BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-07 6:14 AM
in reply to: #3282568

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" OPEN
hippotude - 2011-01-06 1:20 PM Name: hippotude/Nikki

Story: I am going into my third season of tris.  I started doing tris because I need something else to motivate me to workout beside just losing weight.  After I did my first sprint I was hooked.  Last season I completed the Memorial Herman Half Ironman which I say is my greatest athletic accomplishment in my life. 

I was an athlete in high school, but was sidelined with a knee injury.  After that I gained a large amount of wieght in college and became very inactive.  Since college, I have become active again and I have dropped the weight.

Current Training: I am training for the Houston Half Mary later this month and plan to start my half Ironman training next week.

Family Status: SO who does tris with me and is a great motivator and training partner

2011 Schedule: Right now just Memorial Herman Half Ironman

Weightloss:  Need to drop a few of the holiday pounds but that is all

I am excited to join the group if you will have me.

Nikki, where are you from and what do you do for work? I am doing the half iron in Galveston too, along with a lot of people in our group.  How long have you been out of college. Welcome to the group!

2011-01-07 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3282998

User image

Tyler,
Danielle07 - 2011-01-06 3:59 PM Happy New Year William.

I am a newby here and to tri's. I am motivated by you just from reading your blog. lol I am interested in picking your brain and learning from you. I need someone to point me in the right direction and keep me in line when I start to lag. I have no workout schedual and don't even know where to start. I was very athletic prior to having my last child, and now for about 2 yrs now I have done nothing. So basically I am overweight and need to get back into shape. I haven' t signed up for a compitition yet, but I will as soon as I get things going. Thank you. Hope to hear from you soon. D..

Hello Danielle, where are you from and what do you for work? Thanks for reading my blog, that is what it is intended to is to inspire and show a little bit of my life outside of tris and give some race details. How many children do you have? I would reccomemend joining a local tri club if there is once close and get involved in some beginner workouts, or choose a beginner plan on here to ease you into it.
2011-01-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3283870

User image

Euless
Unfortunately no.  I have Team In Training workouts on Saturday's at 7am in Fort Worth for run/swim workouts.  So my riding will have to be on Sunday's.  Have you heard of Team in Training?  If not, check out the link in my signature - info should be in menu bar at the top of the page. 
2011-01-07 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3283533

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-01-06 8:52 PM Name: Grant Berkery 
Story: Ran XC through high school and college as well as recreational BMX MTB and road biking. I'm now 24 in grad school had a couple years of doing no sports at all and then met a friend at work who got me back into shape. Consistency is my weak point so I need to make some good choices and break my bad habits, hopefully this group will help!

Current training: Hit or miss kind of... Longest run 50 min. @ an easy pace. Haven't been on the road bike in a while but usually 20-30 miles around 16-20 mph. Swimming is my weakest suit so if anyone has advice there I would appreciate it. Usual swim is 400yd. total in increments of either 200, 150, 100, 50 depending on how I feel at the end of each.

Family Status: Will be maried for a year Feb. 27th, and things are great. No kids yet maybe another year if we can wait that long.

2011 Tentative Schedule:
Super bowl Y-tri (Sarasota)- 400 pool swim, 12m bike, 2 mile run
Half Marathon- end of April (country music one in Nashville)
Siesta Key Triathlon (October I think).
Florida state mountain bike series (or coconut cup) later in the year
any other random events I decide to do

Weightloss: maybe 5 pounds? I'm 5'10" 145 so its never been a concern for me but being at 140 to race would be nice.

Current thoughts or questions...
I'm thinking that my swimming is at the point where I need to really push myself to longer distances. Similar to when people first start running its a struggle for a while and you really have to push yourself to overcome that initial struggle. I think I have decent form but need tips on breathing. I've looked at the beginner swim articles on her and I'm considering printing those out to work on this issue.
   I might lack structure in my goals for a while but I just want to get through my first Tri and some other events and then get back to training really hard and getting in good shape.
Look forward to working with yall.

Hey Grant, You are similar to me in some ways. What kind of times did you posts in xc? Consistency is definitely the key for long term success. I was a late bloomer in endurance sports but being consistency has paid off especially for my abilities with triathlon. I ran cross country at UT Tyler with my best time on 8k of 27:12 on a hilly course and best 5 mile is 26:34 in a road race that was real flat. That was like 4 years ago, I haven't quite been that fast in sometime. But balancing swimming and biking makes things harder. But I Have improved a lot on the swim and bike when I first started. The bike is now one of my best practices especially in the 70.3s. My coach is trying to get me to run stronger off the bike, bc he says the speed is there to do it. Anyways, this is about you, as for as weight loss goes, I wouldn't reccommend it bc with triathlon you need some extra weight for the swim and some strength/power on the bike. I am 5'10" and race around 150, right now I am 154.

