BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 172

2010-12-27 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3263477

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - Open

MINDY??

In your second post........is is missing a "not"? The rest of it seems to suggest so, and that's too bad as I really enjoyed looking at your links.

Well, best of luck wherever you have landed, and if you ever want to return there'll be a spot for you!

2010-12-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3263744

User image

Champion

Sarah! Welcome!

2010-12-27 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3263371

User image

Champion

MANFRED -

I like your goals -- a lot! The second part of #3 is especially intriguing, as it seems that for people who actually make the pool a goal.....it works! It seems to be that way for you, as 3X a week is very admirable. Are your swims at all structured, or pretty much just straightforward swimming?

Also intriguing - although not a stated goal - is having rollers. Rollers are prtty intense, especially ones that don't have a supporting brace and require an acute focus on balance and simply paying attention. I have yet to get on my rollers this off-season, going with the somewhat easier path afforded by my fluid trainer. Next week.....Jan 1 (or 2).....back on the rollers!

2-4 miles of running every other day is also admirable, and that, combined with the dedicated swims and the roller-work, makes me strongly suspect that finishing that first tri is just about in the bag. Of course, if you continue to try to fly by leaping off fences, per your photo, you just might get waylaid by some ferociuos injury. Best to stay on good old terra firma, don't you think?

Enjoy x3, indeed!

2010-12-27 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3263486

User image

Champion

SHANNEN -

Arguably the most successful triathlete of my other two groups is in it with her husband, and the support they give each other is incredible. How long did it take you to be exposed to tri before the bug bit you?

And which series did you participate in this past season? It used to be that a few years ago I could keep track of most series, as there really weren't all that many of them. Now, however, they have sprouted like mushrooms after a downpour --- which is a good thing, to be sure!

Finally, is there a particular sprint you have in mind, or are you fortunate enough to live in an area in which here are many to choose from? (Where there are "series"......... )

2010-12-27 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3256772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Steve, is your group still open for more members? If so, please count me in.

I like the wide variety in this group and the level of experience of the members and of the mentor!

I did my first season of sprint triathlons back in 2006 and I've been on hiatus from triathlons for the last 3 years. I would love to get my tri mojo back and need the accountability and the experience of training from others to fulfill my goals for 2011. There has been talk of returning to triathlons in 2011 and perhaps even a HIM on the road to an eventual IM in 2012.

I would love to be in this group if there is still room!
2010-12-27 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3263570

User image

Champion

GENE -

I like your schedule/progression! I am a pretty big fan of taking it slowly in moving up in distances, as I've found that most people find that approach highly rewarding. Not that there is anything patently wrong with the doing it the other way, but just that True Happiness seems to come more readily for those who take the time to savor the uniqueness of each distance.

As for your hope of doing an oly in late September, well, if those knees can hold out I'd say the chances are very, very good. by then you will have knocked off about seven sprints, and that should have you more than adequately prepared for an oly. Of course, too, will be the benefits of all those months of training leading up to late September. I mean, by my rough calculations (and not knowing exactly what you mean by "late September") that's about 267 days of training leading up to the oly. I think it's doable!

Finally, your knees will love you for every pound you can manage to lose. All Power to the Knees!

2010-12-27 10:44 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Hi John,

I would like to join if possible.

A little about me...

I am 44 years old and I am in my second year of triathlon training. I spent all last year focused on building a base, as is the plan for most of this year. Although, I am attempting to increase speed, that is I am only interested in sprints at this stage of building a base. I am currently in day 14 of a 84 day (12 weeks) intermediate balanced program from this site. After September this year (my last race - Vancouver Triathlon) I took about 3 weeks of no "programmed training". However, I couldn't stay completely away from it all. Since then I have spent time specifically on the bike section of my training and then just 14 days back to a balanced program. The largest difference since getting back to "serious" this year has been adding strength and stretching. WOW my bike times are dropping as I can feel the extra power from the squats while the stretching I attribute to aiding my running from.

