BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2011-01-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3289244

Subject: RE: Tri/tbay Group OPEN
Roy,

I'm not a member of a gym (yet), so most of my "weight" workouts are exercises like push ups, dips, lunges, pull ups, etc.  Will this approach yield better performance or do I need to get to a gym and push some iron?

2011-01-10 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3289675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

mfrench3047 - 2011-01-10 10:43 AM Roy,

I'm not a member of a gym (yet), so most of my "weight" workouts are exercises like push ups, dips, lunges, pull ups, etc.  Will this approach yield better performance or do I need to get to a gym and push some iron?

Functional strength can be achieved in various ways. All of those you are doing will certainly be helpful even if you were going to gym.  So continue it's all a benefit.

2011-01-10 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3284103

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hi Brian,

Mountain Bikes can weigh a bit more then the Road Bikes! If you are riding on the road, you will be getting the extra burden of road friction against those big heavy mud tires, but your speed and cadence wont be like the road bike at all due to the difference in gear ratios. I ride Mountain bikes in the off season to help with road handling skills, since riding off road and on road are very much 2 different types of riding in regards to respiratory requirements and muscle recruitment.

If you are riding on road, just ride a steady state, which is the cadence and speed which you can hold the constant pace over a constant time. That is a good way to build base and begin to increase endurance before moving on the higher intensity speed / interval work. You will see, there will be a huge difference between working the mountain bike, and when you get a road bike.

Drop me a note on how your trial went over the weekend, feedback, how it went, etc.

bjflynn - 2011-01-07 9:24 AM

Bike experts.....
I am looking for a ideas on open road bike workouts.  I have started implementing a combination of workouts for the trainer. My road rides have been just riding, trying to pedal the entire ride.

Gear: Borrowed GT mountain bike that weighs close to a metric ton 
          Blackburn Delphi 4.0 computer (cadence and speed) Saturday will be the first full trial.

Not too worried about riding the mountain bike yet.  I should be getting a road bike soon ( I will be asking for more advice later), plus I figure the more I work on the mountain bike the stronger I will be on the road bike.

Thanks,
Brian 

2011-01-11 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3291130

User image

Corey,

Thanks for the reply. 
Saturdays ride went well, I rode 18miles average, speed just under 13mph, average cadence 79rpm.   I tried to hold cadence between 85 and 90 rpm. This is only the second time I rode this particular route. The weekend previous was very windy and the head wind was hammering me on the hilliest portion(BT route manager has it @ 980' climbing total)  of the ride, average speed was just under 11mph, not sure what the average cadence was, as I did not have my computer yet.

Do you think I should stick with the Mountain Bike for a month or so to build up better strength and endurance ? or shoudl I get going on the road bike?

I do have the $ for a beginner road bike now.

Thanks
2011-01-11 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Brian, if you have the money for a road bike it would be better to get it now and get comfortable heading into the race season. If your buying from a local shop they should offer a fitting at a discount or at no cost. It is well worth it, also they should offer a saddle trial at no cost as well until you get the one that feels the best. The MTB your riding has you sitting much more upright than what you'll be on a road bike so be prepared for some discomfort that you may not be experiencing at this point. Saddles are truly rider comfort, what works for one doesn't work for another. And who knows the stock saddle on the bike may be the one.

The other day when you wrote that route 66 is out your door, the first thing that popped into my head what Asleep at The Wheel singing On Route 66.

2011-01-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3292084

User image

Great.   Thanks for the tips. 
Hopefully I will have one this weekend.