For swimming definitely start working on swim tech first and attending some swim clinics if you can. When you breathe, only one eye should be out and look at your 4 and 6 o' clock directions.
2011-01-07 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Tyler,
Good morning everyone!!! How is everyone doing. The group is still OPEN.  I think we are up to 9 people, so I am only taking a few more before I cut it off. I think the off season is officially over for me as my appetite is out of control and I did my first ice bath last night. Brrr!!! I haven't updated my logs yet, as I forgot to bring my Garmin to work with me to do it. If you are close by we are doing a group ride in Frisco Saturday morning at 7:30am on the corner of Main and Teel behind Starbucks in the Krogers  parking lot. There are going to be some fast dudes there and my gf Jenn who wants some riding partners so I contacted some different riders that I knew of in all abilities. With that said I will be in Dallas for the weekend and most likely out of pocket for the weekend.

Please ask questions to keep this mentor group rolling with concerns you may have. I am here to help but don't know what to tell you if you don't ask. Triathlon can be a complicated sport, but it doesn't have to be. I maybe able to respond to questions but if not I'll respond back Monday morning.

Have a great weekend!
2011-01-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3283415

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2011-01-06 7:57 PM

I would love to learn more, do you have another spot open?  If you do ironstar (oil man in 2011) you will have a place to stay 10 miles away

Welcome back Patrick!!!  What specific questions do yo have. Of course we have a spot for you, I accidently over looked this at first. I may do Ironstar if I can afford it. Thank you!

2011-01-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3283880

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2011-01-07 6:14 AM
hippotude - 2011-01-06 1:20 PM Name: hippotude/Nikki

Story: I am going into my third season of tris.  I started doing tris because I need something else to motivate me to workout beside just losing weight.  After I did my first sprint I was hooked.  Last season I completed the Memorial Herman Half Ironman which I say is my greatest athletic accomplishment in my life. 

I was an athlete in high school, but was sidelined with a knee injury.  After that I gained a large amount of wieght in college and became very inactive.  Since college, I have become active again and I have dropped the weight.

Current Training: I am training for the Houston Half Mary later this month and plan to start my half Ironman training next week.

Family Status: SO who does tris with me and is a great motivator and training partner

2011 Schedule: Right now just Memorial Herman Half Ironman

Weightloss:  Need to drop a few of the holiday pounds but that is all

I am excited to join the group if you will have me.

Nikki, where are you from and what do you do for work? I am doing the half iron in Galveston too, along with a lot of people in our group.  How long have you been out of college. Welcome to the group! 

I am from the Houston area and I am a high school teacher.  I just had my ten year reunion from college this past Oct.  I guess I became serious about dropping the extra weight and getting in shape when I was 25 ro 26 years old (I am 33 now).  Then in 2008 decided to find something else to keep me motivated to do workouts and eat right and was talked into doing tris by my SO.  That was one of the best ideas and I have been having a blast for the bast 2 years.

2011-01-07 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3283868

User image

Dallas, TX
triritter
Hopefully you can join us this weekend. check your facebook messages.  As far as I know there going to be some fast dudes there and Jenn is riding. I think she can hold 15-17mph. I invited riders of all abilities, including Adam Webster. He is in our mentor group.

Thanks for the invite - I can't make it tomorrowFrown  I actually live in Frisco, so it would have been very convenient.  And I might have been able to hang with Jenn.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for the running input. 
2011-01-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3284210

User image

Tyler,
kussmaul - 2011-01-07 8:51 AM
triritter
Hopefully you can join us this weekend. check your facebook messages.  As far as I know there going to be some fast dudes there and Jenn is riding. I think she can hold 15-17mph. I invited riders of all abilities, including Adam Webster. He is in our mentor group.

Thanks for the invite - I can't make it tomorrowFrown  I actually live in Frisco, so it would have been very convenient.  And I might have been able to hang with Jenn.  Maybe next time.

Thanks for the running input. 

There will be many more opportunities. U can add her on facebook too if you want and send her a message on how you know me. That you are looking for a training partner.
2011-01-07 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3283910

Master
Montgomery, Tx
triritter - 2011-01-07 6:37 AM

I would love to learn more, do you have another spot open?  If you do ironstar (oil man in 2011) you will have a place to stay 10 miles away

Welcome back Patrick!!!  What specific questions do yo have. Of course we have a spot for you, I accidently over looked this at first. I may do Ironstar if I can afford it. Thank you!

I have some questions regarding doing intervals during long rides.  I also have a couple of questions about plans for IMTX.  I am more just looking to make sure I am not wasting time in my training

Edit to add:  your inspires are worth there weight in gold

Edited by TriPatrick 2011-01-07 10:16 AM
2011-01-07 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3284417

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2011-01-07 10:08 AM

I have some questions regarding doing intervals during long rides.  I also have a couple of questions about plans for IMTX.  I am more just looking to make sure I am not wasting time in my training

Patrick...what are your questions ???  ;P

2011-01-07 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3283875

Extreme Veteran
Hey Tiffany, where are you from? If I had to guess you are from the Houston area based on your races. I was at 70.3 Texas and Bridgeland last year and I am doing them again. What do you do for work? You seem like a type A person who knows how to get things done. How tall are you?

I am from the Houston area...about 80 miles southwest, which is far enough to prevent me from joining training groups in Houston during the weekdays, but I do try to get up there for OWS on a regular basis.

We'll have to plan an in-person meetup when you get down here for races. I've made quite a few friends in the Houston tri circles, and I bet we've run across each other in passing at some point.

I am a high school teacher, although this week not much of that going on this week since our district has received some letters with death threats and a lot of the kids have chosen to stay home because of this. I also own my own videography business and do high school sports videos/recruiting videos and dance recital/competition videos. Both jobs keep me very busy from August to the end of May.

Definitely a Type-A...structure and routine is a must for me.

I'm 5'6" and a slow runner when it comes to distance. Give me a 100 and I could tear it up, though. Smile
2011-01-07 1:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Alright, my "first question" is really just looking for some feedback on my 70.3 plan. I'm taking parts from the BT Olympic to HIM bridge plan I used last year, with a few modifications. The plan is attached.

I've also cut back on the swim training in order to get more time on the bike...I'm pretty confident in my swim ability and preparation, but feel free to let me know if the swim training looks like it's lacking. All other feedback is welcome as well.

A little background about my plan:

Tuesdays and Fridays usually have to be single workouts because of other committments, and Thursdays have to be short run/moderate swim because of a committment there as well.

In my first HIM last year, I was definitely underprepared on the bike, but it was my fault for not getting all of the longer bike sessions in. Lesson learned...I am now committed to doing all of my long rides this year.

I feel good about the run, especially since I have quite a bit of volume from the HM training. I'm still slow, but I can get the distance in for sure...I just want to feel better off the bike this time around.

Attachments
----------------
Half Ironman Plan 2011.docx (41KB - 18 downloads)
2011-01-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3284503

Master
Montgomery, Tx
triritter - 2011-01-07 10:42 AM

OK-  I am starting with Be iron fits competitive plan on week 11(20 weeks out) andthen finishing with a endurance nation itermediate plan for the last 12 weeks (they ride/run harder).  I want to limit my rides during the week to under 1.5 hours.  I was thinking of doing some intervals from JorgeM cycling plan and riding Saturdays 3-6 hours and Sundays half the time.  I plan on making wed or thursday a long run so I have the weekend to ride.  I will also run 1.5 hours and less on the weekends. 
Just think about this and I will send you the plans through facebook.  I do not want to post for plagiarism reasons. 
2011-01-07 3:21 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Name:  Patrick McLendon
Story:  
Family Status:  married and 2 kids (4, 4months), I am a Elementary Physical Education teacher in Conroe, TX, Going back to get my masters in exercise science next year. 
Current Training:  IMTX training
2010 races:  I did Kona tri Sprint in baytown, Bridgeland sprint, and Ironstar HIM (5:05).
2011 Races:Gateway to the bay OLY April 4th, IMTX 5/21, Bridgeland sprint August, Houston Oly, and a fall HIM
Weight Loss Goals:  right now I am 210.  I think 190 or less would be great by IMTX.  I was 205 when I went 5:05 for Ironstar HIM and IMTX will be about the same course.  I can not remember 190

2011-01-07 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Considering joining your group.  Will write bio later when I have some more time.

2011-01-07 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3285297

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2011-01-07 3:15 PM
triritter - 2011-01-07 10:42 AM

OK-  I am starting with Be iron fits competitive plan on week 11(20 weeks out) andthen finishing with a endurance nation itermediate plan for the last 12 weeks (they ride/run harder).  I want to limit my rides during the week to under 1.5 hours.  I was thinking of doing some intervals from JorgeM cycling plan and riding Saturdays 3-6 hours and Sundays half the time.  I plan on making wed or thursday a long run so I have the weekend to ride.  I will also run 1.5 hours and less on the weekends. 
Just think about this and I will send you the plans through facebook.  I do not want to post for plagiarism reasons. 

