General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Close Call This Morning while biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-03 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Close Call This Morning while biking

I'm doing my favorite 35 mile bike ride this morning before work.  I ride this really cool loop that goes by farms and has nice rolling hills.  It is really cool to smell the fresh cut hay and listen to the roosters crow.  I pick this route because the traffic is mostly going the other way, towards town.  I normally head out at 5:30, that gives me plenty of time to be home and get ready for work. 

Well, I'm cranking hard up a hill and look up to see cars coming in the opposite lane.  No big deal, that is the way the traffic flows.  Then I see this older camero jump out in my lane to pass a car.  He is going 65 - 70 mph and headed straight for me.  I start looking at the ditch, thinking this is gonna hurt and prepare to go into the woods.  The car at the last moment, pulls back in behind the car he was attempting to pass.  I was lucky that he spotted me at the last moment.  I couldn't be missed.  I wear a bright color reflective jersey and they still don't see me. 

It seems that almost every morning, I'm having a close call.  This one is the first that I knew could be deadly.  I'm beginning to wonder about these early morning rush hour rides. 

Be sure to ride like you are invisible.  You just may be to those cages. 

2005-08-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #215396

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Close Call This Morning while biking
5:30am is too early for rush hour.   Your description does sould like a busy city road (farms and stuffs).  Is it bright enough?  Here in the NE, sun rise is around 5:30am this time of the year.  Be careful. 
2005-08-03 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

You could have been wearing flashing lights, but some people in cars/trucks have their minds elsewhere and start to do things with out thinking or looking.  "Oh what is that yellow flashy thing on two wheels up ahead?,  I guess I better slow down and not pass."

Good for you on being aware of surrounding getting ready to dump and jump.  Always watch out for the other guy/gal.     

I hate coming up to an intersection with a red light and a line of cars.  Never know which car is going to all of a sudden make a right turn and not use their signals.

2005-08-03 4:28 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Drivers just don't see cyclists. You could be on fire and they wouldn't see you.

Good for you for being prepared to bail. I think the only safe cyclist is one who rides like every car is out to hit him/her.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Close Call This Morning while biking Rss Feed