General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Southern California Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irvine, California
United States
70F / 21C
Total Time = 1h 44m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race, I had spaghetti and meat balls and some garlic bread. I didn't have much sleep the night before the race. I almost forgot about the race and I ended up sleeping at 11:30pm. I slept well and woke up at 5:30am. Me and my sister was gonna do the race and her friend Anelle was going to carpool with us. For breakfast, I had a banana, bagel, and water. No GI issues so that's good. We left our place at around 5:40 so that we can get a good parking spot. That didn't really work 'coz we got there at about 6:30 since we had to traverse around the closed roads. We parked valet at Hyatt. It's the best $20 we spent since it was across the start/finish line.

I was doing the race with my sister, Anelle, Raffy, Nori, and Thomas. The guys are members of the Fil-Am triathlon club. It's a non-denomination triathlon club registered under USAT. We are mostly Filipinos but we don't discriminate.
Event warmup:

I initially killed some time and talked to the guys that I was gonna do the race with. Our start time was 7:45 and I decided that I will do a 15min warm up before the race. I went jogging for about 13mins before the start of the race. I was running around trying to keep warm and steadily raise my heart rate. Took some photos with some of the gang and lined up for our start time.
  • 1h 44m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile

The race started on time. This was my first half marathon and I knew I was going to PR it. My initial plan was to finish in under 2hrs. I also knew that with my current fitness that I am capable of doing a 1:45 so I lowered my goal time to 1:45. My plan was to run the first 7 miles at 8min/mile and the next 6 miles between 7:30 to 7:40. I knew I was capable because that's what I did in my longest run of 11 miles. Out of those 11 miles, the first 7 was run in 8:20 and the second 3 was done in 7:10-7:20. I was planning to replicate that longest run, or so I thought...

The first 7 miles went as planned. I ran 8min miles and a couple of 8:05 miles. I was feeling great. I was pacing really well and everything was falling into place. I really didn't care how I placed in my AG or overall. I just wanted to execute my plan.

At the 6th mile, I grabbed a cup of water and poured it on my head since I wanted to cool off a little. I didn't drink anything yet 'coz on my 11 mile run, I didn't drink anything and I just had a Gu and that worked well for me.

I had my first drink after the first hour. I think I was at 7.5miles then. I had a cup of water and continued running. Everything felt good. I was planning to run the next 3miles at 7:45 and I did just that. At mile 8, I had a Gu and I felt invigorated. I was telling myself, your plan is doing great young man. I continued that pace until mile 10.

At mile 10, I decided to have more liquids. I always use gatorade when I work out. Unfortunately they didn't have gatorade. They had enduralyte. I though, "What the hell, I might as well try it." I had a cup of enduralyte and two cups of water. That's when the race changed...

At mile 10 I my gut started talking to me. It started growling... I told myself, "It's the endurolyte you fool!!!" So from mile 10 to 11 I had GI issues and my pace definitely slowed down. I think miles 11 and 12 was around 8:30 or so. It became a mind game from then on. I kept telling myself, "Don't even think about it." I released flatulence twice. I checked if anybody was tailing me but I didn't really care. I needed to "release." I told myself, "You got 1 more mile and you should be ok." Boy I was wrong...

Mile 12 marker came and that's when it became a battle... It was world war I between my anatomy and my brain. I was planning to make the last 3 miles hurt but it didn't really hurt. At 11.25 miles, the real battle began. I started getting goose bumps and I was getting cold. I started getting cold sweat. All that happened because I felt the urge to go number 2. The urge was very strong... I was zoning out and not about the race... The urge was so great that I moved towards the right lane and looked for porta pottyies. I really didn't think that I can hold it for .75 of a mile. The porta potties was at the finish line so no potties in sight. I even though of just getting off course and just maybe squatting somewhere and let nature do its course. Of course it was only a thought and I obviously didn't do it. I decided to stop and walk a little bit. I decided to walk for 30 seconds and to gather my bearings. After 30secs of walking, I decided I would go for it. I told myself, "Gluteus maximus don't fail me now!!!" I clenched the the cheeks for the remainder of the run...

So I was off running for .6 of a mile in 8:00 pace. I just wanted to finish and take care of business. Then our friend was at the 12.85 mile mark and there he was running with me pushing me to sprint it. I did sprint it all the way to the finish. I finished in 1:44:04.

Miraculously, the call of nature slowly fainted into oblivion after the finish line. I had a banana, juice, water, and whatever was in the goody bag. I took a final glance at the porta potties and tried to feel myself out again and see if I needed to go. I didn't.
What would you do differently?:

Don't try anything new during the race especially drinks. I can pretty much stomach any food when I'm training but not liquids I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't warm down. I just talked to the buddies and took pictures. I was telling them how my race went and they were laughing. I waited for my sister who finished at around 2:24 lowering her prior half marathon time by 1 minute. I stretched while waiting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI problems!!! Also, my longest run was two weeks prior to the half marathon which was 11 miles. My last run before the race was the Saturday a week before the race. It was a 3mile run after a 50 mile ride. I mostly swam the week of the race and played tennis once. I kinda felt that I was not ready for the race but oh well.

Event comments:

This was an excellent race. I had a solid plan that I executed to the best of my ability. I could have probably gone 2-3 minutes faster if I didn't have any problems. This was my first half marathon and I thought I did great eventhough I had the experience I had. I wanted to do 1:45 and I did it in 1:44, problems and all. I will probably try to do this race every year.

All in all, a great and funny first half marathon!!!

Last updated: 2011-02-06 12:00 AM
01:44:04 | 13.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

2011-02-07 12:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
Subject: Surf City Half Marathon

Edited by arkmann 2011-02-07 12:46 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City Half Marathon Rss Feed