New York Road Runners
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 3s
Overall Rank = 2069/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1561/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, hung out with my son, had a bagel and pb and some coffee & drove to the race with Danny.
Event warmup:

Wandered around, dropped off luggage. Did a short job and some warmup stretches once I got into the corrall
Run
  • 34m 3s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The race started as NYRR races always do--at a walk. I didn't really hit my stride until 100y or so past the start line. In general, I held a pretty steady pace throughout. I didn't stop at any of the water stops and never looked at my watch at all. I was just trying to go as fast as I could go without redlining it too much. I tried to pick out some pacers and did pretty well. The pack got crowded in the last mile and it was hard to maneuver sometimes. I lost a couple of my pacers that way.
The finish line comes up quickly, so I was able to give a hard sprint the last 50y or so.
What would you do differently?:

I suppose it would help if I lied about my pace and started closer to the front. As it is, I'm in the 8:00 pack, which, while I did run this race in 32 minutes twice before, it was in 2008. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm getting faster. Again.
Post race
Warm down:

Got an apple and a bagel, which I ate half of. Had a cup of water. Felt ok-- no leg problems at all. Walked back to baggage and got dressed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's been a while since I've been able to run this fast. This time is more than a minute faster than the 4-miler I ran in December.

Event comments:

This race has no post-race activities, but the pre-race activities are good. It's a good crowd, a lively atmosphere, and not as crowded as it's been in the past. I skipped it last year and missed doing it. I was happy to do it again. It's a fun race.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:03 | 04 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR averaged 167 and peaked at 180.
Course: One half loop of Central Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: