General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Consideration .. to change or not to change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-22 8:14 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
Subject: Bike Consideration .. to change or not to change
So I've been doing Tri's for a little over a year now.  I'm riding a Specialized Elite (I guess upper end of entry level bikes for specialized).  I really enjoy riding and have my bike set up so I'm pretty comfortable even on longer rides.  Part of that is likely my body has changed as I have dropped weight.  But I had a professional fitting and overall I like my bike.  Nothing too fancy and it is suiting my purpose.  I'm totally a back of the packer and just enjoy participating in tris.  Signing up gives me a goal and forces me to remain committed to training.  I'm goal oriented no doubt.  Without a goal I'd find myself back on the couch. 

So, when does it make sense to go to a nicer/upgraded bike (carbon frame, etc.)?  I probably won't go the tri bike route just because I'm about comfort.  So will likely stick with a road bike configuration.  I have shimano 105 group on my current bike and am pretty pleased with everything really.  So for me, is there any real advantage to moving to a carbon frame/etc?

I appreciate any feedback any of the bike experts have.

thanks,

Bruce

2011-02-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3366537

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Bike Consideration .. to change or not to change

I  moved to a carbon frame last year, after three seasons on my aluminium bike with a triple chainring.  My new bike has a compact double setup and campagnolo shifting, so it is quite different.  However, the biggest difference was the comfort from the carbon.  It absorbs a lot more bumps from the road, therefore making the long rides much more tolerable.  With my old bike, after 70+ miles on not-great roads, I would feel "shattered" in my upper body, and was used to bracing my arms for every bump I saw.  Now, on the carbon (my beloved Pinarello) it is not an issue.  I love being able to just go and go and go and not feel like I am destroyed by the end.  Tired, yes, but that is from hours riding, not from bumps.  I am picking my bike up at the shop today, I changed to a standard double chainring and new rear cassette to give me more power and efficiency.  Yay!  It doesn't hurt to hear all the compliments on my gorgeous bike, too! 

It sounds to me like your current bike is suiting you just fine.  I don't know what distances you are racing, but I did a HIM on each of my bikes, and was much happier on the carbon.  Of course, I'd ridden a lot more miles before that race, too.... but... I really felt good coming off the bike and getting into the run, whereas the previous year I was ready to die coming off the bike!  Different courses, etc.... but that's my two cents.  You might, for fun, go test ride different carbon frames and see if there is a noticable difference.  You may find it isn't something you need to spend your money on now, or you may have an aha moment.....   Good luck!

2011-02-22 11:08 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
MA:

Always appreciate your input!  My distances aren't too long now but will be doing some 35-50 mile rides towards mid-summer.  I'm doing the MS150 in Sept (a fund raiser for MS research).  We'll do 100 miles on Saturday and then 50 on Sunday.  The distances I'm riding now will quickly start averaging over 20 miles in the next few weeks so I'll start to really consider your points as I note the comfort or discomfort of the longer rides.  I guess I'll just monitor how things progress and then maybe invest in a bike upgrade if needed.

Thanks

Bruce
2011-02-24 9:28 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
I would stay on your current bike until you have a good reason to change.  If it is comfortable and functional, then keep riding it. 
2011-02-24 11:53 AM

New user
Needed is hard to define.  If you are competative in most races and need those few extra seconds, then yes.  Or, if your paycheck was dependent on your results, yes.   Other wise its a want in my book.

I upgraded last year, carbon bike and carbon wheels.  I have not regretted the investment.  But, it was an investment I could afford in my budget, and my previous bike setup was limiting my success (I was struggling to obtain some of my goals even with changes in training).

The worth of the upgrade is up to you.  I can finish a tri with my $120 Walmart moutain bike, but I believe my upgrades have been worth the increases in performance and time.  However, some of those improvements are not cheap.
2011-03-26 10:59 PM

New user

It sounds like your components are good and you are happy with your setup.  If you have plenty of money around and just want to do it then what the heck.  It is a steep expenditure though if you don't "need" it and are happy with your setup.  Carbon isn't always "better".  You should try one first and see if it feels any better.  If not then you have your answer. 

2011-03-31 4:03 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA

There is certainly a mental component to buying a carbon bike that a lot of people discredit or do not talk about. I can tell you that after purchasing a carbon bike I was much more inclined to get my moneys worth out of it (IE ride more because the bike cost quite a bit / do higher mileage rides to test the carbons ability to keep me going). It definitely gives you the sense that you are an enthusiast and that you take the sport seriously. Whether or not spending the money to make yourself feel better about yourself is worth it is up to you. The reviews and science behind carbon fiber are clearly there. I can tell you, however, that the heaviest and slowest aspect of your bike is yourself and finding a way to get into a more aero position will yield the greatest results by far.

BTW - Your component set is pretty good so maybe I would look into buying a used carbon frame and moving everything over if possible?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Consideration .. to change or not to change Rss Feed