" and called him every few miles to check. I know...over protective but I can live with that title.

I also had the course a little long at 13.3 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Train a little more and keep my husband from herniated a disk in his back.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Beth at the finish line. She did great and finished 4 minutes behind me. Hearded into the Auto Building to get our medals, finishers shirts and some water.

So here is my only complaint about the race. Leaving the auto building, we were on the other side of the finish line from where we needed to be to get to the car. We walked way past the finish line trying to get across but it was totally blocked off. Walked back to the end of the finsh line to get around but could not get around the back.

Tried to go back into the Auto Building to go out the other side but they would not let us back in. Had to walk completely around the building (which is HUGE) outside to get to the other side of the finish line. If they had some signs or people telling you what side of the building to exit it would have been much easier. We were not the only ones, many people were trying to figure it out.

So, if that is my only complant, I guess things weer not too bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No training, plain and simple

Event comments:

This is my 4th White Rock and I will be back next year.

Last updated: 2010-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:58 | 13.3 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: A nice tour of the expensive part of downtown Dallas
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4