General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in snow and ice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-27 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Citrus Springs, Florida
Subject: Racing in snow and ice
I am new to Michigan (transplant from California via of Florida), so I am just getting used to this cold weather and snowy/icy conditions.  I am running my first race up here on New Year's day (Sgt Preston in Muskegon). I have been training outside with Yak Traks once or twice a week (in addition to the indoor treadmill running) and tried screw shoes today.  Both of these seem to work well, but I have not really been trying to run fast.  Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of racing in snow and ice?

2010-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3263091

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Racing in snow and ice
I don't think there's anything that will save you from slipping on ice when running hard, certainly not Yak Trax, as I've used them extensively for running outside these past two winters. Pay attention to your footing and tread lightly on the icy spots I guess. Haven't tried the screw shoes though.

What I have found with Yak Trax is that using a shorter stride with quicker turnover, in addition to trying to land more on your forefoot, helps to run both uphill and downhill on snow covered trails. Not only is the most effective part of your yak trax coil located here, but you'll shuck off the caked up snow better if you avoid a heavy heel strike. And if you do slip on an icy patch, you're more likely to be able to save yourself from a nasty spill if your legs aren't so distanced from one another. Enjoy the race!
2010-12-27 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I am planning to run that race as well...I think we are going to luck out and you will not have to worry about it this weekend.  It is supposed to be in the mid-40s and rain and everything will be pretty well melted by race day.  Not sure if you are doing the 5K or 6 mile but the only real dicey spot can be the block house hill on the 6 mile route..descending that in the ice and snow is tough.

But as mentioned above..shorten your stride and try to land more mid foot to fore foot.  I run outside all year around without any yak traks or screws and just shortening the stride has been manageable for me.

Ryan

2010-12-27 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Citrus Springs, Florida
Thank you both for the replies. I am lucky in that I am a midfoot/forefoot striker already, so that end of things is taken care of. I had found through trial and error that the shorter quicker strides seem to help, but my legs are still getting used to the changes. I get fatigued in my lower legs on the longer runs.  I am trying to avoid falls at all costs because I am without health insurance right now.

I really wanted to do the 6 mile, but I opted for the 5k because of just what you mentioned -- the hill.  Normally, I would love the longer distance and the additional challenge and scenery, but then I thought "Hey, you've never even raced in the snow and ice and you want to go for the 'challenging' course? Are you nuts?" And for once, I actually listened to the little voice and entered the 5k. 

Good luck in the race, Ryan.  

2010-12-28 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Kahtoola Microspikes are the best thing I have found for trail running in the Winter. They bridge the gap between yax trax and snowshoes.
2010-12-28 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3264051

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
paragon - 2010-12-28 9:24 AM

Kahtoola Microspikes are the best thing I have found for trail running in the Winter. They bridge the gap between yax trax and snowshoes.

Those Microspikes look very grippy. How heavy are they compared to YakTrax? And how well do they respond to deeper snow versus hardpacked snow?

2010-12-31 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3263199

User image

Regular
Citrus Springs, Florida
Ryan,
I picked up my packet today and then drove the course. The blockhouse hill is pretty much good pavement and ice free. The 5k course and that part of the 6 mile course has large puddles and a few icy lumps, but should be very good footing if we stay in the middle of the road.  I am not sure where you live. You may already know all this, but just wanted to give you a heads-up in case.  Good luck tomorrow.
2011-01-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3270209

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

wyldrunner - 2010-12-31 5:10 PM Ryan,
I picked up my packet today and then drove the course. The blockhouse hill is pretty much good pavement and ice free. The 5k course and that part of the 6 mile course has large puddles and a few icy lumps, but should be very good footing if we stay in the middle of the road.  I am not sure where you live. You may already know all this, but just wanted to give you a heads-up in case.  Good luck tomorrow.

I did not see this until after the race but thanks for the heads up.  I grew up over there in North Muskegon but live in Norton Shores now.  I figured everything would be thawed out with the warm temps.  It sure was a bit cold and windy today though.  After the blockhouse hill it opens up to Lake Michigan and i just about got blown over by the wind.   I really liked the race though..lots of fun even though I may have overserved myself a bit last night .  Hope you did well.

2011-01-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3271121

User image

Regular
Citrus Springs, Florida
Ryan,
I wanted to try to find you at the race to thank you, but I ended up spending all my free time in the car trying to stay warm.  You may have seen me, though, as we were parked in the handicapped spot right there by the path down to the building.  I can't imagine what it must have been like out there where the road opened up. Heck the waves were like 6 ft out on the lake and whitecaps everywhere.   You definitely have my respect! 

I did okay, but I really was not prepared for this to be a fast-paced race.  I have not done any type of speed workout, just LTs, since last April.   I just had no ability to accelerate.  You know how can reach for that extra gear?  I don't have one.  It was depressing, but now I have a base line and something to build on. 

I hope to see you around at the races. I go for all the weird, off-beat ones.  BTW. If you look at the results. I am Lori in the 45-49 group.
2011-01-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3264520

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
yeats - 2010-12-28 1:08 PM

Those Microspikes look very grippy. How heavy are they compared to YakTrax? And how well do they respond to deeper snow versus hardpacked snow?

They are a little heavier then Yax Trax, but not bad. I've worn them on long runs with no more noticeable fatigue than normal. They work MUCH better than a naked shoe in deep snow, and they don't load up like my Yax do. Where they truly shine is on a packed down trail, and are a godsend when you get that sheen of ice, or greasy snow cover. They are too aggressive for asphalt, unless you have a good layer of packed snow, and they also do not work well in a light dusting of snow on a trail covered with leaves, as they pack up with leaves.
2011-01-04 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3277252

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
paragon - 2011-01-04 2:50 PM

yeats - 2010-12-28 1:08 PM

They are a little heavier then Yax Trax, but not bad. I've worn them on long runs with no more noticeable fatigue than normal. They work MUCH better than a naked shoe in deep snow, and they don't load up like my Yax do. Where they truly shine is on a packed down trail, and are a godsend when you get that sheen of ice, or greasy snow cover. They are too aggressive for asphalt, unless you have a good layer of packed snow, and they also do not work well in a light dusting of snow on a trail covered with leaves, as they pack up with leaves.

Thanks for the details, they sound like a great complement to yaktrax for the icier and the deeper conditions.

2011-01-04 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
I mostly trail run. If I had to pick one, I'd give up my snowshoes and Yax, and keep the microspikes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in snow and ice Rss Feed