Hey Patrick, no point in riding 6 hours for 70.3. The longest I did was maybe 5 hours it was all aerobic. The longest one I do with intervals is 4 hours during the year. Most rides during the week are between 90min-2 hour rides. For big weekends my training looks something like this:

Friday: Hard Swim + 30-60 min aerobic run, maybe with some short pickups or Hard Swim with a legs off day.
Satruday: 3-4 hour ride with intervals, something like 3x30-45 min @ 70.3 effort and 15-20 min easy + run off the bike something like 2-4x2 miles @ 70.3 w/ 2 min rest.
Sunday: long run 90 min -2 hours, this is sometimes all easy, progression, or built into some intervals like 2x15 min @ 6:15, or something steady like that.
Monday: Strength Swim, legs off day or completely off depending on how hard the weekend was.

Just hire a coach  and no cookie cutter plan look up my coach Brent Poulsen or Aaron Palian from OnUrLeft, he is around your area. I think you are that level.

2011-01-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3285329

User image

Tyler,
Trout - 2011-01-07 3:28 PM Considering joining your group.  Will write bio later when I have some more time.

Quit thinking about it and just do it. What are you wanting to get out of the sport?
2011-01-07 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3285312

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2011-01-07 3:21 PM Name:  Patrick McLendon
Story:  
Family Status:  married and 2 kids (4, 4months), I am a Elementary Physical Education teacher in Conroe, TX, Going back to get my masters in exercise science next year. 
Current Training:  IMTX training
2010 races:  I did Kona tri Sprint in baytown, Bridgeland sprint, and Ironstar HIM (5:05).
2011 Races:Gateway to the bay OLY April 4th, IMTX 5/21, Bridgeland sprint August, Houston Oly, and a fall HIM
Weight Loss Goals:  right now I am 210.  I think 190 or less would be great by IMTX.  I was 205 when I went 5:05 for Ironstar HIM and IMTX will be about the same course.  I can not remember 190

What are you  looking to do with your exercise science degree? 5:05 is a good time at Ironstar, not that easy of a course. We will be at a lot of the same races.

2011-01-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3283892

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-01-07 7:26 AM
grownassman161 - 2011-01-06 8:52 PM Name: Hey Grant, You are similar to me in some ways. What kind of times did you posts in xc? Consistency is definitely the key for long term success. I was a late bloomer in endurance sports but being consistency has paid off especially for my abilities with triathlon. I ran cross country at UT Tyler with my best time on 8k of 27:12 on a hilly course and best 5 mile is 26:34 in a road race that was real flat. That was like 4 years ago, I haven't quite been that fast in sometime. But balancing swimming and biking makes things harder. But I Have improved a lot on the swim and bike when I first started. The bike is now one of my best practices especially in the 70.3s. My coach is trying to get me to run stronger off the bike, bc he says the speed is there to do it. Anyways, this is about you, as for as weight loss goes, I wouldn't reccommend it bc with triathlon you need some extra weight for the swim and some strength/power on the bike. I am 5'10" and race around 150, right now I am 154.

For swimming definitely start working on swim tech first and attending some swim clinics if you can. When you breathe, only one eye should be out and look at your 4 and 6 o' clock directions.

Best times were 30:14 8k (college) and 17:25 5k (from high school). My training in college wasn't as intense as high school believe it or not. I always had to be doing hard intervals to get my times down, don't have as much natural talent as most college runners and dropped time later in the season.
  I definitely see a need for myself to have more power for the bike. I'm considering a tri group that charges $120/6 months with a good coach and some perks with it but I've never really believed in paying for gym memberships and similar things. Has anyone benifited from a similar group?

Gotta go run now, hopefully an hour!
2011-01-07 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3285534

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
OK then.

Name: Trout/Steve

Story: Just turned 33.  Ran XC (4th in State in '95) and track (9:38 2 mile, 4:30 mile) in HS.  Ran at DI Bucknell University from '96-2000.  Low 15s for 5k on the track; 25:30 for 8k XC.  Lost all fitness after a 7+ year layoff (2002-2009).  Jumped into a New Years 5k on 1/1/10 with absolutely no training and 2010 turned into a comeback year.  Started from square 1 with swimming last January and got my first road bike in March.  Did my first sprint tri last August - totally bombed the OWS but rebounded on the bike and run to take 4rd in AG.

Ran my first half marathon last October in 1:29+ on 10mpw.

Current training: Taking a boot camp conditioning class 3x/week at local Y to work on building some upper body and core strength.  Ride w/ my trainer 2-3 times per week.  Signed up for a series of runs and my focus is on the half marathon in mid-March.

