General Discussion Race Reports! » Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon) - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tulsa, Oklahoma
United States
Tulsa Route 66 Marathon, Inc
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 19s
Overall Rank = 2456/3313
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 248/340
Pre-race routine:

Got up and brushed teeth, got dressed and tried to stay calm. Ate breakfast of toast with PB and some gatoraide.
Event warmup:

Walked from where we could park and know we could get out down to the start area. Took in the gatoraide pouch I had, stripped off the unnecessary layers, stretched a bit, and said goodbye to hubby. Went back to the 3rd corral (of 3) to get prepped to start.
Run
  • 2h 37m 19s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

It was HOT. Forecast was for the 40's and hardly any wind. Thank goodness I took both tights/long sleeves and shorts/short sleeves since it turned out to be 74 and 15 mph winds gusting to 20 at race time. At the start I met Rachel who was a coach out of Dallas. She asked if it was my first time, I asked does the scared show that much? She said a bit. I found her before mile 1 and we ran pretty much together through the cut off for the half and full mary at mile 9. I had done 12 miles the week before with no problems so I thought I was pretty good. We had drove the course the night before and I cussed at each hill and when I cussed 1/2 way up the first 1.5 mile uphill stretch I cussed and laughed since I remember hubby telling me "you are going to do that tomorrow as well". Got going and was doing good. Realized that Rachel wasn't running a steady 11:30 that I had done in training - she was anywhere between a 10:30 and 12:00 and I had to back off a bit since I knew I couldn't hold 10:30's for 13 miles. Walked the aid stations while I had my shot blocks and then water/gatoraide and continued on. It was warm and I was starting to roll the sleeves on the shirt up to try to stay cool at mile 4. It was HOT and overcast and the first part we were pretty much blocked from the wind. The course loops back a 1/2 block from the start/finish area right before mile 8 and I saw hubby. Ran over and got a hug and kept going. He said I was still smiling at that point. I felt good. Hill up and over the Arkansas River was direct into 20mph gusts of wind. They didn't let up until we got to mile 8.5. There were times I thought that I was going backwards. Right before mile 9 the shot blocks I was talking threatened to come back up. Walked a minute and kept on. Said goodbye to Rachel at mile 9.5 as the full broke off and I kept running. As we turned the corner to come down a short downhill to Riverside and run the out and back along the river we saw the fire trucks and the ambulances. We knew this wasn't good. At mile 10 we saw them performing CPR on a gentleman and I had a hard time moving forward. I couldn't believe it. I kept going though. Walked about a mile total between mile 10.5 and mile 12. Just felt like I was going to get sick. I think I needed some more salt but I didn't have any. :( So I walked when I needed and at this point I knew the goal of 2:30 was out the window. Got to mile 12 and pushed on. Found the sign finally that said 300 yards to the finish - longest 300 yards of my life. Turned the corner to go up a small street to turn to the finish and I saw hubby - arm out swinging a cowbell. Blue Cross was handing them out that morning and I told hubby he needed to ring it. That was all I saw at first was hubby's coat (flannel) and the blue cowbell and just laughed. High fived him and turned the corner for home. Passed a guy on the corner and did a yell and little jump when I crossed. I knew people were watching from Iowa, Oklahoma and Illinios for me to finish so I waved hello. What I didn't know is that I was in the 30 min of tape that had problems and no one saw me finish. But I finished. Got my medal, gatoraide, blanket and found hubby.
What would you do differently?:

Incorporate more salt so I don't feel sick. Otherwise nothing - it was my first and I will probably do more. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Headed back to the hotel. Shower, grabbed food (wasn't really hungry) and headed for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't think anything did - this was my first so while I wanted to beat 2:30 the ultimate goal was to finish upright. According to hubby - finishing on a stretcher doesn't count :)

Event comments:

Found out the guy at mile 10 didn't make it. He was a 27 yo man that had run marathons and all kinds of races. What they didn't know was he had a heart condition that was undetected.

Last updated: 2010-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:19 | 13.3 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/340
Overall: 0/3313
Performance: Good
Course: First 1.5 miles is uphill, rolling hills with a steep hill at mile 8.5 and then flat after that hill to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-12-08 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Ankeny, Iowa
Subject: Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

2010-12-09 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3241807

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)
Great job on your first half.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon) Rss Feed