Boise YMCA
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 55s
Overall Rank = 59/59 Int
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Since this was an evening triathlon on a weeknight, the pre-race routine was unchartered territory for me. I got up at 8 AM and had scrambled eggs, sausage, and a raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry fruit salad.
My husband and I met up with my brother, niece, and nephew at the Boise Art Museum to see the Georgia O'Keefe Museum. Then we went to the Ann Frank Human Rights Memorial. (If you ever find yourself in Boise, this is a must see). We next met with my sister at Joe's Crab Shack for lunch. I had crab cakes and melon. After lunch, it was time to get our bikes to George's Bikes for a pre-race inspection, all went well except I didn't get to look around :( . We stopped at my sister's and went over transitions and what to bring. Then I went to Mom and Dad's and took a 45 minute siesta. We all piled in the Suburban (Mom, Dad, husband, and me), picked up my sis, and got to the race site.
Event warmup:

There were two separate transition areas (never had that happen before). T2 was quite a ways from T1 and the swim site. So the first stage of my pre-race warmup was walking to and from T2 for setup. The waves were spaced 15 minutes apart, so we had that time to get in the water, warmup and be ready to race. I liked that. The water was really warm, as in too warm.
Swim
  • 09m 14s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wave started at 7:15 PM. The setting sun was blazing and I could not see the buoy. I thought it was my poor eyesight, so I asked a few others in the water, no one could see it due to the sun. After starting out, I went a little wider than I wanted, but got a good angle to see the buoy. between the first and second buoy there must have been a spring that fed the pond because I swam into cool water and I did not want to leave it.
I primarily did the crawl, and threw in some side stroke and a tiny bit of back stroke after the second buoy to catch my breath and finish with a strong crawl.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Didn't know that my T1 was so long. Thought it would be shorter with no wetsuit.
Bike
  • 20m 51s
  • 6 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I am enjoying the bike riding alot on my new bike. I was passed by two or three cyclists. I felt the heat, the temps stayed near 100F. The roads were open during the race, the monitors did am admirable job with trying to direct wacky drivers. The turn around was a half circle driveway at a school. A car followed me into the drive, right on my tail. A course monitor yelled, "hey you're being followed". I thought in my head that this must be what it feels like to be DFL. Then the car continued to follow me back onto the course. Another monitor called out, "Can you beat him?", I yelled back, "I'm going to do my best".
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I am glad that I put a spare pair of socks in T2, the socks I had on during the bike ride were sloshing.
I was slow getting into my shoes.
Run
  • 39m 24s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I liked the run so much that I did it twice. I was coming back in and I had planned to wait at the turn off to the finish area for my sister so I could run with her (Her wave started much later than my wave). Fortunately, just as I got there, she was running by, so I fell in with her. My second loop was faster than my first loop. She pushed me to dig deeper and go faster. I was feeling all happy inside. This spring I ran a half mary with my Dad and now I was doing a triathlon with my sister. And this was special because she had a life-threatening brain aneurysm rupture in November 2004. I was savoring the moment, running stride for stride with her into the finish area at what I believed was our top sprint. Then, that rascal turned to be, flashed a smiled, and said, "Race Ya!" and she kicked it up and called, "Come on you can do it". And I did! I am not quite sure if I caught up with her but it was the best laugh I have had in a race ever!
What would you do differently?:

Bring more water. I had half of my bottle from my bike. I should have had a full bottle at T2.
Post race
Warm down:

We took lots of pictures, laughed, drank lots of water, and had a bunch of grapes. We picked up our bikes at T2, hiked to T1 to discover that all the gear left in T1 was moved out of the parking lot onto the grass and left unattended. My sisters sunglasses got broken and my new Aquasphere googles were gone. Bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and inconsistent training

Event comments:

I did not like having two transition areas that were far away from each other. I hope that they will consider having one transition area next year. There was a lot of vehicle traffic at 7PM on a weeknight on the road, so that made it tough on the course monitors. My sister had a car turn in front of her path while she was racing. The turn out was much larger than expected so that bodes well for the sport in the Boise area.
What a fun race!

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:14 | 400 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 46/59 Int
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top/tri shorts
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:20:51 | 06 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 45/59 Int
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, Out and back with a loop through residential street at the early part of the course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average