General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a laptop backpack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-01 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Running with a laptop backpack

I have done a fair bit of foot commuting. But my circumstances have changed and I am back in school. The course I'm taking is an IT course and I will need to carry a laptop back and forth to school. I plan on foot commuting as much as possible but I am concerned about the bouncing my laptop will have to endure....does anyone run with a laptop backpack? Does it affect the laptop at all?? My run would be 10k each way, so it's not a huge run.

BTW - This is the pack I just purchased MEC Gigabyte. (I have taken it for a 5k easy run with an older computer in it and it feels awesome.)

2011-01-01 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3271442

User image

Regular
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Running with a laptop backpack
Should be fine as long as you get the laptop in the laptop pouch as tight and snug as you can so there is little to no extra room this will allow the laptop to bounce with the bag instead of inside of the bag while the bag bounces. Also where the straps a little tighter than a normal bag. This will help reduce the bounce of the bag itself... All in all there should be no problem in it, and if I was in a similar situation I would probably have no problem doing this.
2011-01-01 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3271442

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Running with a laptop backpack
strap it in well so it doesn't move inside the pack (just moves WITH the pack).  As long as the machine is powered down, it should be fine.  Most modern platter type laptop drives power down into a 'locked down' state that make them more resistant to vibration.  If it's an SSD, then no worries, but I still would keep it shutdown to keep it from cooking.

The backpack I use is a north face pack made for ice climbing.  It has good compression straps and a nice large hip belt, which dramatically reduces the bouncing. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a laptop backpack Rss Feed