Family Status: Married 6 years; two boys (3.5 and 20 months);  SO isn't too thrilled with my new found hobby, but I do what I can to make it work (early mornings, lunch hour, late nights)

2011 Schedule:  Isn't quite set - see SO comment above.

Weightloss: 5'8" and 160 currently.  Started 2010 at 183 and got to as low as 156.  Would like to drop 5-10 more, that will take a lot of work.  Struggle with cookies, pizza and the occasional beer.

Currently reading Total Immersion to improve my swimming.  It's been some time since I've been to the pool and need to get my butt out of bed at 5:45am to get a workout in.  Also will need to do some more OWS this spring/summer so I can get over it...whatever 'it' is.  Also got an OWS book for Christmas to read.

2011-01-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3285905

User image

Regular
Trout - 2011-01-07 10:10 PM OK then.

Name: Trout/Steve

Story: Just turned 33.  Ran XC (4th in State in '95) and track (9:38 2 mile, 4:30 mile) in HS.  Ran at DI Bucknell University from '96-2000.  Low 15s for 5k on the track; 25:30 for 8k XC.  Lost all fitness after a 7+ year layoff (2002-2009).  Jumped into a New Years 5k on 1/1/10 with absolutely no training and 2010 turned into a comeback year.  Started from square 1 with swimming last January and got my first road bike in March.  Did my first sprint tri last August - totally bombed the OWS but rebounded on the bike and run to take 4rd in AG.

Ran my first half marathon last October in 1:29+ on 10mpw.

Current training: Taking a boot camp conditioning class 3x/week at local Y to work on building some upper body and core strength.  Ride w/ my trainer 2-3 times per week.  Signed up for a series of runs and my focus is on the half marathon in mid-March.

Family Status: Married 6 years; two boys (3.5 and 20 months);  SO isn't too thrilled with my new found hobby, but I do what I can to make it work (early mornings, lunch hour, late nights)

2011 Schedule:  Isn't quite set - see SO comment above.

Weightloss: 5'8" and 160 currently.  Started 2010 at 183 and got to as low as 156.  Would like to drop 5-10 more, that will take a lot of work.  Struggle with cookies, pizza and the occasional beer.

Currently reading Total Immersion to improve my swimming.  It's been some time since I've been to the pool and need to get my butt out of bed at 5:45am to get a workout in.  Also will need to do some more OWS this spring/summer so I can get over it...whatever 'it' is.  Also got an OWS book for Christmas to read.

Sounds like a cool story and your times from the past are awesome. Ever read Once a Runner? "Everyone ran the mile in 4:30 in high school" just a funny quote from the book. My best was 4:45 though.
 Good luck this year
2011-01-07 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3285928

User image

Regular
Swim drills for tomorrow?

The only thing I ever come up with is to do some kicks. I'm not creative in the pool yet... Any ideas on what I can do to work on some technique? Keep in mind my longest swim workout is usually 600M.
Thanks,
Grant
2011-01-07 10:46 PM

I'm interested in joining your group.  I'm 27 and back in University working on my degree.  Over the past 6 years or so I keep going through periods of exercising and eating well, and periods of not doing that.  Right now I'm on another "peak" of doing well, and I've dropped about 15 lbs in the past few months.  I've still got another ~25 to go, but I'm making progress.

I've been interested in tri for a while, and I think it's a great challenge for me.  Would you be willing to take on a beginner?  My biggest problem is with running as I have weak legs/low arches (most of the discomfort associated with this will go away with training, I'm told).

Assuming I'm welcomed in, do I just pick a program and start updating my log daily?  Do you have any preferred "beginner" program? 
2011-01-08 12:30 AM
in reply to: #3285952

Extreme Veteran
grownassman161 - 2011-01-07 9:40 PMSwim drills for tomorrow?

The only thing I ever come up with is to do some kicks. I'm not creative in the pool yet... Any ideas on what I can do to work on some technique? Keep in mind my longest swim workout is usually 600M.
Thanks,
Grant
Hey Grant... Try this: WU: 150 (50 free, 50 kick, 50 pull)- 45 sec. rest; MS: 3x100 (each 100 like this- 25 fingertip drill, 25 catch-up drill, 25 closed fist drill, 25 single arm drill) with 30-45 sec rest between each 100. CD: 100 free easy........I've attached a link explaining some of the drills. Also, I think there are some sample videos here on BT. Check out YouTube for visual examples, too. You can find lots of good stuff that can help. Good luck...have a great swim!
http://www.mvm.org/workouts-drills.php

Edited by roadrhino 2011-01-08 12:38 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28