Run in Texas
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 33s
Overall Rank = 23/99
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Event warmup:

Medium walk from the parking area to the start location. Took about 5-minutes. No line at packet pick-up. I was ready about 10-minutes early, then stood around and tried to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 24m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. I was hoping for just "solid" effort of 9-minute miles. Beat that by quite a bit. Went out slow the first couple of miles, but picked it up in the middle of the race. After things got shook out from a pace standpoint, I passed a couple people in the third mile. After that I only saw three other runner until the end of the race. One guy passed me at about the 6-mile point, then I passed two others in the last two miles.

I would recommend this race to people new to the trail running scene, who want to get a taste. The trails are very non-technical and easy. Race is small but well organized.
What would you do differently?:

I made the classic trail runners mistake of blindly following another runner when I caught up to him at the 9-1/2 mile point. He took a wrond turn, and I just followed right behind. Realized the mistake about a minute down the trail. STUPID! I would also carry my hand-held bottle, not beacuse you really need it for this race, but because I think it's a good experience builder since I'm trying to get used to the hand-helds.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Hung out at the fire for a while and got a plate of barbeque. Waited around and saw that I was 3-places from the poduim, so I skipped the 30-minute wait for the awards and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went out too slow. Should have started at a faster pace from the get-go. Also, the wrong turn cost a minute or two.

Event comments:

This is great trail race for people who want to get a taste of what trail runs are like. The course is very easy, for a trail run. No hills to speak of and the single track really doesn't have any significant hazards.

Last updated: 2011-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:33 | 10 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 23/99
Performance: Good
Course: This is a flat course, mostly on single track, but several miles is on jeep road and powerline/pipeline right-of-ways. Footing is VERY good. Very few roots or other obstacles to watch out for. Depending on weather, this course could be muddy. In 2011, there were only about four or five wet spots to watch out for.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes