BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-04-13 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3282396

Subject: RE: chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Open

My biggest question is am I going to survive the run. I love swimming and biking and loathe running. Being big, its always been a challenge and coming at the end of to other events... I'm a little nervous. Esp for the Oly at the end of the season.

My work out today: 800 continuous swim(14:37)/15 min run(1.51mi). Both of which I did this morning.

2011-04-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3443843

User image

Regular
Newport News

????Scott

Can't agree with you more, running is for Gazelles and Cheetahs.  If  we are runners why don't we have  4-legs too?  I like swimming because it's you do it lying down  and biking because you can  coast  on the down hills.  But what do you to when running other than get sore feet.  Whell I guess thats the price you pay to have someone draw numbers all over your body.

2011-04-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3443843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
scotmkf99 - 2011-04-13 7:38 AM

My biggest question is am I going to survive the run. I love swimming and biking and loathe running. Being big, its always been a challenge and coming at the end of to other events... I'm a little nervous. Esp for the Oly at the end of the season.

My work out today: 800 continuous swim(14:37)/15 min run(1.51mi). Both of which I did this morning.

Exactly why you work on running. And work on it some more.  Also, I would say that you need to employ a pacing strategy on the bike to set up the run (meaning don't hammer it all out in the Oly and have nothing left for the run).  As your fitness level increases you can push harder on the bike and still have a great run.  I know this because I tend to do too much on the bike and have had some cramping issues on the run.  By the way, Very good pace on your swim yesterday.

2011-04-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3443672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
gaz147 - 2011-04-13 2:12 AM

1) I have lots! But I'm a bit worried about combining the three activities in a race - I did a bike ride then a run last Friday (first time I've ever done this) and got really bad cramps throughout my legs! Is this something that improves with practice or should I have a quick stretch inbetween?

2) I'm hoping to do a run tonight followed by a trip to the pool to learn front crawl again. (Was planning on doing breaststroke in the race but have read that could cause issues do to space).

Gary, The cramps are going to get better.  It is generally a function of a few things that I have seen in my own experience: 1) Fitness level - going harder than my fitness is prepared to let me go. 2) New sensation for your muscles - transitioning from one sport to the next and to the next - repetition will help that. 3) Hydration and nutrition issues - electrolytes and sweating - make sure you are well hydrated and on longer workouts make sure you have eaten properly before hand and during if the workiout is long enough to warrant that.

I try to swim first then run, for the above mentioned cramping reasons.  Cramping in the pool is no fun! You can do any stroke you would like in your races. Freestyle or crawl tends to be faster for most people. Breast stroke is a good stroke to rest or get your bearings when sighting.

2011-04-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3443508

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Vegasadam - 2011-04-12 10:31 PM

Chris, right now i am not following a specific swimming plan, in fact i am not following any real plan.  My goal was to just work hard to get back in some sort of shape and then start a specific plan  I have contact a swim coach but she is really expensive but i may just take 4 lessons from her to get up to speed.

Hey Adam - I was having a difficult time with swimming more than 50 yards without feeling totally winded when I first started training in the winter.  Part of the problem was my fitness level, but a lot of it had to do with how I was swimming/kicking (too fast so I was burning out).  I took 4 private lessons with a swim instructor at our gym and feel like the $$ was well worth it - the instructor gave me specific feedback on my stroke/kick and how to position my body better in the water to increase buoyancy and reduce drag.  It made SUCH a difference and swimming is not nearly as grueling for me as it once was.

2011-04-13 1:23 PM

O Fallon, MO

Hi Chris, Thanks for mentoring!  If you still have room, I'd like to join.

Name: David Vick

Story: I was a swimmer and cross country runner in high school and managed to stay fairly fit until my mid twenties when I quite working out and started living off pizza and beer while putting myself through college.  I had spurts of activity through my 20's and 30's as I was a reserve member of the Military but always struggled with making the body fat standards (forget making weight) and passing the PT test.  I have bounced between 195 and 240 for the past 15 years and have decided this is the year I make a change.

Family Status: Married(17yrs), Daughter(13) Son(9)

Current Training: I'm 16 week to sprint plan here on BT.

2011 Races: Ultramax TriZou Triathlon (Sprint) 1 May 2011...Maybe more

Weight Loss:  When I started in Jan '11 I was weighing 235. 12 weeks in I'm down to 230 and seem stuck.  I'd really like to get to 170 this year but don't know if I can make that happen.

2011-04-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3444629

User image

New user
Las Vegas
Kristen you are right. While my fitness level isn't where it should be I am not so out of Shape to be exhausted after 50 yards. Hopefully after a few lessons my confidence will go up.
2011-04-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3444689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Dvick - 2011-04-13 1:23 PM

Hi Chris, Thanks for mentoring!  If you still have room, I'd like to join.

Name: David Vick

Story: I was a swimmer and cross country runner in high school and managed to stay fairly fit until my mid twenties when I quite working out and started living off pizza and beer while putting myself through college.  I had spurts of activity through my 20's and 30's as I was a reserve member of the Military but always struggled with making the body fat standards (forget making weight) and passing the PT test.  I have bounced between 195 and 240 for the past 15 years and have decided this is the year I make a change.

Family Status: Married(17yrs), Daughter(13) Son(9)

Current Training: I'm 16 week to sprint plan here on BT.

2011 Races: Ultramax TriZou Triathlon (Sprint) 1 May 2011...Maybe more

Weight Loss:  When I started in Jan '11 I was weighing 235. 12 weeks in I'm down to 230 and seem stuck.  I'd really like to get to 170 this year but don't know if I can make that happen.

Welcome to the group and to BT David. You are certainly welcome to join. Congratulations on the weight loss so far. It is so easy (speaking from experience) to get frustrated when the weight loss slows down or you have a set back. Just look at it as a process and you are heading in the right direction. Probably the single biggest thing that helped me was logging my food (all of it) intake to see how much I was actually taking in each day. It was an eye opening experience.

What plan are you following for your sprint? It is only a few weeks away. Excited yet?

2011-04-14 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN

Question of the day.

Who has thought about their race preperation as a seperate segment of training for triathlon (transition areas, gear, nutrition)? I am laying out my stuff for my first race of the season this coming Sunday and I go through my checklist everytime. I think my wife hates it that I lay out all of my stuff on the bed in the guest bedroom all the week before so I can visually make sure it is all there.

2011-04-14 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3444939

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN

Vegasadam - 2011-04-13 2:57 PM Kristen you are right. While my fitness level isn't where it should be I am not so out of Shape to be exhausted after 50 yards. Hopefully after a few lessons my confidence will go up.

Adam, I find the swim is the one sport that the repetition of training and getting some technique down makes all the difference in the world.

2011-04-14 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3445934

chrisbowers - 2011-04-14 8:27 AM

Question of the day.

Who has thought about their race preperation as a seperate segment of training for triathlon (transition areas, gear, nutrition)? I am laying out my stuff for my first race of the season this coming Sunday and I go through my checklist everytime. I think my wife hates it that I lay out all of my stuff on the bed in the guest bedroom all the week before so I can visually make sure it is all there.

With just over a month left befor my first race, I will admit I haven't put anythought into it. Now that you ask the question, I am realizing that I don't have a clue what I actually need for race day other than the very basics needed to do each dicipline.  I also have no idea what to expcet from the transitions, or how to "train" for them.  At this point every time I read an article or a posting in a forum I feel like I end up with more questions than answers.

2011-04-14 10:59 AM

Hi, hope there is room for one more. I did my first sprint tri last year and had a ball.  This year I signed up for 4 sprints and my 1st oly in July!

I'm an avid rock climber and decided to give this a try to build endurance and fitness.  It has been a great way to stay motivated and connect with an awesome group of people. I try to workout about 5 hours a week but it can be tough with family and work committments.

It is motivating to me to talk to other people about training and their goals and successes. Hopefully we can all encourage each other!

2011-04-14 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Newport News

Question of the day.

I though I was well prepared, had my check list and went over "In my mind" what I wanted to do in each transition.  However when it came to the actual event I spent alsont seven minutes in T1 and a full two minutes in T2.  Just like the individual events I need to physically train on what I am doing.  Next time I plan to include the transitions as part of my last two weeks of training.

2011-04-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3446536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
carolh - 2011-04-14 10:59 AM

Hi, hope there is room for one more. I did my first sprint tri last year and had a ball.  This year I signed up for 4 sprints and my 1st oly in July!

I'm an avid rock climber and decided to give this a try to build endurance and fitness.  It has been a great way to stay motivated and connect with an awesome group of people. I try to workout about 5 hours a week but it can be tough with family and work committments.

It is motivating to me to talk to other people about training and their goals and successes. Hopefully we can all encourage each other!

Carol, welcome to the group. I look forward to talking with you more. I see you have caught the bug, by signing up for 5 this season after your first last season.  It's addictive for sure.

I want to hear more about rock climbing too. Sounds fun. I get out to Colorado every few years to hike up to the top of some of their mountains, but nothing technical.

2011-04-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3446578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
tkatzhyman - 2011-04-14 11:20 AM

I though I was well prepared, had my check list and went over "In my mind" what I wanted to do in each transition.  However when it came to the actual event I spent alsont seven minutes in T1 and a full two minutes in T2.  Just like the individual events I need to physically train on what I am doing.  Next time I plan to include the transitions as part of my last two weeks of training.

I think doing mini triathlon transitions in your driveway or a parking lot is key to getting it right. I try to keep my transition area very clean and simple. Nothing extra in the area that isn't needed. There is a race day checklist in the article section of the site that is good for pre-planning.

2011-04-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3446452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
scotmkf99 - 2011-04-14 10:29 AM

With just over a month left befor my first race, I will admit I haven't put anythought into it. Now that you ask the question, I am realizing that I don't have a clue what I actually need for race day other than the very basics needed to do each dicipline.  I also have no idea what to expcet from the transitions, or how to "train" for them.  At this point every time I read an article or a posting in a forum I feel like I end up with more questions than answers.

Scot, check out the checklist that I mentioned to Tsvi.

2011-04-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3447020

User image

Athens, GA

I would like to join if you have room

NAME: Ail/Ailie       

STORY: I am 35 year old (female) and have done one “season” in this lovely sport. I say “season” as I did 2 races, so I do not think that counts. Was a huge jock in HS (field hockey, winter and spring track, basketball) skiing and climbing for fun, rowed in college. Always consider myself an active person and love being outside, but realized I was not really getting much done when I went to the gym. Signed up for my first tri to support a friend who was doing one, OK and to compete…a little…ok a lot…..I love to compete. Found I liked them and the work that you have to put into them. Makes going to the gym and working out mean something again. I am 5’8” and weight about 160, need to drop weight. I currently hate running probably because I am so heavy now, never really liked it, it was just a means to an end. I like swimming (grew up in New England, summer on boats and the ocean) so open water does not freak me out, OK on the bike, know how to run, just suck at it right now.

FAMILY STATUS: s
ingle with 2 dogs that keep me on my toes

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I am doing the 4-7h winter maintenance program 20 week plan, but that ends soon and I think I am going with the Intermediate or Beginner Sprint 12 plan. I have not decided yet…..

2010 RACES:  
Tri to Beat Cancer sprint, Take Flight tri sprint

2011 RACES:   The same two as last year plus a few more to make a full “season” also maybe an OLY at the end of the season. I have been doing a lot of 5k runs to try and bulk up on the running.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am down about 20lbs since last year, but still have more to go to an acceptable weight in my mind. But it is not so much as hitting a number as seeing the right proportions….

GOALS: 
Want to maybe try for an OLY, but mainly get my running to improve. The bike and swim could be faster but I know that my run is HORRID right now. That is the main reason I am sticking with sprints, the run distance. I don’t see myself really ever going past that, a ½ or full marathon seems ludicrous to me, but who knows….

2011-04-14 2:20 PM

New user

Hi Chris,

I'd love to join this group too - is there still space? 

Name: Karen

Story: I'm a basically a newbie, I have done 3 sprint tris over the last two years.  The mike leg is my nemesis.  I love to swim (not crazy about the churn in a triathlon start but am a confident swimmer so that helps).  I also have a good bit of running under my belt.  I have done 5 marathons and 12 half marathons over the past three years.  Which leads me to the bike.  Not sure what my issue is but I just don't have confidence in it.  It might be the mechanical aspect that something could break, don't know...

Family Status: Married for 20 years this August! 

Current Training: Doing the BT 20 week training program for Half Iron.   I coach a beginner tri swim group and run with a run club on the weekends as part of "the plan".  Working Biking into the picture.  I have a training partner who is equally as timid on the bike so we are working through it. 

2011 Races: The big plan is 70.3 August in September.  Probably will work in an Oly  - possibly Chattanooga waterfont along the way.

Goals: Conquer the bike! Would also like to figure out nutrition as I feel like all these extra workouts are going to force a change in my daily intake.???

2011-04-14 2:54 PM

User image

Sacramento

Hi Chris.  Please add me to the group!

Name: Erin

Story: I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast and tennis player, coming back from an achilles tendon rupture (9/09), and have always been interested in triathlons and adventure racing.  Having turned 40 last year, I figure now is as good as time as any to start pursuing those interests!  My first triathlon will be in September.

Family Status: Single, with furry children (dog and cat).

Current Training: I just started training in earnest last week, with a custom plan generated by BT.  I also play tennis 6-7 times per week, but so far, am finding I am able to get my tri workouts in too.  Just hoping my body holds up!

2011 Races: Luna Bar Challenge in Sacramento on 9/11/11 - .5 swim/20 mile bike/4 mile run.

Weight Loss: Two years ago, I lost 60 pounds and have kept all but 10 of those off.  I seem to have been born with excellent endurance, even at my heaviest weight.  My goal is to get to 185 by the time of my triathlon - currently 216. 

Goals: Learning what I can about having a successful training and triathlon, along with weight loss and improved fitness.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone!

Edited by erinhenke 2011-04-14 3:00 PM
2011-04-14 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
psyched to see some more women joining our group!!    i was feeling very outnumbered, haha!
2011-04-14 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Question of the day.

I have thought a little bit about race preparation but probably not as much as I should!  I'm a list-maker so I'm sure I'll have my list out the week before my first race, making sure I have everything ready to go!  I'm also hoping that once I do some real bricks, that will help me figure out what I really need/don't need and how to place everything. 

I need to be especially careful with the nutrition part since I'm diabetic.  I need to make sure I have my glucose testing supplies with me in transition and bring extra gels (even though I'm only doing sprint distance) just in case my blood sugar gets too low.

2011-04-14 8:21 PM

User image

Regular

Hi, Chris -  I'd love to join your group!  

NAME: alsiedee / Ally
STORY: So far I've been doing more training for triathlons than actually doing them - and I'd like to change that this year.  I'd spent a decent part of my life pretty fit, mainly through biking & volleyball, but I put on a ton of weight when I had multiples 5 yrs ago (at 40).  Then, two years ago, I joined a tri training group & trained for a local sprint.  I was so ready for it, but then I blew out my knee a month before the race & could only do the swim.  I trained again last year, but lost my dad a few weeks before the race.  While I did finish, I obviously was pretty spent emotionally. My goal for this year is to do a couple of sprints & just finish strong.   
FAMILY STATUS: Married (10 yrs), one son & one daughter (5 yr old twins
CURRENT TRAINING: I've been training with a group since late January - one group swim and one bike/run brick with them per week.  I've been getting in a total of 2-3 swims per week, just 1 bike, and 1-2 run workouts.  I've seen a huge improvement in my swim this year; I've gone from barely managing a single 2:30/100 yds to averaging that for 1000 yds.  Biking has been my strength for the past two years, though after last week's first (outside) ride of the season, I have a very long way to go to feel strong again there.  Now that the wx is nice, I hope to add a second outdoor ride each week.  The run is my biggest challenge.  I've just started training with some women from our local running club to help me make sure I get in 3 runs per week. 
LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2009 - NorthEast Md Sprint Tri (swim only)  2010 - WDF 5K (1st since highschool!), Columbia IronGirl sprint tri. 
2011 RACES:  Celebration sprint (Columbia, MD), NorthEast sprint (NE, MD), a few 5Ks throughout the summer, & a 10K in the fall.  My goal is to build up to/train at olympic distances this summer/fall so that I am ready for our local olympic tri early next spring.  
WEIGHTLOSS: Success here will be a big part of getting stronger/faster.  I need to lose a good 40 lbs.  Curiously, I've lost about 2" off my waist since Jan, but I haven't lost any weight to speak of or even improved my body fat %.  The extra weight really kills me on the hills we have here. I'm hoping that those of you who've already succeeded here can give me some pointers on losing weight while training hard. 

I joined a BT mentor group for the first time this past winter & it was great.  I look forward to getting to know you all..

Edited by alsiedee 2011-04-14 8:41 PM
2011-04-14 9:42 PM

User image

New user
Las Vegas
Wow here come the women Kristen. This group is really shaping up!Chris, to answer the question of the day I have spent zero time thinking about transition. I am still just trying to get in some sort of shape.
2011-04-14 9:47 PM

User image

New user
Las Vegas
Does anybody know a good calorie counter app for an iPad or iPhone? I would like to be able to choose foods from a list as well as add calories on their own.
2011-04-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3447823

User image

Memphis

Hi Chris! I'm in Memphis, so would love to join your group - its always fun to meet others in my area.

NAME: mylissahorrocks/ Mylissa
STORY: 3.5 years ago, I decided to work on the "mommy pounds" by getting back in the pool. I trained for a 1 mile lake swim at our childhood home, and completed that. Christmas 2010, I realized it was time to start again, so got on a sprint tri training plan.
FAMILY STATUS: Married (12 years), 3 kids (10,8,6) 2 dogs, 4 horses
CURRENT TRAINING: I completed the sprint training plan second week in March, which got me ready for the Wildman Du in Orlando. Just started Hal Higdon's 10k plan.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: nothing  
2011 RACES:  Move it Memphis 5K, Wildman Sprint Duathlon, - no idea what's next (see recovery section!)
WEIGHTLOSS: Hovering around 130, and having a hard time getting any lower. Would love to get the legs back in shape.
RECOVERY: Shortly after the Duathlon on March 12, my left shoulder locked up - calcific tendonitis. I've been in PT and recovery for this injury, and am now dealing with pain due to an shoulder girdle imbalance. I'm trying to stay on some sort of plan, now that I have full range of motion, but haven't gotten back in the pool.

Was in a BT Mentor group that just finished up...it was so helpful! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chrisbowers group "Now We're Rolling!" - Full Rss Feed  

of 13