Total Body Fitness
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual breakfast of fruit and yogurt with some GoLean Crunch.

My wife and I arrived about 45 minutes before the race started. We found a rack with enough space for our bikes and a single towel to hold our helmets and shoes. After racking the bikes, we did a quick check-in and then hit the lines for the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 10 minutes and did some dynamic stretching
Run
  • 20m 42s
  • 2.15 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Race director split the start of the race into 'racers' and 'runners'. I went with the 2nd group, which was suppose to start 5 minutes after the 1st group. They decided to start the 2nd group on 2 minutes after the 1st group, so we didn't get to position ourselves near the front. This lead to a slower 1st mile (10m/m) because we had to stop and walk at the transition from the path to the single track. Once we hit the asphalt, we were able to get around slower runners without any issues.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front to avoid the slower runners. May start at the back of the 'racers' group for even more room.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Pretty painless transition. Biggest issue was my cold hands and putting on my gloves.

nothing
Bike
  • 26m 21s
  • 6.63 miles
  • 15.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The race was a lot more crowded this year than last, which is probably why the split the start. Lots of riders on mountain bikes and many riders who do not know how to ride in a race (on the right, straight lines, etc.).

Spent a lot of time doing crash avoidance, people would just stop in the middle of the road, swerve in front without looking, etc.

Rode with my wife, since this was her first race and she didn't have a spare on her bike.

Could have ridden faster, but played it safe. The ride was very cold, especially with the mist in the air.

Start with the earlier run group, to avoid the slower riders (faster runners in wave 2)
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

T2 was longer than this, but I was slow to hit the lap button on my watch. Hands were very cold from the bike ride, even with full-finger gloves, so putting on the running shoes was slow.

Hit my lap time sooner
Get quick tie laces for my shoes
Run
  • 19m 21s
  • 2.14 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The slow bike ride did wonders for my second run. Averaged over 30s/mile faster pace, and my back did not hurt coming off the bike.

Ran negative splits, which makes me happy.

Wife and I cruised across the finish line together and did worry about those sprinting to the finish.

Nothing, best run off the bike I have had in a long time.
Post race
Warm down:

We took our bikes back to the truck and then did some walking around and stretching.

After we finished stretching, we took advantage of the hot soup they were serving as the post race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fitness level

Event comments:

Lots of cool stuff given away in post race raffle.

Race benefited a local charity.

Last updated: 2010-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:42 | 02.15 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Run started on an dirt path for 1/4 mile, then moved to single track dirt trails for another 1/4 mile, next 1/2 mile was on pavement. Second mile was mostly single track again, with the last 1/4 mile back on dirt path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:26:21 | 06.63 miles | 15.10 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling out and back with some sharp turns to watch out for with riders on both sides of the road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:21 | 02.14 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same course as the first run, just a little shorter since we didn't run into transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes