BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-02-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - FULL!
I'm assuming everyone is still feeling pretty crap-tastic or digging out of the snow since it's been so quiet around here!!

I got a "snow day" yesterday, and made the most of it.  (Esp since I will have to put some extra hours in at the office on Saturday to make up for it!)  I did a bunch of house projects, cleaning, etc and even got my bike trainer ride in.  I'm still trying to deal with the guilty feeling that I have been overcome with this week since it's my "recovery" week and workouts are easy....I feel like if I back off at all that next week when I move forward its going to be torture.  What is everyone else's experience?

On the plus side I have been very diligent on what I eat this week (partly due to the recovery week and not burning as many calories, and partly because I will allow myself some take out pizza and beers during the Superbowl on Sunday!).  The hubby is Green Bay born and raised and is devastated to have to work on Sunday instead of celebrating with his boys in GB.  As much fun as it would be, I am ultimately ok with staying home instead and not consuming thousands of extra unnecessary calories.

Happy almost Friday everyone!!

2011-02-04 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Yay!! I'm back!

It took longer to shake the cold than I thought it would - I started back with the P90X this week since I couldn't do any aerobic activity cause of the coughing.  So I'm sore this week - before xmas I was doing the "lean" program and I started back with the "classic" this week.  Erg. It feels good to be a little sore tho.

I lost 7lbs with the flu last week - and I've put back on 4 but I'm trying to keep the other 3 off so I've been watching what I eat and getting workouts in as best I can. 

I had my first run on the treadmill on Wed and I'm going to run again tonight.  I'm hoping that I don't have to do my long run on the treadmill this weekend - but it's cold out there and we got quite a bit of snow! *frown*

How's everyone doing today?
2011-02-06 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey everyone!  I am back.  Finally kicked the crud by the end of last week.

Our horrible weather gave me some big time cabin fever tough.  My gym was closed all week as it is the town rec center and closes when the schools do.

Saturday I did 3:20 on the trainer.  It was not mad at all.  Had my laptop with netflix hooked up and watched TV.  Started at 6am so was done by 9:30.

Today I had a long run.  Decided to head outside a I really needed an airing out .  There were a few places in the shade where there was still some slush but the majority was OK.  Just really felt the lack of running in the past week.  Had 1:40.  By 1:20 I was hurting pretty bad.  Plus, it was about that time when the clouds came and the winds picked up.  I started to get really cold and was glad that it was over. 

This week is going to be crazy. We leave Friday for vacation so workouts, getting work cleaned up, packing, haircut, pedicure!  Going to be fun!

2011-02-06 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Had a great week for workouts this week!!!  I got in my long run today by running half with our "Newbie" group and then running home from where we meet.  I'm tired of running in snow tho.  It's making me cranky and I'd like my sidewalks back.  Drivers here are downright idiotic.

Looking forward to another great week! So happy to be healthy!!!
2011-02-07 5:27 PM

User image

New user
Texas
I was feeling guilty for being absent last week. Nothing wrong except being stick in the house because of weather. Today, we seemed to get back on track but after a week of laziness its been hard to motivate myself. Hope you all have a netter week.
2011-02-07 6:53 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Happy Monday Friends!!

Today was a long and headache ridden day at work due to the renovations going on outside my office door!  I powered through, and went to the Y with a plan of doing both my long run & swim and only got to the run.  When I was done the pool was full and I hate sharing lanes when I am trying to work on the drills that I am practicing (from Total Immersion Swimming).  Oh well...have all week to get them in!

The run was not fun by any means, but I got it done!  I can tell you though that I am getting so sick of running on a treadmill...its making my soul hurt.Tongue out  This week is supposed to be another deep freeze with highs not getting much more than 10degrees, but by the weekend it should be back up in the 20-30's and I might try getting at least one run in outside.  I think it would really help my mental health (and knowing how much the pooch loves it!).

Other than that I am actually looking forward to swimming this week.  After feeling like I had a bit of a breakthrough on Saturday I want to keep moving forward!

My goals for the week: to get in all my planned workouts (3 in each swimming/biking/running) & to not gain any weight lost over the week back over the weekend!  What about everyone else??  Any goals?

2011-02-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3342042

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Silver_wlf - 2011-02-06 7:06 PM Had a great week for workouts this week!!!  I got in my long run today by running half with our "Newbie" group and then running home from where we meet.  I'm tired of running in snow tho.  It's making me cranky and I'd like my sidewalks back.  Drivers here are downright idiotic.

Looking forward to another great week! So happy to be healthy!!!

I hear ya on the idiotic drivers!! The hubs was running with the pooch the other day and was basically running in the main lane of traffic thru town (we live in a town of 1,000 people, with speed limits of 25mph everywhere..and the streets are usually pretty quiet)  Anywho, he said most people were really great and would slow down, and then pass him by going on the other side of the road and giving plenty of space...all that is EXCEPT our TOWN COP!  He said that he had to move over into the parking (unplowed) lane on the road or the cop would most likely have hit either him or the dog.  He was busy chatting on his cellphone--what a jackwagon!
2011-02-10 10:54 AM

User image

New user
Texas
Where is everybody? Hope everyone is having a great week of training!

Marie
2011-02-11 7:22 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Ok everybody--where have you all been??  Too busy out there training?? I hope your weeks have gone by nicely and happy Friday to you all!

All I have left for workouts this week are a med bike trainer session (which for me is about half an hour) and a short run (prob 3ish miles) which I will do tomorrow.  The temps are finally rising and will be 20+ and so I plan to run outside, and I am SO excited!!  Anything not to have to go to the Y for a day and run on that soul draining treadmill

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend??

2011-02-12 10:52 AM

User image

New user
Texas
Its warming up here too.  So excited to get out an run.  I saw 6 people running outside on the roads on my way to work this morning... that never happens.  So excited to be out in some nice weather!
2011-02-14 1:26 PM

Well after about a two week hibernation, I think the weather will cooperate enough to get some good workouts in. I had a long run yesterday of 8 miles and that was through half plowed and half slush trail. Its crazy when its 65 outside but still tons of snow. trying to get back in the swing of things, I had greatly lost motivation with two blizzards in a row but I think im ready to roll again. HappyValentines day everyone!

2011-02-14 7:39 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Happy Valentines everyone!!

I rushed home after work so that I could get my run in outside and let me tell you--it was the BEST run I have had in a LONG TIME!  I am not sure if it was the fresh air, running through the country or what...but it was fan-freaking-tastic!! (besides the two big Husky/Malamute dogs that decided they needed to check me out) Temps-wise it was only in the 30's here,(jealous of your 65 Adam!!) but in WI in late winter that is basically a heat wave and I saw people in shorts.  No joke.

Looking to have another great week of workouts.  Last week I got them all in, and was wiped on Saturday.  This week I am going to pay more attention to how I spread them out so that I have a little more energy for the weekend

My goal for the week: to get in all scheduled workouts & give more attention to the dreaded swim.
2011-02-15 4:38 PM

User image

New user
Texas
Really need someone to get my booty in gear and get to the pool.  I've made every excuse in the book not to go.  Even new bathing suits couldn't get me to the pool.... 

Have a great day!
2011-02-16 4:15 AM
in reply to: #3356754

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
mquevedo - 2011-02-15 4:38 PM Really need someone to get my booty in gear and get to the pool.  I've made every excuse in the book not to go.  Even new bathing suits couldn't get me to the pool.... 

Have a great day!

Find me a bike and I'll fly myself down there and drag you to the pool! *laughing*  However - I blew off my swim last night. *sheepish look*

So I'm up now - it's 5:05.  I've had breakfast and I'm drinking my coffee.  I'm going to run with my sister this morning at 6.  But I can't just get up and run - I need to be awake.  So early jump for me today.

I actually got out on my bike on Sunday - only 12k and it was about 3 degrees (C) and my friend just bought a new bike - but it was worth it.
2011-02-16 5:48 PM

User image

New user
Texas
I've got a date with the pool in the morning.  I WILL NOT MISS.

2011-02-16 9:36 PM

illinois
hi all! enjoying a little warm up in temps like you all are. Have been doing pretty good on workouts but......I pulled a bit of a muscle in my side today. I think it must have been from doing flip turns in the pool. I really haven't done flip turns while swimming for many many years but the swim coach for the masters swim class i just got involved in wants us to do them so i have been--i felt the pull the first time i tried it but then it was ok. I must have tweeked it again today--sure is h*** gettn old!!! Anyway i m going to take some aleeve and hope it goes away. I got new running shoes this weekend--what a difference that makes on achy feet--I should have gotten them months ago. My feet still hurt but not nearly as much. Got signed up for the Illinois half marathon in April so I am committed! Hope it helps keep me going on my workouts!!! Hope everyone is doing ok.

Edited by diamond 2011-02-16 9:49 PM

2011-02-18 5:59 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Happy Happy Friday friends!!

As you can see I was a slacker yesterday and didn't get my workout in.  In fact, I have been really good getting my running/biking done (sometimes early in the morning) but the swim has SUNK for the week.  The Y has been jam-packed and I have been full of excuses. Sealed

Got my bike ride in this morning, then going on a run when I get home tonight and one last run tomorrow.  I WILL GET ALL 3 SWIMS in next week--I promise myself!

Hope you all have a fantastic day &weekend!!
2011-02-18 9:13 AM

User image

New user

Well, the snow is finally melted and I am itching to get the bike off the trainer.  A couple of bike questions.  I have a Trek road bike now.  I was thinking about slaping on some aero bars.  My questions for you guys, have any of you ever put aero bars on a road bike and did you get aero shifters?  My main goal is triathlon but I enjoy some long road rides with groups every now and then too.

Other question.  My bike computer died and I am looking for a new one.  I was interested in the Bontrager Node2.  It has speed and cadence.  Any thoughts?   Any recomendations?  Anybody love/hate their computer?

Thanks, and I hope everybody has a great weekend.

2011-02-18 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
RunningHot - if I was going to spend money - I would buy the Garmin 305 with the bike mount/cadence sensor.  That way you have it for running, but you also have a bike computer.  I wouldn't have just a "bike computer" ever again.  SO easy with uploading all the data, switching between sports, etc.

As far as I know you can only have one shifter cable - so you couldn't have shifters on your aerobars and on the hoods - my road bike has aerobars on it and the shifters on the hoods because I need access to the brakes/shifting when I'm riding in a group.  I do ride my tri bike in groups sometimes and not having the shifters easily accessible makes it tougher to shift.  

It's not hard to install them (I've always done my own) just make sure you have the diameter of your road bike bars you want to install them onto as sometimes you need shims to make sure they fit. 

Edited by Silver_wlf 2011-02-18 11:51 AM
2011-02-20 7:35 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
I second the Garmin 305 recommendation.  The Hubs and I bought them for ourselves and they are amazing!!  The only downfall is that I haven't had enough time to figure it out completely and discover all of the cool things it does.
2011-02-23 12:09 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the info.  I actually already have a Garmin 305.  Did you buy some kind of holder for the handle bars.  (I ride so fast Tongue out I can't be looking down at my wrist

2011-02-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3368789

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
RunningHot - 2011-02-23 12:09 PM Thanks for the info.  I actually already have a Garmin 305.  Did you buy some kind of holder for the handle bars.  (I ride so fast Tongue out I can't be looking down at my wrist

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Quick-Release-Kit/dp/B000ONDECY

Plus the velcro wrist band fits WAY better.
2011-02-23 8:04 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
How is everyone doing?  I have had a busy couple of weeks!  Not sure how much you all pay attention to politics/news but Madison has had a prominent spot the last couple of weeks with our Governor's new proposed budget repair bill.  We have had protestors/ralliers at the Capitol (which is basically right across the street from the hotel I work at) for what seems like forever. 

I will not get into my political opinion but I do have to say no matter your thoughts/beliefs/opinions, its pretty cool to see this many people gathering in support of one another and something they believe in.  EVEN if the result is that our hotel staff has been run ragged and we are all at each others throats.  Add in me, who is nearing the 1 month countdown to her wedding and it makes for some interesting days.

This week is only half over and I am feeling worn out all around.  I think its more mental since I have been forced back inside onto the treadmill.  It didn't seem too bad when I had much shorter run times (half hour or so), but now that my time has nearly doubled I DREAD it.  Hopefully we will have a few more of those sporadic, beautiful days in the upper 30's / lower 40's so I can go back outside. 

Happy Humpday everyone!
2011-02-26 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Hey! We're not doing terribly well on our post-padding here!! *laughing*

I had a busy week and didn't hit some of my workouts. Just not motivated - but it was stressful...

How's everyone doing this weekend?  I did my spin this morning, going to P90X after my BF's son's b-day party this aft.  I have a 14-15k run tomorrow... the 13k last week was unpleasant - but it was SO cold... At least it's warmer this weekend.  Just praying the rain holds off.
2011-02-27 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Hey everyone!! I have a 14k-er today - and my friend Chris is going to ride his MTB with me because he's out with a knee injury.  I'm procrastinating about cleaning my house right now... *laughing*

Stef
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12