BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-06-27 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3282396

Subject: RE: chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full

Hey all,

Ive been off the boards for quite some time with work being extremely busy. I finished my 2nd race 8 days ago. Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258472

As for riding without socks: about two weeks before the race I attended a clinic for OWS/transistions and the coaches didnt wear socks. They recommended powder in the bike and running shoes to absorb moisture and body glide on the hot spots you get to prevent blistering. Their advice was to absolutely not do it for the first time at a race. The problem with that is if you get blisters that first time, your race will be ruined.

that said i spent the two weeks before the race training w/o socks for the bike and run and did fine without both training and in the race. Body glide or the equivalent is a must. I put it on the tongue and around the opening of the shoes, esp by the heel.

I did a 50 min run today and might have started to get some blisters on my toes on one foot. not sure if i need to lube the front or just to get more miles in w/o socks.

Congrats to all that have completed races thus far this season.

Ive got one 5k, an Oly tri (Nations in Sept) and a Super Spartan race left this season. Hopefully work will be better and ill be able to log/blog with you all.

-Scot

2011-06-28 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3569412

Nice job on completing your first tri!  Did you have a great time? Nice to now what to expect now isn't it?  Are yo posting a race report?  (Man, I'm full of questions today!)
2011-06-28 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3563819

How did your race go?  Did you go sock-less?
2011-06-28 2:53 PM

User image

Regular

This past Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day - good thing I put my request in early!   I was really pleased with my swim & bike; the run, not so much.   Overall, though, I had a great race & even wound up with an award for 3rd in my group.  So nice that all the faster Athenas decided to sleep in...  For all the gory details, see my race report link below. 

Race: Celebration Sprint Triathlon

2011-06-28 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Kristen - wow, an ocean swim for your first tri?  awesome job!  and a 2:40 T1 that included getting off a wetsuit?  that's incredible!  So glad it was a fun day for you.  You really did great! 
2011-06-28 5:39 PM

User image

Regular
Scot - I loved reading your race report.  I had no idea you were a rock star!  And that was only your second tri...  wow.  definitely looks like you're getting back in touch with your inner athlete.  Have you been doing all your training on your own or do you have a group/coach that you train with?  Congratulations on a really nice race! 

2011-06-30 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3571812

Congrats on your podium finish Alsie! great work.  What's next on the roster?
2011-06-30 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3575009

User image

Regular

carolh - 2011-06-30 12:02 PM Congrats on your podium finish Alsie! great work.  What's next on the roster?

I've got a 5k next week (7/12) - the "graduation race" for a women's 5k trng pgm I've been in - then in August, I've got another Sprint Tri (NorthEast, MD). 

How about you?

2011-07-05 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN

Guys - Please, Please, Please forgive me!  I have been a horrible mentor.

I went out of town for work in June, and immediately went on vacation from that trip (I didn't know that I would have no internet access) and as soon as I got back my laptop died on me (still in the shop).  When I returned to work my company had tightened it's internet security and I could no longer get on to post or monitor the forums. 

I am not really sure how I am on at work this morning, but I am going to try and catch up on all of the posts.  I will also try to send out messages to each of you. 

I am so sorry that I have been out of touch while many of you have had your first races and had questions. If I run into this problem again or my ability to be connected to the forum is poor at work please feel free to e-mail me at chrisdotbowersatbellsouthdotcom (using symbols of course) as I still get e-mails to my phone.

I hope the summer is going well for each of you and the training and racing is progressing.

2011-07-05 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3564157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
kpringle - 2011-06-23 1:45 PM

Our masters swim coach who is also a triathlete recommends baby powder in bike shoes to absorb any water left over from swim.  She also puts vaseline around the ankle area on her running shoes b/c she doesn't wear socks for the run when she does a sprint distance (wears socks only for longer distances).  I can't remember if she puts vaseline in her cycling shoes too where you might have rubbing/chafing??

I'm wearing socks and running shoes for both bike and run...

I don't wear socks for either the bike or the run. I use Body Glide around the edge of my running shoes and some spots under the tongue of the shoe that sometimes tend to rub. I don't generally worry about it in my tri shoes for the bike.  I also don't worry too much about the water on the bike shoes as they tend to evaporate quickly or keep sweating if it is a super hot race. They are made with a vent for water in the bottom of the sole and in the toe of the shoe.

2011-07-05 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3559274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
gaz147 - 2011-06-21 2:20 AM

No racing for me yet - still in training! I've got a question though: I've been reading up on fitness etc and keep reading about building a fitness base so that I can perform at a given intensity for a particular period of time, and then introducing intervals of higher intensity to allow me to speed up.

