2011-01-17 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3304275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay Group OPEN

vhardick - 2011-01-17 12:38 PM

Hi All -

I ran 8 miles with my 1/2 Marathon training group on Saturday and then did a 2000 yard swim on Sunday. 8 miles is my longest run that I can remember. I stopped for 2 water breaks one going up the route, and then the same one on the way back, and then I stopped and walked another 3 separate times for a minute or two. I wanted to take it easy with the running so that I could walk on Sunday. Next Saturday's long run is another 8 miles, then the next week is 10, then 10 the following. (shorter / different run workouts accompany the long Saturday group runs...)  

My legs and quads are killing me. I stretched before and after the run, and then kept stretching on Saturday and Sunday..... Any advice on dealing with this pain. (I am not doing an ice bath...., advil helps a little, I am hoping someone has a secret that they are going to share that magically takes away this pain)

- Vin

Good to hear from you Vin, and congrats on making the 8 mile run. If your experiencing some issues with your legs that is to be expected up to a point. If after the 8 mile run you find it is difficult to even walk then probably better back off a bit and get  some of that knotted up muscle tissue worked out. Outside of going for deep tissue massages, my best friends are a tennis ball ( glutes, hip flexors) Foam Roller ( quads, calves, hamstrings, IT band) and a rolling pin just like mom used (calves, quads) I love the rolling pin you can really get some good relief using it and you'll find all of the sore spots that have developed with all of these. Now you can get a trigger point system pay a lot of money and you'll do the same with it as with the items I mentioned. Stretching will help, but you really need to get those areas located and work them over. It will hurt!!!!!!(insert smiley)

Don't be concerned about your little water stops etc. as long as these are not extended periods of time you won't loose any of the benefit of the workout. But try to limit the stops the best you can.

Hope this helps, get those areas feeling better and going the distance will be no problem.

2011-01-17 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Corey, I had a good time, learned plenty and would recommend it. I was only able to do one day Sat. but can't imagine you would be dissapointed. There are breaks each day for several hours, plenty of time to get a ride or run in during that time. She had Misty do a nice job tag teaming the camp, Sarah is training right now so she'll dissapear for a few hours, or at least she did on the Sat. that I was there.

2011-01-18 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3303750

User image

Hi group,

This week is a recovery week for me. I am going to cut back my times by ~30%.  My offical training plan starts next Monday.

Roy and Cory,

I bought a Specialized Allez comp on Saturday from a local bike shop. They did do an in-depth sizing. Unfortunately I was only able to give it about 1/2hr spin during the test ride and about 15min on the my trainer before life happened on saturday and sunday. However, i am encouraged that I did not experience the knee pain from last week.  Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get it out for a real road training session.

Brian 

2011-01-18 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Ok I went to the Tri Boot Camp at the YMCA here in St. Pete over the weekend. It was really informative and I learned alot. The most intimidating part of the Tri for me is the swim as it will be off Daytona Beach. During the boot camp swim part the instructor said that I kick with my knees and I need to kick with my hips. She also said I should get some short fins to help with that. Today I went to the Y and swam 36 laps in an hour switching from freestyle to breaststroke to back. I need to work on my breathing as they also told me I need to learn how to bilateral breathe. Whew! I have alot to work on. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated. Thanks Courtney

2011-01-19 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3307614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Brian and Courtney, good to hear from you. Awesome purchase Brian I like specialized bikes this one will serve you well. Obviously there are some limitations using a road bike vs. a Triathlon specific bike but you'll be fine using this bike. Have fun with it and let us know how your first open road ride felt. I'm glad that you didn't feel any knee pain when you got fitted, and I wouldn't expect it to surface on the road. Do you use clippless pedals? And what color is the bike? 

I'm getting a new bike this weekend myself. I'll report on that after I actually own it.

Courtney, glad you had a good experience at the Boot Camp. I'm sure you got some good starting information and maybe feel a little bit more prepared. An east coast swim can certainly be a challenge when compared to a west coast swim here in Fl. at times. As for the advise to get fins, yes to the fins but I'm not certain as to what she meant by short fins. If the instructor meant zoomers or the finis model then I'm not sure I'd recommend that. If your just getting started they can be hard to use even for a swimmer. But I would recommend a rubber swim fin, you can order them or get them at a Sports Authority, just make sure to not get a dive fin.

Kicking for triathlon is important in some aspects but you certainly don't have to have a world championship kick. You just need some kick action to help with balance and body position in the water. Don't stress over it. The kick is with the entire leg starting with the hips and glutes. A little knee bend will happen but not much of one. As to bilateral breathing, once again it is not essential, helpful certainly if you can aquire the skill. I'm a one side breather. You most likely have a dominant side or a side that is more comfortable. If so swim that way, maybe spend some time working on bilatera but it's OK to breath to one side. We teach our young swimmers to bilateral so as to become a more balance swimmer and not create an imbalance in strength one side vs. the other.

2011-01-19 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

Morning Roy, if the group is still open I would love to join

My name is Yuset Cueto, I’m 30 year old male  and reside in Miami, fl.  I recently received the all clear to start training again.  For the last 4 years I have been struggling with an arm injury (broken humorous that required reconstructive surgery for the fracture and tendons) and my training has had to stopped multiple times for different complications

My training will resume this week with no specific race in mind.  My approach is to start building my base again and see how I feel in a couple of months before making race plans.

Would be great to join in this journey with all of you because I’m sure there will be moments when a little push and encouragement will be needed.

Thanks in advance to all and happy hump day.

Yuset

2011-01-19 9:02 AM

User image

Arnold, MD
Courtney,

Sounds like you had a good boot camp at the Y.... wish they had something similar up here in MD. For the breathing / bilateral breathing... I have been working on mine as well. When I swim I usually do a warm up of anywhere between 500 and 1000 yards... then into a main set followed by speed work or drills to finish it off.

I try to stick with the bilateral breathing during my warm up and concentrate on swimming easy / relaxed and not get to tired. Its tricky to try and focus on a bunch of things at one time when you are swimming but I find during my warm up is the best time because I am not trying to focus on making my interval times.

I normally breath to my right hand side when swimming, one problem that I was having when I was breathing to my left was that I felt like I would lose speed or sink a little when trying to breath to the left. It turns out that when I was going to the left, my right arm was digging or I was dropping my right arm to try and compensate for the left breath. See if this is something that you are doing when you go to your weak side. Try to extend / reach that other arm foward just as you probably do when you are breathing to your comfortable side (dont drop the arm). By doing this, it will help keep you from sinking and maintain your speed through the breath to the weak side.

Also, try not to roll your whole body towards the sky when breathing to the weak side. See if you can compare how far your roll to your stong side and try to replicate that on the weak side.

I find that the more and more I force myself to work on this, the more my body / stroke gets comfortable with it. Like Roy said, you can breath to one side during your tri swim, but if its something you want to work on you can make it happen with practice. Good Luck.

- Vin
2011-01-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3308098

User image

tri/tbay - 2011-01-19 7:07 AM

Brian and Courtney, good to hear from you. Awesome purchase Brian I like specialized bikes this one will serve you well. Obviously there are some limitations using a road bike vs. a Triathlon specific bike but you'll be fine using this bike. Have fun with it and let us know how your first open road ride felt. I'm glad that you didn't feel any knee pain when you got fitted, and I wouldn't expect it to surface on the road. Do you use clippless pedals? And what color is the bike? 

I'm getting a new bike this weekend myself. I'll report on that after I actually own it.

Courtney, glad you had a good experience at the Boot Camp. I'm sure you got some good starting information and maybe feel a little bit more prepared. An east coast swim can certainly be a challenge when compared to a west coast swim here in Fl. at times. As for the advise to get fins, yes to the fins but I'm not certain as to what she meant by short fins. If the instructor meant zoomers or the finis model then I'm not sure I'd recommend that. If your just getting started they can be hard to use even for a swimmer. But I would recommend a rubber swim fin, you can order them or get them at a Sports Authority, just make sure to not get a dive fin.

Kicking for triathlon is important in some aspects but you certainly don't have to have a world championship kick. You just need some kick action to help with balance and body position in the water. Don't stress over it. The kick is with the entire leg starting with the hips and glutes. A little knee bend will happen but not much of one. As to bilateral breathing, once again it is not essential, helpful certainly if you can aquire the skill. I'm a one side breather. You most likely have a dominant side or a side that is more comfortable. If so swim that way, maybe spend some time working on bilatera but it's OK to breath to one side. We teach our young swimmers to bilateral so as to become a more balance swimmer and not create an imbalance in strength one side vs. the other.

Roy,

I am just using the stock pedals for the time being, but plan to get pedals and shoes next month.  The bike is black with red lettering. 

Training:  Good swim yesterday afternoon ( wu-200s, 100k, 100pull; wo-4x200 w/20"rest; cd-3x50drills, 200s)
trainer ride this morning (41min), weights and core.

Happy Training everyone,

Brian
2011-01-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3308130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Cuetoy - 2011-01-19 8:28 AM

Morning Roy, if the group is still open I would love to join

My name is Yuset Cueto, I’m 30 year old male  and reside in Miami, fl.  I recently received the all clear to start training again.  For the last 4 years I have been struggling with an arm injury (broken humorous that required reconstructive surgery for the fracture and tendons) and my training has had to stopped multiple times for different complications

My training will resume this week with no specific race in mind.  My approach is to start building my base again and see how I feel in a couple of months before making race plans.

Would be great to join in this journey with all of you because I’m sure there will be moments when a little push and encouragement will be needed.

Thanks in advance to all and happy hump day.

Yuset

Good Day Yuset, look forward to having you along with us. Glad that you've been able to rehab your injury and can resume training. Looks like you have a realisitic approach for now, probably a good idea until you can get some consitent training in.

Welcome

2011-01-19 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey gang I'm about to close our group for this spring. I need to check and see if everyone is still with us, so if your reading this and I havn't heard from you check in or PM me so I know how many we have. I'm looking forward to assisting you all and as we get a little closer to spring and weather is consitant for outdoor training I'm sure our topics of discussion will get very good and more in depth. We've already started with some good thoughts so keep em coming.

Have a great day.

2011-01-19 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Hey guys! Just checking in. Roy, I sent a PM as well. Looking forward to all of the advice leading up to my first sprint Tri in April. This week I started with my swim workouts. First time swimming like that in many years. Monday was day 1 and it was tough but overall I know it was good. Spent the time getting re-acclimated to swimming. The stamina is not there but I know in time it will improve. I ended up with 14 laps in 30 minutes. Combination of free, breast and backstrokes.This morning was day 2 and I could tell a difference. I was able to complete 20 laps in 30 minutes. Spent more time working on freestyle technique and breathing. I felt good overall.

2011-01-19 12:02 PM

User image

New user

Hey guys! Can I still join the group before it closes?  This group seems to be a good fit for me and I would love to soak up all the info I can from other tri-athletes...  Let me know if ya'll (yes I'm a southern girl) are still open and I'll post some bio info!  Thanks for the consideration!!

Lindsay
2011-01-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3309013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

sctrichick - 2011-01-19 1:02 PM Hey guys! Can I still join the group before it closes?  This group seems to be a good fit for me and I would love to soak up all the info I can from other tri-athletes...  Let me know if ya'll (yes I'm a southern girl) are still open and I'll post some bio info!  Thanks for the consideration!!

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay, jump aboard you may be the last one in. Welcome

2011-01-19 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Hey guys.. meant to join up a few weeks ago but got sidetracked.  If there is room I'd like to join in....

NAME: Sean Dotson

STORY: Was into tris in HS and college, then took about 15 years off   Got back into them about 3-4 years ago and have been doing sprints and Olys mainly.  Attempted my first HIM in October but got hit by a truck and woke up in an ambulance.  Have just about recovered and am currently training for IMCdA along with my wife.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 9 year old son, 2 year old daughter

Current Training: Using BeIronFit Ironman training plan.  Tough enough to have one person training for an IM in a household.  Really tough with two people.

Races: 2010 was a year of injuries.  Herniated disk.  Fixed.  Then had knee surgery in Feb.  Had to bail on most of my season.  Got back into shape towards the end for the HIM and then the car accident.  201 HAS to be better....

2011 Races: A century ride in Sarasota in March, a sprint in Lakeland in April, St Ant's in St Pete in May, IMCdA in Idaho in June.  Might throw in another sprint somewhere.

Weight Loss: Have been trying to shed this last 10-15 lbs for a while now.  Have to admit I'm not trying as hard as I cold.  Beer is too tasty.  I hover around 210-212 most of the time (I am 6'4" so it fit my frame) but I'd love to see myself under 200 by IMCdA

So tri/tbay... are you a member of the Landsharks?
2011-01-19 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Sean, come on. You'll be the official last one of the group. I've seen your posts before on various topics and yes I'm a Landshark. Thanks for asking in. Where did you get hit, was it at Amelia Island? Glad your OK and abe to continue your quest.

2011-01-19 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
Yeah Ameilia Man.  I was coming over a bridge at mile 50ish and a truck passed me.  He then immediately noticed there was a water stop ahead and salmmed on the brakes.  I was in aero and never had a chance to go for the brakes.  I hit the back of the truck going about 24mph.  Woke up in the ambulance.

You might know my father, Randy.  He lives in Lakeland and is a Landshark as well.

You doing the Child of the Sun sprint in April?  If so we'll have to meet up.

2011-01-20 9:11 AM

User image

New user

NAME and BIO: Lindsay Woods, 27yrs old... I am very motivated and enthusiast about staying healthy and active.  This will be my 2nd season of triathlons.  I've always been athletic, but never participated in anything more than a 5k until last year.  Like most of us, I got hooked!

2010: I used Tom Holland's 12wk Triathlete guide and trained for my first sprint triathlon at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC. I did much better than I ever expected and I am looking forward to doing most of the tri series in Charleston this summer.  I also completed my first half marathon at Kiawah in December.

2011 Races: Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville, Cooper River Bridge Run 10K, Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon in VA, and the JI Sprint Triathlon series in Charleston (5 races over the summer)... If possible, I would love to complete my first Olympic distance this year - but improving my swim will be the determining factor.

Weight Loss: I've lost about 25lbs through training last year and am continuing to work hard to keep it off. That was a substantial amount for me, seeing that I am just under 5' tall (or short if you will) Laughing

Weak link:  Swimming!!! I love biking and running, but the swim kicks my butt. I've been reading info on total immersion and smoothswim, and now I need to work on putting this info into action. I learned to swim as a kid for survival, but have never swam for technique or efficency. Last season I hired a coach for a few sessions, but work didn't lend to a very flexible schedule to keep it up.  Also, I've found that swimming brings out anxiety and fear in me, which I have never encounter in another sport - and which I am determined to overcome!  Truthfully, I have rarely been in the pool since my sprint tri last summer.. but want to get my game face on so I am ready this season.  Even when I feel like I start to get the technique, the endurance is just completely lacking.  Anyway - there is my soap box on swimming!

I am looking forward to being a mentee in this group and learning all I can from the info everyone has to offer!

BTW - I'm new to BT.. is there a way to jump to this thread without having to search for it each time... such as marking it or making it a favorite?  Also, I'm working on getting my training log up too.  Thanks for the help!

2011-01-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3310765

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
sctrichick - 2011-01-20 10:11 AM

BTW - I'm new to BT.. is there a way to jump to this thread without having to search for it each time... such as marking it or making it a favorite?  Also, I'm working on getting my training log up too.  Thanks for the help!

Hi Lindsay... I keep this link bookmarked.  It's all the threads I've posted in (in your case, you have posted in) in the last two weeks...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/search/query.asp?fid=0&action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=&mode=1&subjects=1&messages=1&author=sctrichick&collapsethreads=1&datemode=1&days=14&custom-start=&custom-end=

Anyone can use this just place your username in bold section...
2011-01-20 9:55 AM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Hey any of you know of a good way to measure body fat?  I have one of those Taylor scales, and I can select normal or athlete mode, but how do I know if I'm an athlete???? based on what standards?  If I use it under normal mode it saids 16% body fat, but if I do it on athlete is 8%, so is there any reliable caliper or so? the issue is that I lost almost 60 lbs since last July and so I do have some loose skin, and not sure if the calipers will read that as fat instead of skin?  So any suggestions?  I would like to be as fit as possible for training.

Thanks
2011-01-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3310034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

TriRSquared - 2011-01-19 9:14 PM Yeah Ameilia Man.  I was coming over a bridge at mile 50ish and a truck passed me.  He then immediately noticed there was a water stop ahead and salmmed on the brakes.  I was in aero and never had a chance to go for the brakes.  I hit the back of the truck going about 24mph.  Woke up in the ambulance.

You might know my father, Randy.  He lives in Lakeland and is a Landshark as well.

You doing the Child of the Sun sprint in April?  If so we'll have to meet up.

Amazingly small world sometimes. I've met your dad might see him tonight at a Landshark meeting. Might not compete at the COS but will be there in some capacity most likely.

2011-01-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3310765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

sctrichick - 2011-01-20 10:11 AM

NAME and BIO: Lindsay Woods, 27yrs old... I am very motivated and enthusiast about staying healthy and active.  This will be my 2nd season of triathlons.  I've always been athletic, but never participated in anything more than a 5k until last year.  Like most of us, I got hooked!

2010: I used Tom Holland's 12wk Triathlete guide and trained for my first sprint triathlon at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC. I did much better than I ever expected and I am looking forward to doing most of the tri series in Charleston this summer.  I also completed my first half marathon at Kiawah in December.

2011 Races: Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville, Cooper River Bridge Run 10K, Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon in VA, and the JI Sprint Triathlon series in Charleston (5 races over the summer)... If possible, I would love to complete my first Olympic distance this year - but improving my swim will be the determining factor.

Weight Loss: I've lost about 25lbs through training last year and am continuing to work hard to keep it off. That was a substantial amount for me, seeing that I am just under 5' tall (or short if you will) Laughing

Weak link:  Swimming!!! I love biking and running, but the swim kicks my butt. I've been reading info on total immersion and smoothswim, and now I need to work on putting this info into action. I learned to swim as a kid for survival, but have never swam for technique or efficency. Last season I hired a coach for a few sessions, but work didn't lend to a very flexible schedule to keep it up.  Also, I've found that swimming brings out anxiety and fear in me, which I have never encounter in another sport - and which I am determined to overcome!  Truthfully, I have rarely been in the pool since my sprint tri last summer.. but want to get my game face on so I am ready this season.  Even when I feel like I start to get the technique, the endurance is just completely lacking.  Anyway - there is my soap box on swimming!

I am looking forward to being a mentee in this group and learning all I can from the info everyone has to offer!

[/QUOTE

Lindsey thanks for the BIO, swimming is tough enough to do let alone trying to envision or learn from books dvds etc. I highlighted something you said because I see this alot from beginner triathletes competing for the first time or season. You can see it in there faces at an event. It is something I try to work on with those that I help. Confidence in your swimming ability no matter at what level sure makes for a much better day. Thats what these groups are for to help you get there in a better way.

2011-01-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3310906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Mauricio I don't have any direct experience with body fat calculations. I've have wondered about the scales and there accuracy. You might check and see if there are any screenings in your area that you might go to and have it done. The calipers are pretty universally used but there is always debate about there accuracy as well. Someone might chime in with some experience in this area. Outside of going to a sports lab and having a full analysis which is going to be the most accurate. But congrats on your weight loss, how close are you to your goal weight?

2011-01-20 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3310906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
snakemau - 2011-01-20 10:55 AM Hey any of you know of a good way to measure body fat?  I have one of those Taylor scales, and I can select normal or athlete mode, but how do I know if I'm an athlete???? based on what standards?  If I use it under normal mode it saids 16% body fat, but if I do it on athlete is 8%, so is there any reliable caliper or so? the issue is that I lost almost 60 lbs since last July and so I do have some loose skin, and not sure if the calipers will read that as fat instead of skin?  So any suggestions?  I would like to be as fit as possible for training.

Thanks

Mauricio,

The body scales are not very accurate, but in your case i dont think it needs to be.  If you only want to track your progress just do the test 5 times in a row, get the average, and write it down.  A month down the line you can do the same, and compare, and even if the numbers are not accurate you will be able to judge your progress.

If you want really acurrate results not of tos scales or calipers will do it.... The two tests that i would recomend that are not expensive would be the Bod Pod and Hydrodensitometry Test, they both cost between 40 and 75 dollars and are extremely accurate.....Just google both terms and you will be able to get more detailed information and find out if there is anyone offering it in your area.....Hope this helps...
2011-01-20 11:15 PM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Well I need to recalculate my weight goal.  Before I was aiming for 154 so I can be at the border of "normal" weight for the estimated BMI for my height  of 66". But then I need to find a good lab so I can get an assessment, cause honestly i have no clue what my ideal weight should be in order to be fit and be able to train and do triathlon. Any suggestions?

Oh and thanks for the info about the hydro test. The nearest center is a bit far away for me but if I have to drive 3 hours to get there I will do it! 
2011-01-21 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3312650

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
snakemau - 2011-01-21 12:15 AM Well I need to recalculate my weight goal.  Before I was aiming for 154 so I can be at the border of "normal" weight for the estimated BMI for my height  of 66". But then I need to find a good lab so I can get an assessment, cause honestly i have no clue what my ideal weight should be in order to be fit and be able to train and do triathlon. Any suggestions?

Oh and thanks for the info about the hydro test. The nearest center is a bit far away for me but if I have to drive 3 hours to get there I will do it! 

My advice is to not gt hung up on what your "ideal" weight is.  Get out there and train, even if overweight.  In fact there is a good percentage of people who train on BT who are above their "ideal" weight.

Training will be an aid in helping you to lose weight to hit that ideal number.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17