United States
YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 238/378
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/24
Pre-race routine:

toast with PB&J and coffee for breakfast. Peed a lot. Guess that meant I was hydrated. Got to the event about and hour and a half before the start. Picked up the race packet and set up transition stuff. Had a apple about 45 prior to start.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the lake to flop around a little. It was like bath water. Glad I wasn't wearing the wetsuit. Pretty much just walked around and tried to relax myself.
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though the water was pretty smooth I still did the entire swim with my head above water. I can do the breathing fine in the pool but get me in a race and I'm too pumped up to relax and get a rythm going. Gotta work on that. I did well but I obviously could have done better.
What would you do differently?:

Try to establish a rythm and get the breathing down.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

This went way better than my previous race. I ran from the swim to transition and then ran with the bike which helped. I didn't use the camel pack and didn't waste time putting bike gloves on.

Get a pair of velcro bike shoes. Doing the laces takes up so much time.
Bike
  • 43m 19s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The out leg was almost all uphill so the first 6 miles or so were really tough and I was getting passed a bunch. It was my first time with the Klein bike and it helped with speed but is just different and I gotta get used to it. Don't like the seat. Since then I've taken it off and replaced it with the seat from my old bike. Much better.

Practice practice practice and I'll get faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

The run from the dismount area to the rack was painful. My knees were just screaming at me. Other than that it was good.

Not too much. Maybe get some of those laces you don't have to tie. I saw a lot of people with those.
Run
  • 30m 59s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

As always it was tough starting out but once I found my pace I was pretty good except for the cramp I had. It started in the bike segment and now was just there being really annoying. It was a stomach cramp. Maybe the apple I had before the race or the Gatorade I had during the bike. It really seems like Gatorade messes me up every time I have it. Do you think that might be a sign to try some other sports drink??? That was just one more thing to have going through my brain. I fought through it though. I wasn't going to let that stop me. There was a guy that passed me with about a half a mile to go and then slowed a little and just hung out in front of me. With about 50 yards to go I snuck right by him and crossed the finish line just ahead of him. You snooze you lose. hee hee.

Change up what I eat before the race and try a different sports drink. Other than that I felt pretty good. My pace could have been faster but I think that will come with more training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Had some snacks. Great spread! They all kinds of homemade cookies and brownies. Also had hotdogs. I know you're supposed to eat a little something right afterwards but I am just so not hungry after putting my body through that. I forced myself to eat a little. Stayed for the awards ceremony as my buddy picked up a third place trophy for our age group. The only time I saw him during the race was at the start and when he whizzed by me on his return route of the bike leg.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramping up. It hurt me during the bike and run. Hopefully tweaking my nutrition will help with that.

Event comments:

what a great organized race. You can tell it's thier 26th annual race. They have it down. They had some nice entertainment afterwards which made me feel like I was in the movie "A Mighty Wind" So folksy. The area was beautiful as well. I will most definately do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 400 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/378
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Rectangle course. Water was like glass.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:19 | 13.3 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:59 | 03.3 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Course: One loop around the lake. Very scenic which helped take my mind of the cramping.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes