BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-04-07 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3431790

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Jan,

Bumping happens quite a lot in road races and especially in criterium races, and I've experienced it in some of the more aggressive group rides I've been in.  It should never happen in a triathlon (though no doubt it does sometimes).  Still, if you can bring yourself to give it a try with a willing partner, it will make you that much more comfortable on the bike.

I just arrived in the mountains today for a weekend with the family (but also a few mountain rides!).  I should be able to check in each day.  Have a great weekend everyone!

2011-04-09 12:02 AM
in reply to: #3434753

User image

Regular
Oh, awesome. I assume Smokey mountains? Don't know that part of our country well, just remember driving thru smokies when going to Myrtle Beach with family years ago, so beautiful.Rode with multisport group last night and the sponsor of this ride had a clinic for newbies. Bumping and being comfortable and relaxed on your bike. It was very helpful and fun to ride with them. Glad you have told me about bumping and body contact because I would have just thought I was crashing and lost control.Have a great weekend and I am off to try to catch up with my logs!Jan
2011-04-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3256073

User image

Griffin, Georgia
BRICK today!  Total time 1:45:41.  Bike 14 miles - 55:05. 6:55 transition. Run 3.15 miles - 43:41.  Just had to stretch and get some fluids before I could start the run.  It was pretty hot outside so I did not want to get in trouble trying this.  The distances I did today are the race distances for April 30th.  I know it is not blazing fast but I finished it.  I could not have done this back in October when I started so I am very happy.

2011-04-11 1:52 AM
in reply to: #3437646

User image

Pennsylvania
Great job, Bill!  Nice you could get a brick workout in to get the feel of what you will go through on race day.  And your last sentence says it all.  Well done! Be proud!
2011-04-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3437213

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

davisjanis58 - 2011-04-09 1:02 AM Oh, awesome. I assume Smokey mountains? Don't know that part of our country well, just remember driving thru smokies when going to Myrtle Beach with family years ago, so beautiful.Rode with multisport group last night and the sponsor of this ride had a clinic for newbies. Bumping and being comfortable and relaxed on your bike. It was very helpful and fun to ride with them. Glad you have told me about bumping and body contact because I would have just thought I was crashing and lost control.Have a great weekend and I am off to try to catch up with my logs!Jan

That's right -- Appalachian Mountains (in south-western NC).

Great that you were able to get some practice on handling skills.  It should definitely increase your confidence on the bike.

2011-04-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3437646

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

billeckert - 2011-04-09 2:27 PM BRICK today!  Total time 1:45:41.  Bike 14 miles - 55:05. 6:55 transition. Run 3.15 miles - 43:41.  Just had to stretch and get some fluids before I could start the run.  It was pretty hot outside so I did not want to get in trouble trying this.  The distances I did today are the race distances for April 30th.  I know it is not blazing fast but I finished it.  I could not have done this back in October when I started so I am very happy.

Way to go Bill!  That's a huge confidence-builder!

2011-04-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3441022

User image

Regular

Great job on the brick Bill, very good practice.

Michael, hope you got to do some riding in the mountains.

I have a question. I have injured my neck and shoulder, I think while racking and unracking my bike in the duathlon. That was more than a week ago now and it still hurts. I have continued with my swimming lessons and practice because my race is coming up and if I delay them I will lose what I have gained I think. I have not said anything to the swimming coach because he really has a plan worked out to get me going better by my race and I hate to interrupt it.  I think it is a muscle strain or pull. I can move my neck and head and it is getting better. Only hurts in certain positions now. I have decided I won't run for a few days since it really hurts when I run. Biking does not bother it. What is the right thing to do this close to a race, especially when just learning to swim better with lessons? I feel like I should rest it but it is getting better. I have taken so many pain meds in the past for my back that none of them help anymore so I have been using either heating pad or biofreeze. Any suggestions?

2011-04-12 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3442144

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
davisjanis58 - 2011-04-12 11:32 AM

Great job on the brick Bill, very good practice.

Michael, hope you got to do some riding in the mountains.

I have a question. I have injured my neck and shoulder, I think while racking and unracking my bike in the duathlon. That was more than a week ago now and it still hurts. I have continued with my swimming lessons and practice because my race is coming up and if I delay them I will lose what I have gained I think. I have not said anything to the swimming coach because he really has a plan worked out to get me going better by my race and I hate to interrupt it.  I think it is a muscle strain or pull. I can move my neck and head and it is getting better. Only hurts in certain positions now. I have decided I won't run for a few days since it really hurts when I run. Biking does not bother it. What is the right thing to do this close to a race, especially when just learning to swim better with lessons? I feel like I should rest it but it is getting better. I have taken so many pain meds in the past for my back that none of them help anymore so I have been using either heating pad or biofreeze. Any suggestions?

Thanks -- yes, I had a great ride up Mt. Pisgah involving an hour of non-stop climbing!  The descent is incredible -- you can easily hit 50 mph coming down!

First thing to say about necks is: be careful!  I'm no doctor, so bear that in mind...

It sounds like you pinched a nerve.  This has occasionally happened to me.  Usually it happens if I wake up having slept funny, then stretch and somehow my neck gets a pinched nerve.  It normally takes a few days for it to go away for me.

I would say that if it is getting better and you can swim without too much pain, then you are fine.

I can say with more confidence that you are unlikely to lose much fitness in a week, though maybe a little.

2011-04-13 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Hey everyone,

You might have noticed that the next round of mentor groups has started.  That means that this round is over.

I hope you were able to glean some useful advice and help from the group.  I certainly learned some things, and enjoyed it.  I admire all of your dedication, especially, I have to say, those who are just starting out.  It is a very difficult thing to get started in endurance sport as an adult.

Stick with it.  You know, consistency and all that.  Wink

All of you should feel free to PM me any time you wish to ask a question that you think I might be able to answer, but I also encourage you to use the Triathlon Talk forum, where you'll get the wisdom of the many people who read it (though you also have to sift through some, ahem, crap, at the same time...).

Best of luck to you all!

2011-04-13 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3445381

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Thanks Michael,

I don't really know what to say.  I am sad to have this group end but I also know that another group full of information awaits.  I learned an awful lot from you and this group during the past few months.  It has been a great experience that I will not forget.  I will take this experience with me as I move on in my training and my triathlon experience.   Maybe one day I can share some of what I have learned through this group with someone who is beginning.

Michael - Augusta 70.3 in 2012.

Good luck to all of you in the upcoming years.

Bill

2011-04-14 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3445745

Columbia, SC

Michael,

Thanks for sharing your wisdom about triathlon.  I hope to bump into in Columbia at a race one day soon. I was going to say not literally, but if I was bumping you, I would be doing really well in the race.

Take care,

Rusty

2011-04-14 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3445381

User image

Regular

Michael,

First of all, thanks for the advice on my shoulder. It is already better and just had a really good run.

And I can't tell you how much I really appreciate all I have learned from you and the others. I really enjoyed being a part of this group. You are very generous with your wisdom and knowledge and you have touched a lot of people's lives and will continue to do so, no doubt.

Take care and the best to you in all your training and races!

Jan

2011-04-15 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Thanks everyone, and feel free to 'drop by' (virtually or in person if we happen to be racing together) any time!  I had a good time talking triathlon with all of you.
2011-04-15 1:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Thanks Michael and everyone!  I really enjoyed being part of this group.  Good luck to everyone in their upcoming race seasons!
2011-04-18 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Plan to continue to lurk if that is ok, you have a lot of information that i find very valuable.  I plan to put it to good use starting in June as I prep for my HIM in Branson!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19