2011-01-11 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Roy,
So I decided to join the YMCA in St. Pete because I can swim train whenever they are open and they have child care as that is a big issue for me and North Shore doesn't provide it and North Shore's schedule does not work for me. This weekend the Y is having a 3 hr Triathlon Boot Camp so I am attending that to get familiar with what I am getting myself into!  I also have a 6 mile Bike/Run Relay race on Sunday it is The Florida Dirty Duo in N. Tampa it should be a good time. So I will just keep updating my log with my workouts. Talk to you soon. Courtney
2011-01-11 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3292084

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey Brian,

I agree with Roy, go ahead and get the bike now if you are able! As he said, there is no reason to train going into a season with a bike you do not intend to ride. Save the Mountain bike though, its a handy training tool for off season riding as well as cross training when you want to break monotony during your training from time to time!

Corey
2011-01-12 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3293432

User image

Cory and Roy,

Thanks for the advice on the bike.  I plan on getting bike this weekend.

Now for anther concern.....I intended to do a 40min trainer ride this morning but I am started to have some knee pain on the inside of the leg part of the joint, so I cut it short.  I felt it a little after my long ride on Saturday, but not on Mondays little trainer ride or yestedays run.  Could this be a bad fit on the current bike or should I be concerned enough to take it easy the rest of the week.

Other than that training is progressing good.  Good run yesterday morning and really good swim last night.

Brian

2011-01-12 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3293063

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

buc20 - 2011-01-11 4:05 PM Roy,
So I decided to join the YMCA in St. Pete because I can swim train whenever they are open and they have child care as that is a big issue for me and North Shore doesn't provide it and North Shore's schedule does not work for me. This weekend the Y is having a 3 hr Triathlon Boot Camp so I am attending that to get familiar with what I am getting myself into!  I also have a 6 mile Bike/Run Relay race on Sunday it is The Florida Dirty Duo in N. Tampa it should be a good time. So I will just keep updating my log with my workouts. Talk to you soon. Courtney

Courtney thanks for checking in, looks like a fun time in N. Tampa. Just make sure you get good and dirty. The boot camp looks like a good prep for going forward. Let us know how it goes.

2011-01-12 9:43 AM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Ok, I need some help. The university here have a pool where I can go training. We have no coaches or anything so little difficult to get advice on proper technique. I was watching some swimming videos online and others, but would like to know a training program. In the training programs section here there are several for sprint tri but they all assume you can do at least 12 min swim and I'm not sure if I can do that yet!! so how can I start training for swimming? any advice?

2011-01-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3294251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

bjflynn - 2011-01-12 9:41 AM

Cory and Roy,

Thanks for the advice on the bike.  I plan on getting bike this weekend.

Now for anther concern.....I intended to do a 40min trainer ride this morning but I am started to have some knee pain on the inside of the leg part of the joint, so I cut it short.  I felt it a little after my long ride on Saturday, but not on Mondays little trainer ride or yestedays run.  Could this be a bad fit on the current bike or should I be concerned enough to take it easy the rest of the week.

Other than that training is progressing good.  Good run yesterday morning and really good swim last night.

Brian

Brian, if your having some knee issues, most likely it is the current fit on the bike. I wouldn't worry about it to much since you are going to get a road bike. Now if this presents itself again once fitted then some more specific things will need to be looked into. Pedal stroke, foot placement on the pedal, saddle position. So we'll see. If you are not having any issues on the run, then it's most likely the bike that is the issue. Since you felt it on your outdoor ride but not the indoor ride makes since, since you were applying more pressure in the outdoor conditions.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-01-12 9:57 AM
2011-01-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3294462

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

snakemau - 2011-01-12 10:43 AM Ok, I need some help. The university here have a pool where I can go training. We have no coaches or anything so little difficult to get advice on proper technique. I was watching some swimming videos online and others, but would like to know a training program. In the training programs section here there are several for sprint tri but they all assume you can do at least 12 min swim and I'm not sure if I can do that yet!! so how can I start training for swimming? any advice?

Good Morning, getting started swimming can be a intimitading at first, and it's one of the areas I like to make a point of when I'm helping local triathletes with swimming. Gaining confidence in their abilities, so when in the water that first time its not a panic and wreck a perfectly good day. With that said, do the videos make since to you? There is a swim website that is pretty discriptive and can be helpful smimsmooth.com, kind fun to look at their animated swimmer.