My question is, should this be over the individual times, or the overall race? For example, I can run for 30 mins at my standard running pace quite happily. Do I now work on intervals during that 30 mins in order to allow me to run at a greater pace for that period of time in isolation? This seems to be what people seem to do, but in a race I'll be doing the 30 mins of running, but having already done perhaps 10 mins of swimming and 45 mins of cycling. Am I therefore better concentrating on my ability to exercise for the entire 2 hours or so?

I guess what I am basically asking is "do you train mainly for each discipline individually, or train for the race as a whole?"

Gary,

I believe you train for each discipline individually. You are much more effective with each workout when they are shorter in duration - "quality". Therefore, if the focus is speed or strength or endurance you can give everything to that workout in a shorter block of time. You are less likely to get faster by running at a fast pace for 2 hours, but you can definitely improve speeds by throwing in 2-5 "strides" or "pick-ups" (an increase in pace over what is comfortable) for 20 seconds to 1 minute in the middle of your 30 minute run.  This will allow you to improve your 30 minute run to a 29 minute run, and so on.

2011-07-07 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

?OK

Lets try  this agin.  Race number 3 (now number 2)  is in North Carolinia this Sunday.  Weather  looks good, no rain, maybe some smoke  from  the fires that have been burning  since June.  I'll be starting in wave 9 of 11 (50 and over men).    Would  have like to have some  more OWS  practice only  one day last month  with the jellyfish.  Should not be a problem water temperature is expected to be in the mid 80s and the lake water has to be clearer than the James River and no current. Bike  section is bit longer than a normal sprint 17.5 miles, however it looks fast as most riders finish in under 60 minutesmy best pace  on the flats  of tidewater  is just under 16mph.    I still think  I  can finish in under  2 hours. 

For those of you also racing this weekend gook luck.

Tsvi

2011-07-08 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Good luck at your tri this Sunday, Tsvi! 

I have been totally slacking with training since my 1st tri a couple of weeks ago...  Just returned from a week's vacation and felt like doing absolutely nothing!  I don't feel guilty, it was so nice to take a break!

I have another tri lined up for September and then a 1/2 marathon in October, so time to pick up the training again next week.  It will be more running-focused for me the next couple of months to gear up for the 1/ 2 mary.

Have a good weekend and good luck, racers!!

2011-07-08 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Tsvi - good luck this weekend. You'll do well. Your training has been solid.Kristin - it's good that you don't feel any guilt. We need some breaks in our training.Everyone else - keep at it. The trainng logs that I looked look good. There has been a lot of swimming, biking and running going on.Have a great weekend.
2011-07-09 7:55 AM

User image

Regular

Good Luck Tsvi!  Hope it's a great day & we can't wait to read your race report!

2011-07-11 5:24 AM

User image

Regular

I had a good race on Sunday - in a local women's 5k.  I struggled a bit with the heat/code orange air quality but still finished a minute ahead of my goal :)  and 4:20 faster than last year's time. 

This was the "graduation race" for our RRCA club's women's running program and what a difference 13 weeks makes! 

Race: Womens distance festival

2011-07-11 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3589812

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
alsiedee - 2011-07-11 6:24 AM

I had a good race on Sunday - in a local women's 5k.  I struggled a bit with the heat/code orange air quality but still finished a minute ahead of my goal   and 4:20 faster than last year's time. 

This was the "graduation race" for our RRCA club's women's running program and what a difference 13 weeks makes! 

That is awesome that you passed your time goal and improved from last year...  You must feel so good!!    Congratulations on your race!! All of your training and hard work paid off!!

2011-07-12 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News

All:

Race report  is posted for Triangle Triathlon Sprint, NC (750m,17.5mile,5K).  Finished 5th of 7 in my age group with a total time of 2:07:39.   Was 5th in both swimming  and biking and last in running, see were I need improvement.  Race was a duel between me  and the 6th place finisher.  He had a  minute lead after the swim but I got out of the transition are first and held the  lead all through the bike and first half of the run. He passed me at the just before the 2 mile mark and I re-passed him before the last water station only to be  passed again with about 100m to go, I turned on the after burner took  the lead  with only a few feet to spare and crossed the finish 1sec ahead. What excitement. 

My biggest problem was the bike to run.  Had absolutely no legs after  the bike dismount could barely walk  to  the rack and I took a good mile plus  before  I could  run more than  my slowest pace.   Need to work on this, any suggestions?

The next race is in California, Playa Del Run Aquathlon - 4 Aug (1000m swim and 5K run, No Bike) so I should not have this problem.  Looking to finish in 60 minutes or less.

Hope you all had a successful weekend.

2011-07-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3593382

Nice job on your race Tsvi!

