General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about road tires, presta values Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-11 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Question about road tires, presta values
I have several newbie questions relating to my new tri bike.

What's the average PSI for a road/tri tire, is it 100 or 120? For some reason, my tire doesn't have the PSI on the side wall like on my MTB tires do.

How do you let air out of the presta value? I push it and pull it and nothing happens.

I assume that with so much PSI, a hand pump that can handle presta values will not work? Is that why people have CO2 or how do people pump their tires without a hand pump????

Edited by auto208562 2005-08-11 12:12 PM

2005-08-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #222771

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Question about road tires, presta values

auto208562 - 2005-08-11 12:05 PM I have several newbie questions relating to my new tri bike. What's the average PSI for a road/tri tire, is it 100 or 120? For some reason, my tire doesn't have the PSI on the side wall like on my MTB tires do.

This depends on the tire you ride.  I've had some that are 120 and others that are 140 psi.  If you don't know for sure, ask your LBS.

How do you let air out of the presta value? I push it and pull it and nothing happens.

There's a nipple that you have to unscrew.  Try twisting the top and the little nipple pops out. Then you push it to release the pressure.  (*NOTE* Yes, I know how this sounds.  Just leave it alone.)

I assume that with so much PSI, a hand pump that can handle presta values will not work? Is that why people have CO2 or how do people pump their tires without a hand pump????

It is possible to inflate these tubes with a floor pump.   Many frame pumps will only got to about 120 psi.  So, depending on which pump you have and which tires you are using, you should be able to use a regular floor or frame pump.  CO2 is mostly for speed.  Again, for more info, consult your LBS.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about road tires, presta values Rss Feed