To get started your initial workouts may only consist of a few laps of freestyle, maybe some kicking if you are able to with a kickboard. And then a slow increase in volume depending on how often you intend to swim. Lots of people start this way so your not alone. Unlike when we all took our water safety courses when we were young you don't hold your breath while swimming, you exhale as you swim. That would be my place to get started for you today. Go to the pool one day try it out a little and then check back in with your findings. And we'll go further.

2011-01-12 12:31 PM

User image

Arnold, MD
Roy,

I would like to join / fill out the group.

Name: Vin Hardick

STORY: Got into this sport because I needed to get back into shape, loose a little bit of weight. I had previously tried working out at the gym and running a few 5K's but lost motivation. After I trained and competed in my first Sprint Tri I was hooked.

Family Status: Married 6yrs, 1 daughter (just about 3)

Current Taining: Been building base, finished up a fall Masters Swim Program (Triathlon Focused), currently focused on run training for my first 1/2 mary in March... winter / spring Tri Masters Swim Program starts in a couple of weeks, not doing much bike training except for spin class maybe once a week.

2010 Races: 4 Sprint Tri's - 1st ever sprint was June 2010 (Assateague Assault Triathlon)

2011 Races: 2 Oly (1 in the spring - Columbia Triathlon, 1 in the fall - Nations Triathlon) 1 HIM (A Race - first - HIM Eagleman) and most likely 2 sprints over the summer. I registered for St Anthony's as well but I am going to postpone until next year (schedule issue

Weight Loss: I have lost over 20lbs since October of 2009 training for my sprints, I am currently @ 210 (6 foot) and expect to be under 200 in the next month - (all from training and watching the diet) I will most likely level out right around 195 (my prediction before the HIM)

Looking forward to talking with the group, getting some good tips, and most of all motivation to keep training and get faster.

Edited by vhardick 2011-01-12 6:25 PM
2011-01-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3294466

User image

Thanks for the advice.  Can't wait to get this new bike that is properly fitted

Brian
2011-01-12 7:20 PM

Newark

Dear Roy,

My name is Keevin Galbraith and I would like to join your group. 

I have been competing in Triathlons for two years.  I have completed 4 sprints and 1 Olympic tri. 

I would like to try an Xterra race this summer.  I plan to also compete in 4 or 5 more triathlons or Duathlons this summer. 

Before competing in Tri's I was a Professional Lacrosse Player for eight years. 

I currently teach PE and Health and am in Grad school for Special Education

I have been married for five years and have a two year old daughter. 

I look forward to your help.

Keevin

2011-01-13 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Vin and Keevin welcome to the Tri/Tbay group. Glad you have you with us and the opportunity to share in the coming months.

2011-01-14 9:21 AM

User image

Tri/tbay group,

I found this post about swim techniquies while surfing through BT last night, seems like pretty good advice.

It is a bit lengthy, so I attached a pdf version.

Experienced swimmers, does this seem like sound advice?  Feedback?

Brian

Attachments
----------------
BFD 10 points to swimming.pdf (98KB - 22 downloads)
2011-01-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3299222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Brian,  good to see your checking out the available resources. I've read through this before, I would say he's pretty right on in most cases. The reference Total Immersion TI gets alot of chatter both pro and con, it uses a bit of a different strategy than what is conventional. I tend to not go there. But alot of good info in that paper. If what is writtend makes sense to you try to implement some of the techniques and see how it feels. I like the breathing point about where the chin needs to be, alot of people tend to lift instead of rotate to breath. If you lift to breath, then the hips sink creating drag.                            In the beginning he was talking about resistance, water is 1000 times more resistant than air. So you can see quickly it is going to take strength and good form to combat the forces of resistance. And like he mentioned as you gain in ability and ultimately speed you are now running into the water molecules at a greater rate further creating the need to get stronger and have better form. It is said after the initial resistance of 1000 to move through the water, it is then another 4x greater to go faster. This is one of the very important reasons why swimming is so difficult to do well.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-01-14 11:05 AM
2011-01-17 6:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day to you all, thought we better get off of the second page. I hope everyone got in some training this weekend and the weather where you are was cooperative. I was at a swim meet over the weekend, a small meet for our area so I still had time to get my workouts that were scheduled. Got in a swim on Sat. afternoon, working on what we went over at the swim camp. Really focusing on making those positional changes, not big adjustments and sometimes these are the hardest kind to make. And yesterday was the official first day of St. Anthony's training. I have set a plan using the BT format and will utilize it through race day. I have used a plan in the past for my 70.3s that I thought I could match the closest. This one I selected the days so we'll see how I fair.

Hope to hear from you all this week let me know how it is going.

2011-01-17 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Hi Roy I would also like to join your Beginner Tri Mentor Program. NAME: cup06champs / Brett (I go by my nickname Chick)Location: Raleigh, NCSTORY: I am 37 years old and have been a runner since 2008. Most of my races have been half marathons and in 2010 i ran my first marathon at Disney. I have been wanting to get into the triathlon world after seeing a friend finish Iroman Louisville last year. I purchased a road bike last October.FAMILY STATUS: Married (14 years) with two children (both girls 7 and 2).Current Training: Currently I am training for my first triathlon in April. 2011 Races: I am registered for the NHL All-Star 5K (1/29), Krispy Kreme Challenge (2/5), Tobacco Road Half Marathon (3/20) and the Granite Falls Sprint Triathlon (4/9).Weight Loss: I am a tall athlete at 6'-4" weighing 209. That puts me in the Clydesdale division.I hope it is alright to join the group being up in NC since it seems like a lot are in FL.I also have a blog that I would love to have everyone follow. I write about my activities, life and hockey. Huge hockey fan (specifically the Carolina Hurricanes).My blog is www.runningcaniac.blogspot.comThanks,Chick

2011-01-17 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Sorry about the formatting on my previous post. The spaces and line breaks were there. I am not sure what happened.
2011-01-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3303944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Brett Welcome to the group. Looks like you have good schedule ahead of you. And no doubt watching IMK that is was an inspiration. It's a great sport to be apart of. I'll try to help you in anyway I can to get to that start line this spring.

2011-01-17 11:38 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Hi All -

I ran 8 miles with my 1/2 Marathon training group on Saturday and then did a 2000 yard swim on Sunday. 8 miles is my longest run that I can remember. I stopped for 2 water breaks one going up the route, and then the same one on the way back, and then I stopped and walked another 3 separate times for a minute or two. I wanted to take it easy with the running so that I could walk on Sunday. Next Saturday's long run is another 8 miles, then the next week is 10, then 10 the following. (shorter / different run workouts accompany the long Saturday group runs...)  

My legs and quads are killing me. I stretched before and after the run, and then kept stretching on Saturday and Sunday..... Any advice on dealing with this pain. (I am not doing an ice bath...., advil helps a little, I am hoping someone has a secret that they are going to share that magically takes away this pain)

- Vin

2011-01-17 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
I had a pretty production weekend myself. I got in 6.5 miles, that I am working on a 1/2 Marathon plan for Gasparilla. I will be focusing on running and riding the next 2 months. I will be back on the bike training this week riding out of Lakemonte here in Winter Park, pretty good riding group if building speed is your goal. Mainly Cyclists, but lots of CAT 3 and up racers that keep the 40 or 56 mile pace rather high. Since I have been off the bike for the past month or 2 I expect to be dropped the next couple of weeks before I can hang on again!

Roy, I know you said you had went to Sarah Mclarty's swim clinic, and was considering it myself in February. What are your thoughts on the experience if you do not mind me asking?

Hope you all have a great training week!

C
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17