I had the same dead legs on my first tri this spring,  I have been practicing transitions and it seems to help. I will finish my regular bike ride and then run just a little (15 minutes or so) to get my muscles use to changing it up.   It seems to be helping. 

Wish I had your OWS skills!

2011-07-14 4:27 PM

User image

Regular

Wow, Tsvi -

nice swim & good pace on the bike!  I'm still working on finding my legs bike-run, too, but here's some of the tips I've been given to help save my legs for running:  keep a high cadence on the bike (85-90 on flats) using easier gears as needed, don't stand up to power up hills - stay in the saddle, don't worry about trying to pass anyone on the bike in the last mile or two - better to spin easy & flush out your legs before the run.  Congrats on a great race overall! 

2011-07-18 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3597009

My first Oly is coming up on July 30 - any advice on nutrition?  I usually don't worry about it on a sprint but I'm thinking it will be more important in a longer distance.

Thanks,

2011-07-18 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3601680

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
carolh - 2011-07-18 10:44 AM

My first Oly is coming up on July 30 - any advice on nutrition?  I usually don't worry about it on a sprint but I'm thinking it will be more important in a longer distance.

Thanks,

Carol,

You probably do need some nutrition on an Oly, but maybe not as much as you think.  Do you ever take any nutrition on longer runs or rides (over an hour)? nutrition is hgihly personal so you may want to adjust to see what works for you. Here is what I did before my last Oly: Normal breakfast (early enough to digest), 3 gels during the race (one right after I got on the bike and got going, one right before I got done with the bike, and the last one at about the 4k to 5k mark on the run. That is about 300 calories during the race.

Also important is to hydrate well the week of your race (especially the day before) and not just on race morning. Make sure you are well hydrated before your swim start on race day. I generally drink a full bottle per hour on the bike (if it is hot I may drink a little more). I take water on the run course as needed (maybe every other stop).

I also take electrolyte replacement tablets during the race. I take some in the morning when I get up, right before race start, and about every hour during the race.

I hope that helps.  If you haven't done any nutrition or electrolyte replacement in training or other races and you are planning to, you have a short window to practice that in your training between now and race day. 

2011-07-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3593382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
tkatzhyman - 2011-07-12 3:51 PM

All:

Race report  is posted for Triangle Triathlon Sprint, NC (750m,17.5mile,5K).  Finished 5th of 7 in my age group with a total time of 2:07:39.   Was 5th in both swimming  and biking and last in running, see were I need improvement.  Race was a duel between me  and the 6th place finisher.  He had a  minute lead after the swim but I got out of the transition are first and held the  lead all through the bike and first half of the run. He passed me at the just before the 2 mile mark and I re-passed him before the last water station only to be  passed again with about 100m to go, I turned on the after burner took  the lead  with only a few feet to spare and crossed the finish 1sec ahead. What excitement. 

My biggest problem was the bike to run.  Had absolutely no legs after  the bike dismount could barely walk  to  the rack and I took a good mile plus  before  I could  run more than  my slowest pace.   Need to work on this, any suggestions?

The next race is in California, Playa Del Run Aquathlon - 4 Aug (1000m swim and 5K run, No Bike) so I should not have this problem.  Looking to finish in 60 minutes or less.

Hope you all had a successful weekend.

Tsvi,

Good job racing. I love the rush of going head to head with people. On the bike to run I would ask how many bricks have you done in training?  They don't have to be long, but it helps to get the feeling of hopping off the bike and running for 5 to 10 minutes.  Your legs do feel wierd, but after you practice this a few times you will figure out that you may not be going as slow as you think.

Edited by chrisbowers 2011-07-18 2:42 PM
2011-07-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3589812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
alsiedee - 2011-07-11 5:24 AM

I had a good race on Sunday - in a local women's 5k.  I struggled a bit with the heat/code orange air quality but still finished a minute ahead of my goal   and 4:20 faster than last year's time. 

Any time you are ahead of your goal is a plus in my book. And being over 4 minutes faster than last year is a great reminder of how far you have advanced your fitness level. Way to go.

2011-07-22 7:44 AM

User image

Regular

Any suggestions for getting back into training following an unplanned break?  I always let myself have a nice recovery week following a tri, and I don't feel bad about that - I think I need the mental break at least as much as the physical.  My problem is usually the week after that... getting going again.  I had a nice 5k two weeks ago and didn't plan (or need) to have any break in training following it, but I haven't done much since.  I've gotten in a few good bike rides, but that's about it.  I'm hoping that once I get in a good swim workout & a couple good runs that I can shake this, but it's like I'm afraid to find out how much ground I've lost...   and my next tri is in 3 wks...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  

of 13