Kinane Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 14m 51s
Overall Rank = 90/2435
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/243
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race at 5:15. Parking was becoming an issue then but we got a spot within a half mile of the start. Friends of ours got there at 5:30 and had to run a mile from their car straight through the starting chute. Parking is a major issue if you are driving.

PB & Honey for breakfast at 5. Gel right at the start.
Event warmup:

Good stretch really focusing on my hamstrings and IT Bands. Tested my heel a little but not much running prior. It was too crowded to get to the pacer or corral I wanted but the full only had 2500 runners so no big deal. The half had 18000 that started an hour later.
Run
  • 3h 14m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out with the 3:10 group. I debated going out with the 3:15 group because of the problems I had the last few weeks of training. Since there was no 3:15 group I decided on the 3:10. I felt if I could keep my nose out of the breeze and not go out too fast like i always do, I could hold 3:10.

I caught up to the 3:10 pacers fairly quickly and tucked in behind the group. I felt really comfortable and the heel felt the best it had in 3 weeks. I broke the race down into 4 sections and had goals for each one. The first 7 was just to warm up and get loose. Second was to really concentrate on form. Third was to concentrate on nutrition and hydration and the last was to hang on. Stayed with the pace group until mile 20 without much to report.

At mile 21 I noticed the pacer take off. First thought was WTH? It took me a second to realize I was slowing down and he didn't speed up :) Wheels came off in a giant way. I was really disappointed in myself for letting the pacer go. It just happened so fast! Recovery mode now.

I ran the next 3 miles trying to stop the bleeding and get into a pace I could hold. I started to panic a bit but told myself to relax and make a push at mile 25. 3:15 was the only real goal from the start but it was in jeopardy.

In miles 25-26.2 I was able to drop my pace back down to 7:50 ish running as hard as I could run. A couple hours earlier 7:05 felt so easy! I had to go deep here. All the disappointment I had letting the pacer go was made up for in this push. I had nothing left at the finish line, nothing.

3:14:51... not much time to spare :)
What would you do differently?:

I didn't finish the training well because of the heel problems. I almost didn't race because of it so I am happy but I will finish my training better next time.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate and drank everything I could get my hands on to wait for my wife to finish. I was a shuffling limping mess. Every time I tried to stretch I just started to cramp. I tried to get a massage but I finished with the bulk of the half so the lines for everything were crazy. We then drove 5 hours home so my warm down was less than ideal :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heel problems late in the training.

Event comments:

This is a race focused on the half and it is crowded. Be prepared for lines, traffic and parking issues. If you can stay in the host Hilton, DO IT!!!!!

Fun race, great medals, and a free beer garden, what else do you need?

Overall fast course.

Last updated: 2011-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
03:14:51 | 26.2 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/243
Overall: 90/2435
Performance: Good
Course: The course went out around a park then back to the beach the first half then an out and back along the beach the second roughly. I had about 200 ft elevation gain the first 6 miles per my Garmin then pretty flat after that. There were some short hills that you felt but overall a fast flat course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes