Lost Dutchman Marathon
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 06m 1s
Overall Rank = 215/547
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0300, had some cereal. Hit the road at 0330, got parked at 0430 and caught the shuttle to the start. Hung out by the fires and stretched, Had my 5 hr energy and G1 before the race.
Event warmup:

Stretched and light jogging
Run
  • 4h 06m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a good race for me. Started slower than normal to conserve energy and it did not matter in the end. I had a good pace early, but hit mile 21 and my legs died. Calves cramped up at mile 25 and ankles were weak, too. Not happy with the end of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I am not sure how to fix my problem. I run plenty of miles, including long runs, so it is not the mileage. I need to get some help and advice to ensure I have some juice in the tank at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so frustrated I went through the chute, got my finisher medal and went straight to the shuttle and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same problem as always - I ran out of gas and cramped up late in the race.

Event comments:

I like the course, staff and overall race itself - just not my results.

Last updated: 2011-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
04:06:01 | 26.2 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/52
Overall: 52/547
Performance: Below average
Wore a HR monitor for the 1st time during a marathon. Stayed between 165-170 most of the race, with a few spikes and lulls. Carried the first 2 uphill sections fine, but was out of gas on the last one at the tail end of the race.
Course: Nice course, starting at the edge of the Peralta Trail in the Superstition Mountains. Forest Service road run for the first 6 miles, then onto pavement. 3 noticeable uphill sections, equally spaced out on the course, and some good downhill sections as well (including the FS road).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-20 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: Lost Dutchman Marathon

2011-02-21 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3364494

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Lost Dutchman Marathon

Great job yesterday.  I struggled out there, but you were able to keep on track to the very end.  I think the hills were deceptive - they weren't bad, but over time, the ups and downs take their toll.  At least be glad that you were done before the weather took a nasty turn - those of us that were still out there had some bad winds and rain to deal with after 11:00. 

2011-02-21 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3364744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Lost Dutchman Marathon
Thanks Brian - it was a fun course overall.  I noticed the rain pick up when I got to my car - I felt for everyone still on the course or hanging out at the finish.  At least it waited until the end and did not pour on us before and during the run down the mountain.

I think the hardest part of the course for me when on Broadway toward the end.  It was just a a LONG stretch of road where I was already out of gas. Kept waiting for that turn to come and it took forever.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lost Dutchman Marathon Rss Feed