My overall goals this year are to complete three sprints and get as close to one hour as I can. I would love to break it however, that may prove elusive. My fastest time to date is 1:13 Swim 13 Bike 35 Run 22. So individually I would like to break 10 in the water, 30 on the bike, and 20 on the run. Ideally in the same race lol. 

I am a short six foot (i.e. 5 10) and weight 141.5 in the morning and 145 in the afternoon.  

Generally, I like to work hard and have fun! If I'm not having fun in what I am doing I don't see the point - the runway of life is too short. My wife and I are very happily married and we have two children, and I have much support at home for my efforts. I can still hear my daughter yelling, "GO Daddy GO" as I left T2 in my last race.

I believe that my biggest asset is that I am teachable, not to what I want to learn, but, importantly, to what I need to learn. I look forward to meeting all the folks in this group and having you as our guide. 

Take care, 
Whato

Edited by Whato 2010-12-27 10:46 PM
2010-12-27 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3263615

User image

Champion

ADAM -

Eek! We cyber-crossed when I wrote the list on the Initial Nine, and I only just now discovered your presence here. Sorry to have not formerly/formally welcomed you before now!

Philly suburbs, eh? Dug yourself out yet from yesterday? Figuring the Eagles will beat Minny by about 29 points tomorrow night?

Congrats on choosing Marshman for your first! I've done a few Piranha races --- Diamondman half-iron ('03), Cape Henlopen ('04),........and a disappointing DNF at Brierman in '08. Neil has been running these things for a long time now, and he is very good with the details; I'm sure you'll have a terrific experience!

Your training plan is wisely prudent, and it should get you more than ready for Marshman. Easily! Do you have a pool relatively close to you?

Two young sprouts to tend to, I see! That'll keep you a bit busy in an other-than-training direction, but your plan as you outline it should allow for a good balance throughout your life. I will go over to the 20-week sprint plan later just to get familiarized with it --- although I guess I have a few months in which to do so, huh?

170 at 5'7" is not at all unreasonable, and if you can slough off those final 10 pounds to get to 160, that will be close to ideal. Congrats on what you have done so far!

2010-12-27 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3263779

User image

Champion

Sharon, consider yourself counted in!

Robert, same to you --- but only if you call me Steve, and not John!

2010-12-27 10:51 PM

User image

Philadelphia, PA
Team -- I just posted my training data on the site for the first time and was pretty impressed with how all the data shows up nicely summarized in the calendar. Much better than the spreadsheet I had been using, so I encourage everyone to try it out!

Also, wanted to share a few early highlights for me:

1) I've lost over 7 lbs since November 15 of this year
2) Pretty sure last week was the first time in my life that I ran, biked, swam and did strength workouts all in the same week
3) Last week was also the first time that I skipped the drinks at a work dinner out of town, and made it to a 5:30 am spin class the next morning at a gym that I walked to from my hotel

Lots of new things for me, and not sure everyone "gets" what I'm up to, but I really like the way I look and feel -- Adam.
2010-12-27 11:03 PM

Centennial, Colorado
Hi Steve,
I have been looking to join a mentor group and if you are still open for more people in your group I would really enjoy being a part of it. I will go ahead and post a bio when I get confirmation from you that you are still open for more people. Thanks,
Paul

2010-12-27 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3263654

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Yup, you're in ---- but only if you promise not to tell my wife about the chickens. She has been pestering me for several years to do the chicken-raising thing, and so far I have successfully declined the offer. But all it would take to get her going about it again is a little encouragement.....so no chicken talk, PLEASE!!

Congrats on the limp-free 3-miler, and I hope this signifies a full turning-of-the-corner for you. If you've got a few weeks, I can keep you endlessly amused with a detailed history of my own injuries, so I can empathize with how you have felt since Thanksgiving. Over the years I have gotten pretty good about listening to my body and backing off appropriately at the first sign that something is wrong........but it took a long time to get to that point. Hopefully you'll be a quicker study than I was!

A former Cat 4 cyclist, eh? You can probably keep ME endlessly amused with your own stories of crashes, yes? It might surprise tyou that I started cycling seriously in 2000, and it wasn't until June '09 that I had my first big bad crash (separated shoulder being the worst of it). I had just spent WAY too long in that "will crash" category, and knew my days were getting numbered!

