General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 hour night shift shedule-anybody else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-19 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: 12 hour night shift shedule-anybody else?
Hi,
Noticed I did not put subject on this one last time posted. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,
Does anyone out there work 12 hour night shifts? How do you fit your training in? I work 3 12's a week, not always in a row. I usually work out the day of the first night then take a nap but then no workouts until the 3 shifts are over since there is really only time for sleep on those days. The day after the 3rd night I try to take a nap and get up and work out but sometimes I feel like I have been hit by a truck and don't feel like I can do anything. The other days are great but I don't want to overdo it on those days-or should I?
Anybody else out there have this kind of work schedule?

Thank you so much,
Jan

2011-01-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3309211

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 12 hour night shift shedule-anybody else?

It all personell preference. On my last deployment I prefered to workout after work, it was a great stress reliever. If I tried to do it before work, I wouldn't do it, I'd opt for the extra sleep as well. But my shifts were in excess of 13 hrs most days and 5 days a week. And in all actuality I didn't take a single day off Aug of 09. That month I don't think I worked out at all. But my schedule was basically 9pm - 10am, and with that I had to actually get up about 7 to get ready and catch a bus, and maybe get back by 11 am, so the only way I could get something done was if I worked out maybe an hour after work.

Nice thing was the had an indoor lap pool at this base in the desert, if I go back again I will mail my old road bike over there and ride to/from work.

But yeah for me the only way was after work.

2011-01-19 2:45 PM

User image

Pro
The boyfriend is on a crazy schedule with two 8 hr night shifts and two 12 hour night shifts every week.

He just started doing quick runs/workouts on one of those fitness trails at a park near his house right after he gets off work (7am). He's actually been sleeping better during the day now that he's doing that.

If you want to squeeze something in on those days, I suggest doing it immediately after your shift. 
2011-01-19 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Not quite in the same boat as you - I work noon to midnight, three on, three off - but it is possible to make it work.  Things I've found that help me out.

1. Get to bed as soon as possible when I get home.  This way I can get in a solid 7-8 hours of sleep and still have time to fit in a short workout before work.

2. Pre-prep as much as I can for my work days so I can easily pack up food and dash out the door without much extra fuss.

3. I'm lucky enough to have a fitness center on my plantsite.  I schedule short runs for my dinner break.  If I can't get the run in during my shift, I suck it up and get it done right after.  During the summer, when the days are longer, I even manage to get outdoors for a run.

4. By necessity, all of my long workouts are on my off days.  Depending on how it all falls out, I tend to double up workouts on nearly all of my days off.

5. Ignore just about everything but sleep, work, and workouts on my work days.  All but the most essential chores are reserved for days off.  I don't have kids to worry about, just an understanding husband, so that makes things a little easier.

It might take a few months of futzing around with your schedule to figure out what works best for you.  Do you have the energy to workout after work?  Are you able to get up early before work?  Can you work out during your shift?  I tried endless combinations and am just now figuring out what I can handle.  Set a goal.  Figure out how many workouts you need to make it happen.  Then have the patience to try out different combos of workouts.  Take notes and keep at it.  You'll find something that fits your needs and your schedule.
2011-01-19 3:11 PM

I work from 2230 to 0730, 6 days and sometimes 7.  I usally take my daughter to school around 0820 and then run/bike after I get home.  If I swim I go right from work and my wife takes her.  It wokrs for me as I sleep better, run away the BS from the proceeding work shift and I am up when she gets home from school.
2011-01-19 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I also prefer to workout (swim or run) in the morning after work. I work 2 days/2 nights, 5 off schedule (12 hour 7 - 7 shifts)

2011-01-19 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
I work three 12s as well, but day shift (7a-730pm). Its tough for me to fit in workouts on the days I work since gotta drive an hour each way to work plus I got 3 kids. My solution is 2 workouts a day. Swim and bike, or swim and run. I also dont schedule mhself to work two days in a row so my rest day is my work day.
2011-01-19 4:43 PM

I work 24 hour shifts, sometimes I get to sleep at night, sometimes I don't.  I have been riding to work which is great because it forces me to get on the bike in the morning after shift, no matter how bad of a night we had.  Then the exercise plus lack of sleep really helps when I take a nap the next day.  On your shift days, do you have time to work out before your shift starts?
2011-01-19 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks everybody for your advice. I think I need to look at the days between my nights to see if I can work in a short workout. Never thought about it helping me sleep better. I take a sedative now to help me sleep. Maybe I won't need that if I plan a workout before going to sleep. I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 hour night shift shedule-anybody else? Rss Feed