General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
Total Time = 3h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my first Triathlon outside of my area,I wasn't able to get my regular breakfast meal of oatmeal & coffee. Instead, I had a left over breakfast burrito, juice & gatorade. Got up @ 4:30am and ate, picked my stuff up and was off to Lake Mead @ 5:15am. The transition opened at 0530, I got my stuff organized and used the facilities. At 6:20 I was ready to go. But my wave didn't start till 8:05, so went back to the car and waited, watched the long distance & sprint distance start and cheered for some of my fellow tri-members. I did a final check at transition, since you had to pact your stuff before leaving T1, and I wanted to make sure I didn't have any extra stuff to pack. Went back to the car, put wet suit on and off to the beach.
Event warmup:

I got in the water right after the wave before us took off to see how cold the water was. They said it was 66 degree, but it felt alot warmer.
Swim
  • 23m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the front away from the bouy and hoped I wouldn't get run over. Never did happen. I told myself to take it easy and not go out to fast. I kept a good pace the whole way. I found couple of feet to follow on the way out and back. On the last turn I drafted someone that brought me into the shore. That was nice. I was planning to swim, kick, crawl all the way to the beach. I was expected to be stepping on rock coming on the shore. But the there wasn't any where we exited on the beach (at the start area there were tons of rocks/coral all over the place and in fact I cut my feet on one. Good thing the ranger kept the alligators & sharks on the other side of the lake :) or else they would be after my feet). Got out of the water and I felt good!!
What would you do differently?:

Train more and get faster. Maybe one of these races get in the water earlier and swim a couple a hundred yards to warm up.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

This is one long and narrow transition. The long distance races were placed on the front, oly were in the middle & the sprint racers were at the back of the transition exit. I don't know if this was good or bad. Since we started last, most of the bikes had left and the volunteers started to take down the racks. They did a good job of staying out of the way. It sucked that we had to pack a lot of stuff, but it was cool to have everything at the finish line.

Try not to stress out so much about having to have everything with me. Make a list.
Bike
  • 2h 00m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 12.40 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got on the bike is was up hill the whole way. Some old timer that had done the race many times told me to save yourself for the last push at the end and he wasn't kidding. Being a big clydesdale, I suck on the hills and my time showed it. The roller helped alittle, but not alot. After the turnaround where we headed back to Boulder s
City, it felt like I was fighting the hills and the headwind as well. I got to the trail and it gave me a little rest to coast, but not for long. I got to the switch back and there was a big sign. SLOW DOWN!!! I had to laugh at that one as I wasn't even moving fast enough to slow down. I got to the canal wash and my rear end had had enough (it never hurt with a little of mileage, but it didn't help that I did a century ride the weekend before.) Then I was onto the last push on the hill. I put my head down and just pedaled. After half way up, I could tell someone was about to pass me since he was breathing heavily and very loud. It was the old timer that told me about saving my legs for the last push. He went flying passed me. He did tell me that as a big guy, I needed to breath out more? I got to the top and I was done.

Nothing. But put in more training on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time is part of the bike time. So my bike time was under 2 hours! Wohoo!!!!!!

I felt I had a fast transition. I beat a couple of racers out of transition that were in before me.
Run
  • 1h 10m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was most worried about the last half of the run as it was all up hill. I started the run feeling pretty good (my garmin showed I was holding around a 11 minute/mile pace. About mile one, I could hear someone coming up behind me. He was breathing heavy and loud. It was the old timer. As he was passing me, he told me that I needed to breath out more to get the bad oxygen out of my body. I started to copy how he was breathing and I felt good doing it and actually was able to hold my pace better and longer. Before long, I was at the turn around point and I knew I was going to finish. About mile 4, I crossed paths with a couple of my tri club members and they were doing the long distance race. I picked up the pace as I didn't want them to lap me. I kept my new breathing pattern, and before I knew it I was at mile 6. I finished strong.

There were 5 total aid stations (this race also has a long distance race as well). and I walked to each one. I need to learn to run through the aid station instead of walking and maybe start carring two gel packs or a fuel belt. But my nutrition was perfect. I ate my one and only gel at mile 2 and I was good to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, bottle water, & some oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is my second oly distance event and first full season. Overall, I have made some great achievements this year. I feel I can do the sprint & oly distance, but I need to work on my bike & run. I should work on my diet as well, but "I do tri, so I can eat whatever I want."

Event comments:

This is a great race and well organized event. The finisher medal is a keeper. The t-shirt is ok. Great lunch for the racers, and some nice raffles (didn't win any). This race will be on the top of my list to do next season!!! I need to beat that hill.

Last updated: 2010-10-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A triangle swim, but to me was more like an out and back. There were some places where you were swimming right into an oncoming swimmer. So....you could actually have turned around (cheated) to shorten your swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:00:15 | 24.85 miles | 12.40 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 24 miles of roller & hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:43 | 06.21 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Course: out going down hill and back coming up hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-27 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course

2010-12-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3262687

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great job on your race!
2011-04-29 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3262687

User image

New user

Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great report! I am thinking about doing the Pumpkin Man Olympic this year. I have only done sprint and this would be my first Olympic. Thanks for the insight to the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed