United States
44F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 12s
Overall Rank = 23/143
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

Work has been stressing me out and putting me in a shitty mood all week. After clocking out Friday at 54hrs for the week, I came home and napped for 3 hours. Woke up, ate terrible food and drove to Raleigh.
Event warmup:

Jogged about a mile of the course to figure out the turns (it was not well marked). Stretched and jogged a little more around the parking lot before the start.
Run
  • 22m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out too fast and ran the first mile <7min. Dropped to 7:25 for the second. Stayed too long at this pace before sprinting HARD to the finish. I passed 6 people in the last 1/4mile. Still had a little gas in the tank at the end. Last mile was 7:04

HR data is accurate. Can the whole race be anaerobic?
What would you do differently?:

For the last 2weeks I have been doing a lot of speedwork: 1mile hill repeats and 1/4mile treadmill sprints. It payed off well in this race. I had some cramps (which is rare for me... but so is running <7m/m) in the beginning but felt pretty comfortable on the 2nd and 3rd miles.
If I start off slower and break into the final kick earlier, I know I can hit the 21:xx mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched the others finish while eating muffins. Came inside for the awards. Only did 1st and 2nd (no 3rd) so I wasn't sure if I'd place. Somehow got 1st. Josh got 2nd and Erin got 3rd in their divisions. Tri-Warriors are unstoppable.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 23/143
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back loop around the Cary Towne Center with a quick detour around the Miracle League baseball field (for handicapped kids). There was one hill (we hit twice) and much of it was not well lit. Nearly all of my runs are in the dark and have small hills so I felt at home. Other people were complaining.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No