ANYHOW.......your 2011 schedule looks pretty good, with the sprints building to an oly building to whatever Redman you choose. For now you might be best-served focusing on the half instead of the full, just to make sure that you are fully-recovered from whatever injury has plagued you for the past six weeks -- and to make sure you are not predisposed to it affecting you again. By the by, what was the injury that befell you?

Redman has a good rep -- nice choice!!

2010-12-27 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3263812

User image

Champion

Paul, you're confirmed! Note too the presence of Manfred, a fellow Utahian (not a real term, is it?).

2010-12-27 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3263813

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Mercifully few crashes in crits and road races. When I dabbled in ultra distance cycling I have been hit by cars twice, one hit and run, and numerous little spills. I am not entirely sure of my injury. I belive I flirted with IT issues in my left leg back in September. Recently I want to say a hip flexor or piriformis muscle. Had trouble standing, lifting my leg etc.   anytime I happened to bump my toe or trip over a chicken it sent pain shooting up my hip and knee. The pain seemed to migrate as well. I suspect that other muscles became effected from compensating-so a quad muscle, or hip flexor tear perhaps.
Yeah the half is wise. Even my marathon goal is questionable in it's wisdom but I think still achievable.
2010-12-27 11:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hey Steve,

Ok, some answers to your questions and some more info:

I'm 38, high school math teacher (hence mathsgeek), drummer, wannabe ice hockey player (!) and lapsed triathlete. Did a half-sprint tri in England in 2006 and loved it. I have never been a natural runner, and when I decided to do that triathlon, I had to train for months. It was 250m/12km/2.5km, but it was a real feat for me to get through it, as I was overweight, overwined and overchipped, and I was never going to be able to do it from a sofa start. As it was, my first run was 4 minutes and I had to stop to be sick after that....

I've come a long way from there! When I returned to NZ, I had the great fortune to be living in the town where IMNZ is run every year. There is massive support for the event and the athletes in the town, and I decided to have a go at that for the 2008 race. I trained for it, with the aid of a coach, from April to September, at which time I picked up a massive ear infection that resulted in 3 months of antibiotics, and my non-arrival at the start of the event. Had another go the following year, with a new coach, and due to various health and work issues, just couldn't get the training in. Decided early in 2010 to train again, this time just to get fitter and do some events, and trained really well until about May, but then got sick again. This time though, have had surgery and will never be sick again, and am good to go. So, have been training again slowly since about mid October, and now am going to go and DO a whole pile of little tris so that I get to enjoy the fun of race days and meeting other triathletes, and then I'll start to build my distances from there.

The two little tris I'm going to do are from the NZ Contact Women's Tri Series. This series looks fantastic; it's popular and is run by women for women, so it should be lots of fun. I'm excited to be doing them. I think the distances are 300m/12km/3km, so they should be doable and heaps of fun. I can't wait actually. It'll take me ages to get in, but that doesn't matter at this stage.

I'm thrilled to be back on BT and will be good with my logs again. Thanks so much for giving your time and positive energy to all of us. I personally appreciate it so much, and I'm sure all the other athletes do too.

2010-12-27 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3263705

User image

Champion

MELINDA -

IMAZ? Can you still hear the wind howling in your ears? One person from my first group did it in both '09 and '10, and he says that not only was this year vastly different from '09, but that on days when the wind is like it was on race day......he just passes on any planned bike ride. Mercy!

Is the Vineman you are doing this coming season the full Vineman? That is a great race, says the word on the street, and in '05 I considered it very carefully.....but then opted for an independent one about 35 minutes from home. (That was me, being wise for a change. ) That was my second iron, IMLP '04 being the first.

You probably know that losing one's mojo is very common following an iron. One of the upsides of a late-season iron is all the training time it accommodates, but the big downside is that once it is over ------ now what? When I did IMLP I was very wise to have Timberman half-iron on my schedule four weeks after LP. While I was not in 100% fighting form for Timberman, it was just great to have it there to deflect any letdown I might otherwise have had after IMLP.

In your case, I think you just have to start fitting in the workouts, all with Vineman as the big goal. What do you have between now and Vineman, which I am assuming is still in mid August (14th, maybe the 7th or so?)? I know that is still a long ways off and probably still tough to get fully psyched for, but every little bit of self-encourement vis-avis Vineman will help a lot. For starters, just keep in mind that, veen though i did the smart thing in NOT driving about 2900 miles to do Vineman, i still regret not availing myself of that opportunity while (a) I still loved driving long distances, and (b) I was still working and had the money to "waste" on such a hair-brained scheme. BUT, I am already living Vineman vicariously through you, so get psyched on my behalf, anyhow!

Finally, don't worry about the "damage" you have done, weight-wise, since IMAZ. That's part and parcel of the post-IM experience, and once you get back in the groove those pounds will come shawling off you. You've already survived the two big feast seasons, and it's clear sailing until next late November, right?

Finally-finally, John says he is dedicated BT-logger, and I told him I will at least try to get adequate, and you seem to be of the same wannabe resolve, so maybe through mutual osmosis we can make BT logging a happenin' thing!

2010-12-27 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3263821

User image

Champion

Yowzers! It's 12:27 a.m., so no wonder I'm feeling a bit dazed!

I think I've made it through everyone who first posted on page one, so that leaves the page two denizens -- David, Sarah, Sharon, Robert, Paul -- awiating a more detailed repsonse from me. Hopefully, that'll happen tomorrow morning, with tomorrow evening as a back-up option.

G'night, gang!

2010-12-27 11:39 PM
in reply to: #3263822

User image

Champion

JAC -

A quick-quick-quick one to you, figuring I might get you while you're actually awake. (I have to learn about what time it is over there, relative to here.) It is nothing to do about triathlon, or math, but....

Hockey! I think I've GOT to get Jane to come over and meet you! She started playing when she was eight, and continued it at the varsity level all four years of university. Since graduating and moving to NYC in '06 she has coached little kids and is now playing on an all-women team that is part of an otherwise all-male non-contact league. She lived and breathed hockey for so many years, it is now practically aprt of her genetic profile!

More on your post later. Have a good day -- or whatever part of the 24-hour cycle you are currently entering!

2010-12-28 1:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Hey Steve, I'd be very interested in joining your mentor group.

A little about myself.

Name: Duncan Quinlivan-Hall
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, currently residing in Taiwan.
Weight: August, 86 kilos (189 pounds).  Now, 82 kilos (180 pounds).

History:  I've never biked or swam any more than for just recreation.  In high school, I ran cross country, long distance track (1.5, 3 and 10k races), also played volleyball, skied, played badminton and baseball.  After high school I basically stopped.  I did a little intramural stuff in university, then moved to Taiwan.  I've been here 9 years now, and have done very little on the exercise front.  I played badminton for a short while, joined a gym for a year (and almost never went) blah blah blah, you know the story.

Currently:  In August I decided to do a triathlon.  I've had a post-it above my desk for the last 2 years with the Olympic distances, but had never done anything about it.  In August, I just started one day and haven't looked back.  My logs are up to date.

Me: I'm married to a beautiful Taiwanese woman, Jenny, and we have one daughter (6) Erinn, and another being born on January 1st (My wife has opted for a cesarean).  I'm the director of the English Language center at a private Junior High / Elementary school in Taiwan, and I teach a full schedule in addition to that.

Goals: To compete in a Sprint and Olympic distance race this year.  To lose a few more pounds and get into better overall shape. To enjoy life to its fullest.

P.S. My first ever multisport race will be on January 16th.  A 21km bike ride followed by a 5km trail run, and then a 9km road run.  Not at all worried about the bike (except for the embarrassment of showing up on a 10 year old, POS, mountain bike with a kids seat on back) but the 14km run has me pretty worried.  My longest training run so far was 8km.

Thanks for considering me.
2010-12-28 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Good Morning Steve,
I would love to join your group if there is room still available.
I'm 41 years old and I'm married to a wonderful lady and have 2 great kids.  My wife has been working out for about 2 years and this year she started to run 5k's.  My daughter is 10 and she has been in competive gymnastics since she was 4 and about 2 years she started to do competive cheer.  My son is 8 and has played soccer, basketball, tee ball and now he is up to coach pitch.  My family is very active and then the camera turns to me.  I'm 5' 7" and weighing in at 227 pounds. I have not always been this way, back before me and my wife met which was 1994 I was weighing 155 and I would race in 5k, 10k and also do duathalons.  I have not really done any exercise since about 1995.  I just joined a gym and have been 4 times in the last 5 days.  I'm really enjoying working out and I look forward to getting back into racing.

My Goals:  I have a few races that I would like to do this year (couple 5k's, one 10k and one 8k, I also would like to try and get my first sprint tri in 7/2011 and also 9/2011, and to end the year there is a half marathon in 11/2011 I would like to do.  Since it has been so long since I have trained I look forward to soaking up as much info I can from everyone in this group so I can reach my goals.  Oh I would also like to be at 195 LBS by my 42nd birthday 6/17/2011 and 175 by 12/31/2011.

Why I would make a good mentee: I have a great family and if I keep up my lifestyle then I will not be around to watch them grow up.  My daughter has already stressed her concern over my health and has told me she wants me to be around.  I tell you there is no better motivator then looking into your kids eyes and seeing how worried they are about you. 

Please all I can ask for is your's and the groups help on helping me get to my goals and also to help me grow old with my kids and watch them have kids.  I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks
George Miller
2010-12-28 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3263928

User image

Champion

Duncan! George!

Good morning and merry welcoming!

2010-12-28 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

Here is my Bio

Name:  John Hibler

Story:  I have always enjoyed running and adventure racing.  I have a great running group and one of they guys in my group decided to run an Ironman 2 years ago.  Once he got into the training aspect of it, that's all he talked about.  So last year I decided to do a few Tri's while still getting in all my running goals.  I got in a couple of running races and one Tri before having to shut my season down due to knee problems.  I hurt my Knee in June and tried to let it heal on it's own but finally decided to have knee surgery 6 weeks ago.  I had a lot of fun at that Tri.  Everyone was very helpful while I was setting up everything.  I remember being so nervous going into the swim but everyone around me kept telling me not to worry and just swim.  Then after the race, I ended up sticking around talking with everyone.  It was a very festive atmosphere.  So it kind of hooked me in.  I am slowly getting back into running now but the silver lining in having knee surgery is that I have been swimming a lot more and feel more comfortable in the water.   So I decided to make the jump and sign up for an Ironman.  I know it sounds crazy to go from a sprint to an Ironman but I need this goal to keep me motivated.  Aren't we all just a bit crazy to want to swim, bike, and run all in the same day????

Family:  I have been married for 17 years to an awesome woman who also loves to workout but is dealing with Plantar's right now.  We have three children ages 8, 6, and 2.  They keep me very busy between soccer, gymnastics, and swimming lessons.  We are a very active family and if I don't workout in the morning, I don't workout.  Weekends are the hardest time for me to get workouts in and I do worry about fitting in 5 hour bike rides this summer. 

Current Training
I have been trying to get 2 swims, runs, and bikes workouts in every week.  I have started to do a lot of yoga for stretching purposes.  My main goal through the winter is to get comfortable in the water. 

2011 Races:  I only have 2 "A" races this year.  The Mini Marathon in Indy and Ironman Louisville.  I would love to do more races but I usually never sign up for races until the day of because of my schedule.  I would like to get a HIM, and 3 other sprint and Oly tris this summer but that would just be icing on the cake. 

Weightloss:  I have to admit that I am a "Heavy" runner.  That means that I have always carried a bit of extra weight compared to other runners.  Since I have stopped running, I have gained an extra 10 lbs.  I would like to get rid of that before April. 

I am looking forward to this year and my main goal is to stay healthy for the entire year. 

Thanks for letting me in the group. 

John

2010-12-28 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3263735

User image

Champion

DAVID -

Wolfpack......NCState, right? Just checking!

Thanks for the very detailed bio, that is most helpful. Your story is a good one, full of patient progression but with the undercurrent of injury. (Been there! Done that!) I mean, not that the ITB was a major contributor to the "good" aspect, but stuff like that is so common that it cannot be ignored --- and does serve as a plot twist! Anyhow, we can trade ITB stories as things progress. I've had a couple of bouts over the years, but nothing too debilitating for too long. By the sounds of it, yours is in the past; may it stay that way!

Pinehurst! As my '10 season progressed, I got more and more psyched about finishing it with either Pinehurst or Washington half-iron.....and then I just got tired of the long drives. My last tri turned out to be one in Bethany Beach, DE, on Sept 25, and that was enough of a drive to contemplate one more long effort to NC on either Oct 17th (Pine) or the 31st (Wash). But maybe this coming year I'll do Pinehurst! It's the kind of course that sounds ideal for my skill-set, and that's always a good thing!

tri-Latta has a very good rep as well. It's been around for a while,a nd I think it's one of the staples in the huge offering of races from Set-Up Events. I've never considered it, however, don't know quite why.

Anyhow, your progression has been, and continues to be, very prudent, and if you can keep the ITB from twanging at inapropriate times you should easily be ready for a challenging season with Pinehurst at the end of the rainbow!

It sounds like you're doing a terrific job of working the family balance thing, so big credit to you for that accomplishment. And especially big credit for being such a keener about the swimming, which can often pose multi-roadblocks in any number of ways for many people. Is that your strength, maybe -- the swim?

Also, kudos to you for availing yourself of the various programs here at BT. I too am 100% solo in my training, and over the years I have benefitted from just being in "remote" contact with other triathletes. I have never followed a rigid on-line training program, but having an on-line coach for 3+ years was in the same rough ballpark, I suppose.

Warrior Dash, eh? Two people from my most recent group did one each last year, and I think both are converts. Both seem to have "lapsed" from the group.....which maybe means they have abandoned the rest of their lives and have taken to the road, following Warrior Dash events wherever they take place. Where is yours going to be?

Finally, which tris did you do this past season? And, are either of them on the calendar for '11, to use by way of comparison? just checking on that, too!

2010-12-28 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Steve,

I had a torn Medial meniscus as well.  I was hoping it would heal on its own and gave it a couple of months to heal but it never did.  I didn't want to see a doctor because I was afraid it would require surgery.  Its been almost 6 weeks and I am up and running again but it's amazing how fast you lose cardio.  I have to ice my knee after each run but it feels better now than before the procedure.  This was my first real injury.  I have been running most of my life. ( I am 42 years old and forgot to mention that in my bio).

I run better in the cold but I can deal with the heat.  I am mostly worried about the hills on the bike since Indiana is very flat.  I was hoping to make a few trips down to Louisville to ride at least part of the bike course. 
2010-12-28 7:50 AM

User image

Ohio
Wow very excited to see everyones stories and experiences Hoping you will all inspire me and get my mojo working again!! LOL
Well a little more about me... I am a stay at home mom of 2 girls ages 4 & 2 so I don't have a whole lot of training time to myself and it is getting harder to push them in the jogger and pull them on the bike!! :-)
My hausband has been doing tri's for about 4 years and last year decided to sign me up for a girls tri series so I had no more excuses! I have been running for about 10 years and love doing 5k's but I had 3 weeks before my first race to learn to swim. I finished the series with the goal for each race "just finish" This year my goal is to be more competitive and to work on my finishing times!
I am registered for the same Girls Tri Too series this upcoming year, I don't have a sprint race picked yet because I am still not too sure about doing the longer swim in "open" water. I took swim lessons this fall and have been trying to get to the Y 2x's a week to swim. I also need to improve my bike times I usually train alone so I have a hard time pushing myself to go harder!
Excited to follow along with everyone and be motivated to actually keep up with my workout logs and goals!
:-)
shannen
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Got Your Mojo WORKIN'! group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 172